A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
725 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Safety Eyes?  (Read 4640 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2010 12:27:58 PM »

So, I've got an idea for an amigrumi that I'd like to make at some point, and I'm wondering about using safety eyes. 

1) Are they easy to locate?

2) Can I find them in any craft store? IE: JoAnn's or Michael's

3) Are they easy to use?  How would I use them?  Do you crochet around them?  Or do you just leave a little space and insert them in?

I've never used 'em before.  So all the info you've got would be amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010 01:18:11 PM »

I've never used them (or even seen them... maybe I shouldn't answer this. lol) but it's my understanding that the thing that makes them safe is that they're actually crocheted in... somehow the yarn goes through them and so they are added as you do that part of the face.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewhappysue

addicted to dolls

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010 02:33:14 PM »

safety eyes will slip into any sc st. They are held in place with a locking washer that is placed on the inside of the head. I have tried numerous times to remove them, but you cannot without using cutters and destroying the metal washer. There are eyes that have a plastic washer, but I don't personally feel they are safe. You can find limited quantities at Michaels or JoAnns. I buy mine on line in quantity as I can get a better selection in size and eye color. You can also get clear eyes that have a black pupil and use acrylic paint or nail polish to make your own eye color. Here is a place I have purchased from
http://www.suncatchereyes.net/
also ebay
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010 03:00:12 PM »

Ah, the metal locking washer makes sense!  I don't think I'd find the plastic ones safe, either...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jillous
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010 10:17:58 PM »

JoAnns sells plastic safety eyes with plastic washers, which I favor for simple projects that only need solid black eyes. Plastic washers lock extremely well, and have yet to prove "unsafe" in my projects thusfar. If you want colored eyes though, definitely go with suncatcher eyes.

I like to place eyes after an item is crocheted and stuffed, but before it is sewn together. Put the shank between two stitches and find the position you like, then pull the stuffing out and push the washer on until it won't click anymore. Stuffing first gives you the best idea of how the finished product will look. Experiment with sizes, colors, and shapes (like cat-pupil eyes), just remember it's near impossible to remove the eyes once the washer is in place.

Probably too much info, but remember if you plan to machine wash your ami to put it in a drycleaning bag or pillowcase, because machines will scratch up eyes. Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists.com/jillous

I <3 Amigurumi
kristel1978
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010 10:06:05 AM »

I have used the ones with the plastic washers most of the time and I agree it's near impossible to get the washer off once it is locked: kind of like a tie wrap but much sturdier. It only goes one way.

Probably too much info, but remember if you plan to machine wash your ami to put it in a drycleaning bag or pillowcase, because machines will scratch up eyes.

Good one, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010 10:01:36 PM »

JoAnns sells plastic safety eyes with plastic washers, which I favor for simple projects that only need solid black eyes. Plastic washers lock extremely well, and have yet to prove "unsafe" in my projects thusfar. If you want colored eyes though, definitely go with suncatcher eyes.

I like to place eyes after an item is crocheted and stuffed, but before it is sewn together. Put the shank between two stitches and find the position you like, then pull the stuffing out and push the washer on until it won't click anymore. Stuffing first gives you the best idea of how the finished product will look. Experiment with sizes, colors, and shapes (like cat-pupil eyes), just remember it's near impossible to remove the eyes once the washer is in place.

Probably too much info, but remember if you plan to machine wash your ami to put it in a drycleaning bag or pillowcase, because machines will scratch up eyes. Hope this helps.

I thought I saw some the other day while I was putting stuff away, but I wasn't quite sure if that's what they were.  I know now, that's what they were.  I'll have to take a look after I get done with my shift. ((Conveniently, I work at JoAnn's)) Are they usually with the kid's craft stuff?  Like with the other jiggle eyes?

I'll have to keep that in mind.  I'll have to check suncatcher and see if they're a decent price. 

Thanks y'all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
Tygermane
Addicted to crafting

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010 02:29:21 PM »

I to have found that they plastic washers are just as safe as the metal washers.  And sadly, Joann's doesn't have that great of a selection.  You're choices are either brown or black  Sad  And Micheal's has none either.  I do like to use the black safety eyes to attatch limbs to my ami's though.  They work great and you know they won't come off!  Smiley 
I also have found that this seller on etsy has a nice selection as well (I think it used to be suncatcher eyes)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/6060
THIS ROCKS   Logged

happyfunballxd
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011 09:51:25 PM »

I do like to use the black safety eyes to attatch limbs to my ami's though.  They work great and you know they won't come off!  Smiley 
I also have found that this seller on etsy has a nice selection as well (I think it used to be suncatcher eyes)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/6060

Ah, that's actually a great idea. I never thought of doing that! I recently got a bunch of safety eyes in plain black from 6060's shop, an' I've been itching to try them out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wacky, nerdy, funny, creepy. But always with a touch of cute.~ Happy Fun Ball XD Crafts
NyteFyre

I am a GrandMa to a Poppet

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011 09:08:24 PM »

This is another great site to buy eyes and they deliver Internationally as well.

http://lisa.staton.home.insightbb.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***  Friendship Is The Pot Of Gold At The End Of Your Rainbow  ***
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Apply Matte Red Lip Stain
Fall Makeup Trends From Jill Martin
3 Volume-Boosting Beauty Products For Your Hair, Lips and Skin
Change Your Eye Shape With Eyeliner Make Up Tutorial
Get Your Beauty Sleep
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...