A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
686 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Favorite Drawings from my Life Drawing Class  (Read 2476 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sheepBlue
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 26, 2010 08:46:31 AM »

First I want to say that for the longest time I never thought myself very good at drawing at all. I still have reservations about it, but in my art classes I've discovered that with practice anything is possible. My life drawing class is almost over now so I figured I'd share some of my favorite pieces, mostly homework assignments and pages from my sketchbook. I hope you enjoy, and maybe it'll inspire others to try things they're not naturally great at because with practice anything is possible  Smiley

The first major assignment was to do a simple self portrait with our clothing/accessories saying something about our personal character/personality. The shirt I'm wearing I stenciled myself and I love its quirky subject. Also I'm in love with slouchy hats right now so I'm wearing one hehe.

The second assignment was to do an aged self portrait where we drew ourselves as elderly people. I thought it would be really hard but I had a lot of fun adding all the details to it.

Another assignment was to do a transgendered portrait where we drew ourselves as the opposite sex. This was probably the most challenging because I'm not a boy so it's hard to just look at my face and draw what I see when I dont naturally have the bone structure of a guy...but I think it turned out decent. If I had to titled it, it would be called "Brian" because that's what my parents would have named me if I was a boy lol.

Our most recent and hopefully last homework assignment was to create a figurative drawing based off of a well-known 20th century artist mimicking their style. I chose Rene Magritte because I've known and loved his surrealist style for a long time. He uses apples and fish in his paintings repeatedly which is why I included them in the drawing.

The remaining are all stuff I drew in my sketchbook. I love the surrealist style and weird/odd compositions so it kind of reflects that. My bf says everything I draw is creepy LOL but I just tell him I like it to be interesting and not boring.

It's all done with regular pencil and a blending stomp. I'd love to hear what people think. I never thought of myself as a great drawer before but I'm inspired to try and continue this progress because I feel like I have so much more room to grow.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

audio
Nobody could do that much dcoupage without calling on the powers of darkness.

Galactic Empress Audrey The Nerdy

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010 08:55:46 AM »

Wow! You are talented! I love the tiny fishy and the skelly fairy! Really awesome!!!! I'm wisting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melissanorth
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010 09:40:25 AM »

I think you're really good, and also, you look a bit like me- we have similar haircuts. My favourite is the skull with tentacles- I like the idea, and love the colours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katesters
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010 11:09:34 AM »

Those are all fantastic! Love the Magritte-inspired one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010 01:01:12 PM »

great stuff!  heaps better then i could ever do.  portraits are always so hard to get right.  love the aged version. especially with the funky hat!

thanks also for turning me onto a new artist. i have seen some of his work before but never knew a name. 

and i think my favorite is the one with the eye and the skeleton butterfly! that is DOPE!

fantastic stuff love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010 01:07:28 PM »

Thanks you guys  Grin I'm really proud of what I've accomplished in this class even though it's definitely one of the hardest ones I've taken so far. Boy you should see my bad stuff though...its bad haha. At least it's a nice comparison to see how far I've come.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeaG

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010 11:23:31 AM »

You definately have drawing talent!
I think your self portraits are of excellent quality, especially considering they are your first.
The drawing with the leg in front of the arms and head looks great too (sorry for the weird description, coulnd't come up with a better one).
I think with some more practice you will make beautiful art!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stephsthename
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011 08:13:38 PM »

i love them all!  in my beginner class a long time ago we had this macgyver type teacher  who was older and set in his ways of doing things.  the only thing he would let us use was a pencil. no erasers, no ANYTHING other than a pencil.  i HATED it at first, but now it's the only way i can draw.  he would only let us use eraser to clean up our drawing afterwards.  annnyway, the pencil he suggested we use is "design ebony"... they're at hobby lobby in packs of two for like, $1.  in case you haven't tried them, you may want to give them a go.   trick is to constantly sharpen.  they make really rich, dark lines (and nice light ones too) and look really good with a sharp tip.  only reason i say this is that i would never know they existed if i didn't take that class, and i ended up loving them. again, nice drawings & keep it up! some people have natural ability to do things like draw, but never practice, and never get any better.  some of the coolest artwork i've seen was art i had to help set up at school submitted largely by non art majors. if you enjoy doing it, just do it!  Smiley <3
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011 08:17:48 PM by Stephsthename » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BadWolf
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011 11:19:24 AM »

Very impressive. The self portraits are terrific. I'd love to try doing that trio of drawings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cherry Bomb!
Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb!

I didn't do it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011 03:19:27 PM »

Wow, these are great. I especially like the skull with the tentacles and the age progression portrait with the kitty hat. You don't expect to see older people wearing stuff like that. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Which voice in your head should you keep alive?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Model Slimmer in Photoshop
How To Upload HD Video in Sony Vegas
How to Apply Digital Tattoos
How to Create Sound in After Effects
How to Use The Liquefy Filter
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...