A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,764
Currently Running With Scissors:
787 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gingerbread houses (Image heavy)  (Read 5014 times)
Tags for this thread: gingerbread_house  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cackle
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Pottery, Ceramics, Polymer Clay Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Whenever I close my eyes the lights go on.. Lummis

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2010 02:47:06 PM »

I know these should really be in food, but I wanted to post here as the house theme is running through so much of Craftster lately........
I made two for two separate auction in my town. They are both similar but there are enough differences that I wanted to post pics of both.
The first two are of the houses mostly assembled and I'm adding the roof tiles.
All of the pieces are gingerbread and everything is edible.

The next pics are of the piping and decorating and the final product. It was a lot of work (three days) but lots of fun!
Sorry the pics turned out so yellow. My kitchen is yellow (but not THAT yellow) and the lighting is not great.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010 03:01:17 PM »

GORGEOUS, as always!  This rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010 03:33:12 PM »

these are gorgeous and I would love some tips. I have made one gingerbread house, but the walls just didnt seem strong enough, your seem thin and light and strong. Would you be able to share your recipe? and any other tips? I assume you cut all the shapes before baking? What did you use to 'glue' the walls together.

Your work is amazing! i would be thrilled to make one a tenth as good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cealy
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010 05:43:58 PM »

Dido EdelC!!!
I would love your recipe! I am making the gingerbread for houses our residents are making in two weeks and would love a new one to try!

Beautiful work!
C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fraugee728

I have crafting ADHD. Seriously.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010 05:55:58 PM »

These are amazing!  What beautiful, intricate work!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step one:  Collect Underpants
Step two:  ? ? ?
Step three:  Profit!

http://sometimessewist.wordpress.com
cackle
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010 07:10:17 PM »

Dido EdelC!!!
I would love your recipe! I am making the gingerbread for houses our residents are making in two weeks and would love a new one to try!

Beautiful work!
C

Thank you for the nice comments! Here is the recipe I used. Let me know how it goes for you. Smiley

Gingerbread Cookie Dough     350 degree oven

4 Tablespoons dark molasses
2 Tablespoons water
2 eggs
Mix these three ingredients together.

61/2 Cups all purpose flour
2 Teaspoons baking soda
1 Teaspoon salt
3 Cups lightly packed brown sugar
4 Teaspoons cinnamon
2 Tablespoons ginger
1 Teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 Teaspoon nutmeg

1 Pound soft butter

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Pour molasses mixture into flour mixture and add butter. Mix and stir (hands work best)
until dough comes together. Put dough on a clean, lightly floured surface and knead for about 4 minutes. Dough should be soft and completely mixed- no butter streaks!
Divide dough into workable slabs and cover with plastic wrap.
For cutter cookies; roll out dough to about 1/4 to 1/8 an inch thick. (run a floured spatula under the dough to keep it from sticking to the surface)
Flour your cutters, cut shapes and transfer to a baking sheet with a spatula. No distortion that way.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes depending on how hot your oven is.
For houses; I roll out the dough the same way as for cookies, making sure that it is on the thinner side (1/4 inch) this dough
will rise slightly, then settle, so if you roll too thick, the windows and such that you cut out will not be exactly straight. They will hold their shape but will be a little
smaller. To counter this I take the house out of the oven half way through and re-cut the things that are looking like they are getting lost, then pop it back in the oven.
A good tip with this dough is if you refrigerate it overnight, then let it come to room temp naturally (no microwaving) the next day, it tends to stay more stable than it would if you use it right away. it will also darken up a bit more.
It's very good for eating and if you like it spicier, add a little Cayenne pepper to the dry ingredients.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

freckledpeas
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010 09:27:00 PM »

Wow! So beautiful and detailed! Amazing work Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010 04:09:58 AM »

thank you so much cackle..I really appreciate that you shared the recipe and the method..I will definitely try it your way this year, I had that problem with windows etc getting distorted because of cutting it out too thick, plus distortion when I transferred it to a baking tray.

and do you use simply powdered sugar and water as the 'glue?'

I love that you have used shingles for your house, when I made one before I just used candy, but the shingles look so much better and the ridge pole on the roof is so pretty too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cackle
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010 06:29:56 AM »

thank you so much cackle..I really appreciate that you shared the recipe and the method..I will definitely try it your way this year, I had that problem with windows etc getting distorted because of cutting it out too thick, plus distortion when I transferred it to a baking tray.

I love that you have used shingles for your house, when I made one before I just used candy, but the shingles look so much better and the ridge pole on the roof is so pretty too.

hi edelC,
               What I used as glue for attaching the walls and roof, etc, is some great stuff called Isomalt. It is beet sugar you can melt down into a clear, sticky sugary mess that sticks really well. You can order it on line at Amazon. Be careful! You must get it up to 320 degrees, so it's extremely hot. It also cools quickly, so you have to work fast, but since I tried this, I wont go back. It hardens like a rock!
To pipe the decorations I use royal icing. It's easy to use, takes color really well and dries hard. I use meringue powder instead of egg whites because it's a lot more stable and you don't have to worry about the whole salmonella thing. You can get meringue powder at Walmart, cake decorating stores or on line. Wilton is the most common brand. There is a recipe inside the lid. I hope you have fun with this. I have been making gingerbread houses every year since the Jurassic period and I've never been tired of it!
Let me know if you need any more info....glad to help out! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cackle
Swap Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010 06:38:30 AM »

I forgot to share another tip........to keep your big gingerbread pieces from loosing their shape when you transfer, don't transfer. I roll out a sheet of dough, pick the whole thing up and lay it on the baking sheet, cut around the edges to get it to lay flat, smooth it out and then cut my shapes. Instead of picking up the pieces and putting them on the sheet, you just pick up the scraps! No distortion and it is a time saver.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Art of Recycled Materials
How To Play A Augmented 7
Learn How To Trade Emini Future June 15
Creative Greeting Card Ideas
Interview With Comedian Trevor Boris
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...