A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,126
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can I use Polymer Clay as a mold?  (Read 719 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

megsoro
« on: December 01, 2010 10:36:56 AM »

I've been creating molded crayons for a while now. I've been using silicone molds, but I would like to expand to original designs to hopefully start a business. I was wondering if I could make a figure out of polymer clay, bake it, and then make a mold or two from the figure. My question is, will a baked polymer clay mold hold up to hot crayon wax? I have no idea how hot the wax gets.... should I stick a thermometer in the next batch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blitherypoop
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010 04:26:33 PM »

It will hold up, but releasing could be a major problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
robinred
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010 09:32:10 PM »

I know Sculpey makes a kind of polymer clay specifically for mold making. It works best to chill it in the fridge for a few minutes before pressing your figure into it. Otherwise...I don't know if it would hold up to melted wax or not. I mean, it doesn't take a lot of heat to melt wax anyway...could experiment and see, I guess!

Ditto about the release. If you have problems with that, try  experimenting with different release agents- i.e. coating the mold interior with soft soap, talc powder, and other substances.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010 10:53:50 AM »

Polymer clay will definitely make molds (the regular polymer clays or the flexible polymer clays).
But due to the release situation for wax** you may want to stick with making your model from polymer clay (and baking it), then use that model to make your mold using a 2-part silicone putty.  There are various brands of 2-part silicone putty, some "better" than others, but you'll end up with a flexible mold (even one with undercuts or possibly whole 3-D molds) that almost nothing will stick to since it's silicone.

You can check out various brands of the putty on this page at my site, and how to use them in general:
http://glassattic.com/polymer/molds.htm (click on the sub-sub-category called 2-Part Silicone Putties)
There's also info on that page re making molds from polymer clay, including 2-part molds, and on using other materials to make molds that can be used for polymer clay.

**Various releases might work, but don't know for wax (and wax is a release for some substances to complicate things).  Water, glycerin, cornstarch/baking soda/ metallic powders, etc, and things like Repel Gel (or "cyanoacrylate debonder" which is the same thing) are often used, but for more info on those, see:
...the Releases category on that Molds page above
...the Glues page http://glassattic.com/polymer/glues-Diluent.htm, and click on Superglue Solvents
(ArmorAll is very good as a release too --it's basically liquid silicone-- but can also keep some things from sticking later, etc.  Don't know if it would be a problem for functioning crayons.)

HTH,
Diane B.
P.S.  For some regular polymer clay molds, see this previous thread perhaps too:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=101292.msg960710#msg960710

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010 11:12:56 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A New Way to Flatten Images in CS3
5 Tips For Layer Styles
5 Things You Need to Know About the Gradient Tool in Photoshop
5 Things You Need to Know About Filters in Photoshop
Using the Ken Burns Effect with Final Cut Pro
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...