A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,440
Currently Running With Scissors:
445 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Should I attempt a risky move?  (Read 1094 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SpecialKRJ

I want so much more than they've got planned

View Profile WWW
« on: November 30, 2010 12:16:53 AM »

My brother insisted on this pattern for his kilt hose. I bought the pattern, I went with him and picked out yarn to match his kilt. The problem is, the yarn is worsted and the pattern calls for fingering weight. On size 0 needles, I can get the right row gauge, but I can't get the right stitch gauge. Instead of being 4 inches, I get 5 inches in 32 stitches. This pattern has several different size possibilities, depending on the measurements of the person's foot, ankle, and calf.

The question: Should I try to follow the pattern for an inch smaller than my brother's measurements, or is that way too risky?

My other option is trying to un-ply the yarn and knit with the individual plies, but that is definitely a tedious task, and if there's a possibility that I can get away with knitting a smaller size with a bigger gauge, I will definitely take the chance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010 07:42:28 AM »

You might be able to pull off knitting a smaller size with a larger gauge yarn, but honestly I've never substituted yarn with such a drastic gauge difference before.  Even still, you might find that he can't fit the kilt hose into his shoes because of using the worsted weight yarn.

I wouldn't try to unply the yarn either..way too much work.  Honestly, if I was you, I would return the unopened skein(s) of worsted weight and try and find a sock/fingering weight as close to the same color as possible.

Best of luck to you with whatever you decide!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010 07:47:28 AM »

Use different yarn or a pattern that uses worsted weight. Explain to him that socks/hose needs to be knit on small needles with thin yarn or it will be too thick to fit into shoes. Or find a pattern that is written for worsted, usually the needles used for that are 6s. If you are going to be okay with knitting this heavy a yarn on tiny needles try the smaller size, but it's going to be a pain for your hands and wrists.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Tephra
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010 10:54:35 AM »

Use different yarn or a pattern that uses worsted weight. Explain to him that socks/hose needs to be knit on small needles with thin yarn or it will be too thick to fit into shoes. Or find a pattern that is written for worsted, usually the needles used for that are 6s. If you are going to be okay with knitting this heavy a yarn on tiny needles try the smaller size, but it's going to be a pain for your hands and wrists.

Agreed. Also, even if you do get the hose to the right measurements with worsted on tiny needles, they might not fit. Knitting that tight doesn't stretch that well, that's one reason why patterns for stuffed toys are knit tight. Tight knitting doesn't stretch enough to show the stuffing and it makes it harder to over stuff the toy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpecialKRJ

I want so much more than they've got planned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010 01:17:22 AM »

Darn. I think I knew I was gonna get those answers when I asked, but I was just praying there'd be some magical trick that you more experienced knitters could pass on to me. Ah well, can't really complain when it means another trip to the yarn store!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

luckypennymake
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010 01:57:31 PM »

you would probably end up with a very stiff fabric so they would be hard to get on.  i definitely think switching to a fingering weight yarn would be best.  wouldn't want to put in all that work and end up with a bummer result!

- barbara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing and Crafting Momma to two very sweet kiddos born at home on February 19, 2007 and September 27, 2009.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Horseshoe Pitching Tips
Horseshoe Pitching Grips Tutorial
Learn about Horseshoe Pitching Equipment
Learn about Horseshoe Pitching Rules
Horseshoes Throwing Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...