A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,481
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is painting wooden(parquet) floor okay?  (Read 715 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

locturann
« on: December 01, 2010 07:39:43 AM »

Well, my bedroom is pretty small with a lot of mess; so I decided to give it a big make over and I would love to make it a simple style (even if I have too much stuff in the room!).

So here's the thing I would like to ask for you advice.
- I want to paint my wooden wall in plain matt white but I just have no idea how I'm going to prepare before I paint it or how to choose the type of paint I can use.

and... my floor is sorta new (I guess), cus my house is a brand new 5 years old so the floor is still has those shiny wood shiled things on. So... should I sand it of before I paint it?

and here's what I expect my floor to be. Smiley
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24029274@N06/2343031471/

thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010 06:45:23 PM »

We have a different opinion on the wood parquet flooring.  If it is me, I would leave it as is, as it is still brand new.  I like the shade of wood.  I wouldn't ruin the color of nature with paint. I will accent the room through properly chosen furniture and fixtures such as rugs.  One thing with white painted flooring, it will be hard to clean.  It is easily scratched or marked with any movement of furniture.  Think long term.  As for the wall, it is fine to paint it as you please.  Just my 2 cents. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
gamerbabe
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010 09:42:44 AM »

You can paint the floor but you need to use the right paint and prep it properly first. CraftyLittleLady is right that it can be hard to keep clean and can scratch when you move furniture. I painted my floors and didn't follow the right steps or use the right paint and it looked like crap within a month or two

From reading up on what went wrong, you have to sand the finish off your floor first so the paint has something to grip to. you also do NOT want to use latex based porch paint (like I did) regardless of what the paint people tell you, it doesn't hold up as well as oil based porch paint or (even better) marine paint.

I think if your floor is newer and you're not living in the house for a LONG time, you're better off putting down a big rug or something else that is removable. People apparently don't like painted wood floors
THIS ROCKS   Logged

locturann
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010 07:50:53 PM »

Thank you, CraftyLittleLady & gamerbabe!!
I guess I'm gonna leave it like that and do something with the wall and furnitures Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Understand Basic Sewing Terms
How to Make Paper from Plant Fibers
How to Make Paper from Recycled Paper
How to Make Placemats Out Of Wooden Chopsticks
How to Make Seashell Crafts
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...