A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Satin stitch on aida?  (Read 1706 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bibe
« on: November 27, 2010 05:55:32 PM »

I've done quite a bit of cross stitch, but not much embroidery. I'm working on a pattern where the suggested fabric was a cashel linen, but I decided to use regular aida 18ct.

There's a section where I'm supposed to do satin stitch, but I'm a bit stumped on how I'll achieve the satin stitch look on aida cloth. In my mind, the way I see it, the satin stitch will just look like straight lines. Should I be stitching in between the holes to fill in the area?

Here's the pattern http://www.caron-net.com/dec00files/dec00desf1.html if anyone is interested in having a look. It's the section that looks like a square border, in the dark color.

I've searched and watched some videos on the satin stitch itself, but all of the examples I've seen are on cotton fabric that don't have that 'square' aida look.

Any tips or special ways to satin stitch on aida? Much apologies in advance - this question sounds like something pretty basic.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010 06:04:59 PM by bibe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010 08:37:55 AM »

I would think it would be fairly easy since you kind of have a guide with the holes in the fabric. Maybe try a scrap piece to get use to the stitch and then attempt the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

deromilly
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010 02:00:18 PM »

Working it on aida is possible... using the one strand they call for you will indeed get just straight lines that don't cover the fabric completely.  You can balance this in a couple of ways: first, you could use more strands of thread at a time in the needle. Or, you could use a sharp needle and not only stitch in the holes but also split the larger squares so that you are stitching between them (which is effectively what you'd be doing on linen fabric without having to force the issue with a sharp needle) So you would stitch through one hole, then through the middle of the block, then through the next hole, if that makes any sense (if not, let me know and I'll try to give you photos or something as an example of what I mean.) You might have to use a combination of the two methods - use more than one strand AND stitch through both hole and block... Experiment in the margin or on extra fabric before you commit to anything!

Pretty little design!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~G. Romilly Mueller
Stitch Creatively! "Cat fur? What cat fur? That's creative use of specialty fibers!" Me, RCTN 1994
bibe
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010 06:19:10 PM »

Ok, thanks both of you, I think I will try that, with more than one strand, and going in between the holes. I'm working on 18ct, so using more than one strand might fill it nicely without having it look like straight lines.

I'll take a picture and let you know how that worked out for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bibe
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010 04:52:53 PM »

Not the very best picture, but you get the idea.

I tried the satin stitch without doing the outline, and it looked horrible. So I am doing the outline, then the satin stitch. I'm using 2 threads, going through the holes plus once in between the holes (so it's sorta like as if I'm working on 36 count instead of 18, if that makes sense). Sometimes it's a little difficult to pierce right in between the holes, but the 2 threads seem to fill the space nicely anyway, so I don't think it matters much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Daisy Lewellyn on Shopping with an Editor’s Eye
Sabrina Jeffries on Her Novel When the Rogue Returns
Daisy Lewellyn: What Are You Reading?
Whitney Holcombe on Writing About Her Weight Loss
Elizabeth Winthrop: What Are You Reading?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...