A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
423 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: You Can't Catch Me, I'm the Gingerbread Man - Garland  (Read 1690 times)
Tags for this thread: garland , gingerbread_man  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Banga
I'm made out of Laffy Taffy.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 02, 2010 09:42:00 AM »

I never need an excuse to get crafty. I never need an excuse to eat cookies. When I get the opportunity to do both simultaneously, a happy girl am I. Archway Cookies is hosting a little photo challenge with my hero Babette of BakeSpace fame, so I had to throw my name in the hat. I scored a bulging box of holiday cookies from Archway with the instructions to create something that would capture the holidays and snap a photo. No baking required. Most of the cookies were too soft to use for any real crafting, since I wanted to make something that would last. No sense creating something I'll just have to toss! Luckily they were all good enough to eat, especially the Candy Cane flavor (which was gone in a day. Actually, hours.). The Gingerbread Men were the only cookies I thought might hold up, so this garland was born.

Want to make you own? Here's how:

Gingerbread Man Garland

What you'll need:
One bag of Archway Gingerbread Men
Spray Shellac or Lacquer
Mod Podge, Sparkle
E6000 craft adhesive aka the best stuff ever
1/2 inch Eye Pins
Baker's Twine
Red and Clear Crystal Beads

What you'll do:
Step 1: Sort through your bag of cookies and set all of the whole gingerbread men aside. Stuff the broken ones in your mouth.

Step 2: Using a pastry brush, brush all of the crumbs from all sides and edges of the cookies.

Step 3: Lay the brushed cookies out on a non stick, disposable surface outside or in a well ventilated area, like your garage. I used a slick poster board, but parchment or wax paper would work. Make sure you read the instructions and drying times on the can before you start! Spray well with a coat of shellac or laquer (or if you're like me, have your husband do it. Those fume aren't good for baby!) Once dry, flip and spray the backs. Repeat to give cookies three coats of shellac.

Step 4: Move your little project inside where it's warm. Using a foam brush, brush each cookie with a coat of Sparkle Mod Podge. Yes, it looks white, but don't fret. It will dry clear and shimmery. Allow to dry completely.

Step 5: Carefully slide an eye pin straight down into the top of each cookie. Right into the little man's noggin. Be gentle! Even though you've sealed them, they can still break! Remove the eye pin, dip into E6000, and slide back into the hole. Wipe any excess glue and allow to dry overnight.

Step 6: Measure out your desired length of baker's twine. Make a knot a few inches from one end and string on beads and a cookie in your desired pattern. Make another knot next to the last bead. I used three fingers to measure the spaces between cookies and tied another knot before continuing to string. Repeat until you run out of cookies or twine.

There are more photos on my blog, too! http://jojobean26.blogspot.com/2010/12/you-cant-catch-me-im-gingerbread-man.html
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012 05:15:19 AM by Banga » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Place an etsy order, enter CRAFTSTEROCKS & user name at checkout for free shipping!  Etsy! ~
Flickr ~Wist ~ Blog
sonicsink
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010 10:31:15 AM »

So simple and so beautiful! I hope you win!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gleangenie
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010 11:16:31 AM »

Really pretty and elegant garland. And a lovely photo, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Banga
I'm made out of Laffy Taffy.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010 06:35:04 PM »

Thanks ladies! I updated the post above since the poll for voting is now up here: http://networkedblogs.com/bkWCx?a=share&ref=nf

They are giving the same box of cookies participants got to one voter (picked by random drawing). If you want to win them you can just click and comment with your vote. Go #12 Tongue

I'm totally making pendants and earrings with my extra glitter men, by the way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Place an etsy order, enter CRAFTSTEROCKS & user name at checkout for free shipping!  Etsy! ~
Flickr ~Wist ~ Blog
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011 12:23:40 PM »

This is awesome! I was sad to see you didn't win the contest. I may make this for my tree this year, especially because I'm having a Christmas Candyland themed dinner party! (I think cookies count in candyland. . . )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

InkedKnitter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011 10:56:50 AM »

What a great idea! This looks so lovely, I may have to try this myself. hopefully i can find some cute gingerbread men in the UK.

Dawn x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Lemon Curd Shortbread
How to Make a Pancake Cake
How to Make No Bake Oatmeal and Raw Honey Cookies
How to Cook Fruit on the Grill
How to Make Gluten-Free Pistachio and Poppy Seed Financiers
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...