A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,874
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WIRE Q&A  (Read 4522 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wildcheddar

sugar magnolia, sunshine daydream

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2004 06:42:19 PM »

i just received an order of 20 g 1/2 hard sterling silver wire from a company called rio grande.... basically, i'm pretty unhappy with it. it's sort of flat and ribbony.  previously i had been working with cheap craft wire from joann fabrics.  is all silver wire flat-tish? does it warrant a complaint? it's incredibly hard to work with (i want to make bead and wire jewelry, using pliers and a wigjig if i ever get one)

whats the deal.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005 01:04:24 PM by krazigal72 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

don't tell me this town ain't got no heart
Inna
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004 10:24:49 AM »

the problem is that you got "hard" wire. You needed to order the "soft" stuff.
Try heating it before you bend - it will get easier.

Inna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Drama llama ding dong
Gierma
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004 06:28:23 AM »

Silver wire comes in all shapes and sizes, but as the earlier writer said. If you are to make wire jewellery you need to either buy the soft stuff, or heat it with some type of "fire" heat source. Like a blow torch, then place the silver in cold water, and it will go cold again, but it will be softer...

while you are working with it, it will get harder and harder and harder, even if you buy the soft stuff. SO i would suggest heating it anyway...

thought when you heat it, it will go black since the impurities of the silver comes out...and you might need to pickle it, or you can just polish it...with a polisher...and you can aslo easily get "fire marks" on the silver, shows up like a dark shadow on the silver, and that needs to be brushed out...and that is easiest to do with a proper polishing machine and a brush and tripoli...it's very hard to brush things manualy enought to get out fire marks...

anwyay, I say give the company a call saying that it wasn't what it said it was going to be...

also make sure that you buy round wire, and not flat wire or oval wire

//m
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fashionhappy
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004 12:12:14 PM »

Where do you all buy your sterling silver wire? The bead store near me sells it but it's very expensive ($10 for 5 ft of 20 gauge). I bought some wire off a power seller on Ebay for a much better price but the transaction went badly and she sent me the wrong gauge. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to get sterling silver wire?
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004 08:47:55 AM »

Hi there -- you didn't mention whether that price was for dead soft, half-hard, etc & for round, half-round, etc ??

If it's dead soft / round sterling wire -- your store's price might not be as bad as you think (just like gold, silver's higher now than it's been in quite a while).

Just so you can compare that price with those from a fairly big bead&supplies company [[ FMG, that is, Fire Mountain Gems -- either print catalog or online at www.firemountaingems.com ]]:

5-foot pkg , 20 gauge round dead-soft sterling wire is $ 9.97 per pkg if you order only 1 or 2.

You could save some if you ordered 3 to 5 pkgs at the same time, that's $ 7.22 per pkg.
And it would be only $ 5.39 per pkg if you could order 6 or more at the same time.

[[ I use half-hard round sterling wire though, that's a bit higher --
1 - 2  5-ft pkgs @ $13.39 ea. ,  3 - 5 pkgs @ $ 9.45 ea. , and  6+  @ $ 7.71 ea.]] ...

There could possibly be less expensive places online to find sterling wire (did you try googling?). However,  I happen to like FMG because I really prefer phone-ordering from a print catalog to ordering from a website,  & because the service is very very friendly and helpful, & because shipping is surprisingly fast despite the fact that FMG is on the other side of the U.S.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2004 08:51:06 AM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
purple_hippo
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005 02:48:42 AM »

just something else to think about -
i use tinned copper wire which is sturdy, looks silver and is fairly well priced from electronics stores....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftaholic on the loose....I just....     ...need...          ...one...               ...more...                    ...shot...                         ...of craftahol...
goldigold
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005 11:58:03 AM »

Metallifferrous (sp?) and Rio Grande are excellent sources too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fake_moustache

One day, everything I own will be made of yarn.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005 03:08:25 AM »

I've been interesting in wire jewelry for a long time. I tried my hand at it a few times, immitating cool designs I found. My basic taste is for the swirling loops combined with strung beads, that sort of thing. The wire I bought was very very pliable, too pliable actually, and wouldn't hold the shape to save its own life.

Am I, perhaps, using the wrong kind of wire? What's the right kind to use? Or is there a technique for setting the shape?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I feel no need for any other faith than my faith in the kindness of human beings. I am so absorbed in the wonder of earth and the life upon it that I cannot think of heaven and angels." -Pearl S. Buck
Ayn
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005 06:44:29 PM »

If using sterling you should probably start with fairly thick wire -- at least 18 or 20 gauge -- and with half-hard wire. [[ You may have had what's called soft or full-soft, which can be quite flexible or 'floppy' and isn't good for anything that must hold a shape by itself &-or bear weight, such as a jump ring or a regular nonwrapped loop or a clasp ]

As for craft wire, I believe several brands offer various thicknesses (another word for wire thickness is "gauge") but I'm not sure they have different hardnesses (another word for wire hardness is "temper").

EDITED TO ADD THIS::
See this is what happens when ya get old, lllol -- I *just now* remembered this! ::
It 'is' possible to make soft or dead-soft sterling silver wire somewhat harder & less floppy by [1] working it (that is, by the mere act of bending-looping-wrapping-twisting-etc) &-or [2] pounding / hammering it. 

For [2], I believe you're spozed to have a special silverworking type hammer but if you have some wire scraps just experiment with whatever tools you might happen to have on hand already. For example, a rubber mallet or a meat pounder or a small regular hammer (with the last two you should probably put something fairly thick & cushiony -- oh say like the stuff used for corns & calluses -- between the tool & the silver wire).

Think you're also spozed to have a special "anvil" on which to lay the silver wire to be pounded / hammered -- but again, various other hard surfaces around the house could also work just for the initial experimentation.   
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005 08:23:33 AM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005 07:04:51 PM »

i agree w/ Ayn, I usually use an 18 gauge half-hard wire and it works fine for me
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Beanbag Chair
How to Make a Birch Bark Basket
How to Make a Doggie Bag Tote
How to Make 3D Felt Flowers
How to Knit a Blanket
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...