A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
718 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A few of my hats  (Read 1140 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sherrrry561
« on: December 01, 2010 06:53:52 AM »

Here are links to a few photos of hats that I've made:

A Pumpkin Hat that I made after seeing a knitted one my cousin made:

A hat I made from embroidery floss:

A hat and scarf that I made for my niece:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010 06:58:50 AM by fantasticmio - Reason: added the pics » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kyut530
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010 07:32:25 AM »

Those look fantastic! was it hard to do the increases in the rounds with the holes? I hadn't gotten the hang of it yet ^^; ...then again, I hadn't tried making hats in a while!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter by day, crafter by night
but my shift changed... oh right...
ohmymetro
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010 09:52:11 AM »

oh i really love them all!!

what size hook did you use for the embroidery floss one? i can't imagine ever having the patience to complete that!

and i really especially love the colors of the last set, your niece is quite lucky!  Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sherrrry561
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010 07:00:18 AM »

Those look fantastic! was it hard to do the increases in the rounds with the holes? I hadn't gotten the hang of it yet ^^; ...then again, I hadn't tried making hats in a while!
Thanks! On the pumpkin hat?  Not sure which hat you mean.  If it's the pumpkin one I worked it as a rectangle and slip stitched one end (which would be the top part) and every 6 rows I did hdc, ch, hdc, ch....across the row.  I think this one is hdc.....I made a few of them and made improvements on each one.   Then I stitched it at the seam and worked in the round for the green part.  On the edge I did reverse sc (crab stitch).   

On the green/orange one I don't remember....I made that two years ago!  I don't recall if I used a pattern or just used a pattern as a guide and made the rest as I went along!

oh i really love them all!!

what size hook did you use for the embroidery floss one? i can't imagine ever having the patience to complete that!

and i really especially love the colors of the last set, your niece is quite lucky!  Smiley Smiley

Thanks!  I think I used either a E or G hook, two strands of floss held together.  I'll have to dig out the pattern and see which hook I used.   The time consuming part of the embroidery floss hat is making the balls of floss!  I laid out all the colors that I had and tried to arrange them so it would look random.....somehow I got too much red together, thus the very red top.   Yes, I knotted the floss and left long tails which I crocheted into the stitches as I went along.  I'm going to make another one soon!  It is very soft and comfortable.   I used a pattern from a Vogue hat pattern book, I think......When I get a chance I'll get the book out and let you know which one it is.

I have made many hats and the funny thing is that I don't really like to wear them but I love making them!  I know my profile pic is me in a hat.....I can wear them long enough to model them and that's about it.  Any longer and I feel suffocated, but not in a claustrophobic way.....it's hard to describe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010 11:29:16 AM »

Love the pumpkin, and thanks for the hints on how you made it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
khalleron
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010 05:33:44 PM »

I really love the color progression on the floss hat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sherrrry561
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010 06:35:08 PM »

Thanks Ladies!

I found the book with the embroidery floss hat pattern!  It is in this book:  Vogue Knitting   Crocheted Hats on the go!  It's a small book with 22 hat patterns for about $12 (USD).  What a bargain!

The pattern is called Mini Ruffle Pillbox Hat designed by Kathy Merrick

I used the E hook as suggested in the pattern but did not use DMC brand floss....I got the big economy pack at Michael's!  I figured out total yardage and added some extra for good measure.

The hat in my profile pic is from this book as well.  It's called the Mohair Flower Cloche.  I didn't use the mohair yarn as in the pattern.  I used Wool Ease and an H hook  and got the same gauge. Fairly easy and quick to make.

You know, now that I dragged the book out there are a few hats I wanted to make when I bought the book....over a year ago....perhaps I'll make them as gifts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffy_creampuff
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010 06:01:36 AM »

I love your hats!! The Pumpkin is my favorite!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Thai Cabbage Salad
How To Cook Easy Indian Dishes
Thai Foodcast: Thai Fried Rice
Making Won-Ton Noodle Soup
How to Cook Asian Pork Noodle Skillet
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...