A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,647
Currently Running With Scissors:
702 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to tailor a man's shirt to fit a woman's figure!  (Read 6901 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jltfk
« on: November 28, 2010 11:48:54 PM »

STEP 1: Put on the shirt and mark the end of your shoulder.

STEP 2: Take shirt off. Draw a curve from the shoulder mark to the armpit, under the original armhole seams. This will be your new armhole. Fold the shirt in half and cut your curve, cutting off both sleeves together.

STEP 3: Turn shirt and both sleeves inside out. Arrange so that the right sleeve is with the right side of the shirt, and the left sleeve with the left side of the shirt. The buttonholes on the cuff should be on the bottom.

STEP 4: Pin the sleeves back onto the shirt. Do this by matching the yoke seams together at the top of the shirt with the yoke seams on the sleeves. The right sides (the outside of the shirt) need to face each other.

You'll have a hole at the armpit because the hole of the sleeve is smaller than the armhole of the shirt. Just try to pin together the sleeve and the shirt as much as possible to keep this hole small.

STEP 5: Sew the sleeves and the shirt together Smiley Go slowly since you're sewing a circle.

STEP 6: Put shirt on inside out. Draw an angled line from just underneath a boob towards the side of the shirt.  This will be the dart.

If you notice the dart extends onto a shirt pocket, either start the dart below the pocket, or remove the pocket first.

STEP 7: Take the shirt off. Use a ruler to extend the line to the edge of the shirt.

STEP 8: We need to copy the dart onto the other side of the shirt. If you used chalk, just fold the shirt in half and transfer the chalk line to the other side. If you want it accurate, take these three measurements

a) The horizontal width from the top of the dart to the side of the shirt.
b) The length down the side of the shirt from the armhole to the horizontal line I drew with step A.
c) The length down the side of the shirt from the armhole to the end of the dart.

As you can see, I got a) 17cm b) 5cm c) 23cm

Use these measurements to draw an identical dart on the other side of your shirt.

STEP 9: Pin the darts.

STEP 10: Sew the darts just under the line you've ruled. How much under is up to you. As a general rule, if your boobs are smaller, sew closer to the line. If your boobs are bigger, sew further from the line. Curve out at the top of the dart to close it.

STEP 11: Turn the shirt right side out and try it on. If you're happy with your darts, turn the shirt inside out again and go ahead to cut off the excess material above the dart line. Iron open the dart seams.

STEP 12: Put the shirt on inside out. Mark where your waist is and then mark where the underside of your arm is. Be a little generous as you can always keep narrowing the shirt if it's too big.

STEP 13: Take shirt off. Draw a straight, angled line on your sleeve from the armpit to the cuff. Then draw a curve from the armpit to the bottom of the shirt. The widest part of the curve is the mark your made of your waist. Cut.

STEP 14: Pin, matching the underarm seams and the cuffs of the sleeves. Pin the trunk from the armpit down. Because of the dart, there will a bit of the back shirt hanging longer than the front.

STEP 15: Sew. Try to keep the armhole seams and dart seams open.

STEP 16: Iron open all your seams, try it on!

Smiley
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012 09:03:15 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetpea74

Not now darling, mummy's sewing!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010 12:05:25 AM »

Really loved this tute, thanks so much!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knotmad
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010 02:54:44 PM »

I have sooo many men's shirts to try this on! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jltfk
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010 07:06:06 PM »

aww thank you Knotmad and SweetPea! I couldn't post the pics cos I'm new here, but hope the method helps you with your designs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
creepergirl
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012 12:13:04 AM »

how funny!  i was just looking at the original post on your blog when I clicked onto this link to get more tips Smiley  I have a few vintage men's western shirts that i want to try to refashion to fit me.  I hope I don't screw them up Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aliped

Only dead fish go with the flow ....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012 12:36:05 AM »

These are excellent, well written instructions. 
Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarah_
Can't cook.

Sew lost.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012 11:21:13 PM »

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're just closer to me when you fall.
ak_activist
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012 03:49:03 AM »

Thanks for sharing with us!  I can't wait to try this out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Princess Roll Hairstyle Tutorial
Salma Hayek’s Beauty School: Easy Wavy Hair
How to Make Your Blowout Last the Entire Week
How to Achieve Ombre Hair Color At-Home
A Comb That Rids Frizz
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...