A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,531
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A few of my hats  (Read 1217 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sherrrry561
« on: December 01, 2010 06:53:52 AM »

Here are links to a few photos of hats that I've made:

A Pumpkin Hat that I made after seeing a knitted one my cousin made:

A hat I made from embroidery floss:

A hat and scarf that I made for my niece:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010 06:58:50 AM by fantasticmio - Reason: added the pics » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kyut530
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010 07:32:25 AM »

Those look fantastic! was it hard to do the increases in the rounds with the holes? I hadn't gotten the hang of it yet ^^; ...then again, I hadn't tried making hats in a while!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter by day, crafter by night
but my shift changed... oh right...
ohmymetro
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010 09:52:11 AM »

oh i really love them all!!

what size hook did you use for the embroidery floss one? i can't imagine ever having the patience to complete that!

and i really especially love the colors of the last set, your niece is quite lucky!  Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sherrrry561
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010 07:00:18 AM »

Those look fantastic! was it hard to do the increases in the rounds with the holes? I hadn't gotten the hang of it yet ^^; ...then again, I hadn't tried making hats in a while!
Thanks! On the pumpkin hat?  Not sure which hat you mean.  If it's the pumpkin one I worked it as a rectangle and slip stitched one end (which would be the top part) and every 6 rows I did hdc, ch, hdc, ch....across the row.  I think this one is hdc.....I made a few of them and made improvements on each one.   Then I stitched it at the seam and worked in the round for the green part.  On the edge I did reverse sc (crab stitch).   

On the green/orange one I don't remember....I made that two years ago!  I don't recall if I used a pattern or just used a pattern as a guide and made the rest as I went along!

oh i really love them all!!

what size hook did you use for the embroidery floss one? i can't imagine ever having the patience to complete that!

and i really especially love the colors of the last set, your niece is quite lucky!  Smiley Smiley

Thanks!  I think I used either a E or G hook, two strands of floss held together.  I'll have to dig out the pattern and see which hook I used.   The time consuming part of the embroidery floss hat is making the balls of floss!  I laid out all the colors that I had and tried to arrange them so it would look random.....somehow I got too much red together, thus the very red top.   Yes, I knotted the floss and left long tails which I crocheted into the stitches as I went along.  I'm going to make another one soon!  It is very soft and comfortable.   I used a pattern from a Vogue hat pattern book, I think......When I get a chance I'll get the book out and let you know which one it is.

I have made many hats and the funny thing is that I don't really like to wear them but I love making them!  I know my profile pic is me in a hat.....I can wear them long enough to model them and that's about it.  Any longer and I feel suffocated, but not in a claustrophobic way.....it's hard to describe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010 11:29:16 AM »

Love the pumpkin, and thanks for the hints on how you made it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
khalleron
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010 05:33:44 PM »

I really love the color progression on the floss hat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sherrrry561
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010 06:35:08 PM »

Thanks Ladies!

I found the book with the embroidery floss hat pattern!  It is in this book:  Vogue Knitting   Crocheted Hats on the go!  It's a small book with 22 hat patterns for about $12 (USD).  What a bargain!

The pattern is called Mini Ruffle Pillbox Hat designed by Kathy Merrick

I used the E hook as suggested in the pattern but did not use DMC brand floss....I got the big economy pack at Michael's!  I figured out total yardage and added some extra for good measure.

The hat in my profile pic is from this book as well.  It's called the Mohair Flower Cloche.  I didn't use the mohair yarn as in the pattern.  I used Wool Ease and an H hook  and got the same gauge. Fairly easy and quick to make.

You know, now that I dragged the book out there are a few hats I wanted to make when I bought the book....over a year ago....perhaps I'll make them as gifts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffy_creampuff
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010 06:01:36 AM »

I love your hats!! The Pumpkin is my favorite!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Debunk a Reptile Woman video
Nikon CLS Wireless Flash System Explained
Sebastian Copeland on the Beauty in Photography
How to Bling your photos
Paleoartist Brings Dinosaurs to Life
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Mashed Chickpea Salad Sammy
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...