A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nearly a year on...slightly more wiser pottery-style [pic heavy]  (Read 1073 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PlumCrafty
« on: December 04, 2010 02:40:39 PM »

I am now coming to the end of my first year with all things clay  Grin, and I think there is some improvements in my work. I have retaken the beginner's pottery class again with the same tutor, though she doesn't let me off with beginner's quality work...apparently I am expected to be better  Tongue I do point out that that I am still somewhat rubbish but I suppose I am slightly more adventurous with the type of work I am producing. Anyway, enough words more pics of my babies. Cheesy

These are some finally glazed pots from my throwing course in June. All are in Tenmoku glaze (my favourite) and all are nearly perfectly centred. In order of size, there is the tiny draycott white SW saki cup (about 1"x1.5") thrown off the hump.

Then there is the thrown and altered (paddled) draycott white SW square bowl. Its about 2.5" square and 2" high.

And last of these, is the St Thomas SW cylinder, about 3"x7". I put an awful lot of wax on the outside so you can see the groves (one of my fave decorating tips, made using a plastic fork). All three have the groves but I really made it into a feature here. Its been given away as a pressie for Christmas.

Onto the things from my November course. These are all hand built and using red clay fired to earthenware. My tutor always starts with that. The first is a pinched sauce boat, quite large at 4" long by 2.5" wide, where I first refined the actual "boat" and then scored the outside, rubbed in white slip and finally coated in a turquoise glaze. It turned out kinda cool, and actually sits flat. Yay! Like I said, more was expected of me Wink.

Then we went onto slab building. As I made a relatively good box last time I wanted to make something different, and I had been playing around with the idea of a slab built condiment box. Originally this was meant to be salt and pepper cellars, but it ended up being kinda big so it probably more suited to olives, cheese, dips etc. It is my own template design, and I think my tutor was more worried about it splitting in half than I was (yes, those two boxes are joined together by the power of slurry and glaze). So here it is, the boxes are 3" square by 2.5" high, and is also going to be a chrissie pressie (I have to declutter somehow).

But what to do with all those leftover decorated slabs? Make a vase for yet another present, of course. This is quite a good illustration of how the different glazes change the slip and clay colours. The box above had a honey mustard glaze, and this is clear lead, its about 8" by 3" square.

So that is about it for now. I still have a heap of glazing to be done for our last lesson next week Cry, including a porcelain vase made of two pinched pots and a slab built curved plate. I am having a lot of fun with slabs... Smiley

I hope you enjoy, as always comments and criticism most welcome, and joyous wishes for the festive season! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2012 Swaps
Nov: SS Ornament R3
Sep: MALC 6x6 Canvas
Aug: 4x6 Art5
Jul: Hand-Carved Stamp4 and Vintage
Jun: Journal for a Month2
May: 4x6 Art2 and Crafted Cushion Cover2
Apr: Beginners Inchie3
Mar: Art Journal
catastrophe
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010 07:30:15 PM »

love it.. great designs
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Li Is a Dram, From Which W First Must Wak Bor W May Dram Again
maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010 11:19:59 PM »

i really love the shape of your square bowl! great colour too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PlumCrafty
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010 05:37:07 PM »

Thank you catastrophe and maxxev....I love tenmoku glaze...even more than celadon! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2012 Swaps
Nov: SS Ornament R3
Sep: MALC 6x6 Canvas
Aug: 4x6 Art5
Jul: Hand-Carved Stamp4 and Vintage
Jun: Journal for a Month2
May: 4x6 Art2 and Crafted Cushion Cover2
Apr: Beginners Inchie3
Mar: Art Journal
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cleanse Skin and Remove Makeup in One Step
Jennifer Aniston Reveals Her Tips for Perfect Skin
How to Organize Your Makeup
My Top 3 Websites for Chic, Cheap Accessories
How To Create A Smokey Eye
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...