A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PIC OF FINISHED VIEW - Ideas please - too many doors, too little space  (Read 3764 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: November 29, 2010 04:59:10 PM »

We have a bathroom that we're thinking of re-do'ing (if we can agree on what the finished room will look like Tongue ) The big sticking point is that the room has THREE doors that all open into the same space -

("After" pic is on page 2)

The door on the right is to the bedroom. We like this door, but if we had to, we could get rid of it and close up the doorway.

The door in the middle is to the hallway. We kinda need to keep this one Smiley

The door on the left is to the closet. We need to keep the closet - that and the vanity (there's a corner of it on the bottom left of the pic) are the only storage space in the room. There's no shelves or medicine cabinet. (we haven't decided if we're putting in a medicine cabinet or not.)

Depending on the door, a partly open door blocks one or both from being opened. A fully open door blocks one from opening, but the third door might be ok to open/close. There's stoppers on the doors so a fully opened door won't hit a closed door, but partly opened doors can (and do) hit each other.

The closet door is probably the easiest door to get rid of, but we need something to cover the inside of the closet. DH hates folding doors so those are out. We both vetoed beaded curtains (too disco-y) and fabric door-curtains (dh says it'll look like we forgot to put up a door, and I'm not too crazy about having that much fabric in the bathroom)

If it helps, here's a rough floor plan of the room - -

The blue rectangle on the left is the tub, the circle is the toilet, the brown rectangle in the center is the vanity, the green rectangle is the closet, and the red lines are the doors. There's no windows, and the wall across from the vanity has a towel rack.

Any ideas are most welcome!!

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011 08:25:29 PM by ThreadOrYarn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shadeweaver

My reality check just BOUNCED!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010 05:58:26 PM »

Have you thought about turning the closet door into cabinet doors?  Maybe build a frame so you can put 2 on the top half and 2 on the bottom.  The other thought might be to push to  bedroom door further into the bedroom ... if that would work.  Usually you can't move the toilet, tub and sink too much because of plumbing ... so trying to work with the rest of the space can be a challenge. 

I gave up all my storage in my main bath and I totally regret it ... so I understand what you are facing there. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap?  Heck Yeah!

http://www.wists.com/Shade
gatheredthreads
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010 07:19:52 PM »

Any chance you could make the hall door a pocket door that slides down next to the closet?  Or could the bedroom door become a pocket door?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.  ~ Dali
wist
TBickimer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010 08:18:01 PM »

I concur ... Looks like from your drawing that the bedroom door could become a pocket door that slides into the long wall. Leave the Hall door as is. I would then consider a bi-fold door for the closet. it would stay stationary, and only open a few inches into the room when open. - Tammy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010 08:06:35 AM »

A pocket door? I hadn't thought of that! The  bedroom door (on the right) maybe could be changed - I don't know if there's enough space in the wall, I don't know anything about how they're made. Definitely something that I'll need to see if it's do-able.

I really like the idea of changing the closet door to cabinet doors, especially if they can be lined up with the shelves inside. It'll make the bathroom look more 'pulled together' with matching closet & vanity doors.

The bedroom's big enough to move the wall back to make the bathroom bigger,  if we do that, we'll lose a floor heating vent in the bedroom and it may impact the bedroom door (not the one in the picture, but the door from the hall into the bedroom). So it may not be a do-able change. Something to think about though if we end up changing the heating duct work though.

Thanks for the ideas! Any other ideas still welcome  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010 07:20:04 PM »

Remove the cabinet door and replace it with 2 mirror sliding door instead.  It serves as a full length mirror and it can make the room look larger.  The bedroom door can be replaced with a stained glass frame door.  It can serve as a night light for the bedroom.  Turn on the light in the bathroom and close the bedroom door.  The light from the bathroom will reflect on the stained glass.  The effect will be nice.  The hallway door should stay, I guess.     
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
KimmyLynne82

I enjoy being a dame.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011 11:04:15 AM »

I am in love with pocket doors right now, so I vote for that! We have a pantry that I'd love to do that to, but hubby isn't too sure it'd be a worthy investment (hasn't he learned yet that a happy wife = happy house?!)  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~Kim~*
wists~ Swap Ideas on Pinterest~Blog

I <3 Personal Swaps!
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011 12:11:18 PM »

The bathroom re-do is starting this week! For these doors, the one on the right (to the bedroom) is being changed to a pocket door, and the closet is being totally ripped out  Shocked and replaced with a tall cabinet with french-door style doors. The hall door is staying as is Smiley  The vanity/toilet/tub are all being replaced, and so is the floor & walls. And I'll have a new medicine cabinet too.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011 12:11:41 PM by ThreadOrYarn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011 08:46:54 AM »

We need pics!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011 04:19:53 PM »

BlushingBlueGrass - here's what it looks like today-

This is the same view as the top picture in the first post.(I know I needed to declutter the bathroom, but I didn't think the WALLS would be decluttered too! Seems like a rather extreme way to take off the wallpaper though Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy)

yes, I do have another bathroom in the house Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011 04:23:18 PM by ThreadOrYarn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Background Paper for Digital Scrapbooking
How to Age a White Card Stock for Scrapbooking
How to Craft a Christmas Gourd Santa
How to Craft a Button Brooch
How to Craft Duct Tape Fabric
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...