A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to help in Australia....  (Read 2880 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mod35tBabe
« on: November 24, 2010 10:39:40 PM »

I can't knit or crochet or quilt, I can however sew, stickweave, paint and am always willing to give crafts a try. I have tried crochet but it's obviously something that needs time and practice to learn well enough to make stuff worthy of giving away. I'd like to donate time to a charity, I've had trouble finding a charity I can help with my skills - they all seem to want knitted or crocheted stuff. I live in a rural town that's not near a city. Does anyone know of an Australian charity that accepts donations of things I can make? How does one get in contact with a group who does charity work like this?

Thanks Smiley
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010 10:42:39 PM by Mod35tBabe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please',I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010 08:42:07 AM »

Is there a hospital near you? They are always in need of crafty things-like cough pillows for people who are recovering from surgery-the baby and child wards are always in need of little blankets or toys. What about an elderly center near you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mod35tBabe
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010 04:17:54 PM »

I have a hospital but I don't think it has much in the way of say a children's ward and they do as little surgery here as possible - it's more of an emergency/xrays etc/maternity place. There is an old folks home but I'm not sure they allow much in the way of donations there.
But thank you very much for your ideas, it's food for thought Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please',I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

Mischa85
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010 11:02:05 PM »

HEAT PACKS!!! They're VERY simple to make, and all you need is some fabric, and feed corn!

Old Folks homes, vetrinarians, and hospitals use them ALL the time!!!

Getting them approved for use in the hospital could be tricky, but i'm fairly certain if you called the old folks home, and the vets, they'd be glad of your donation!

Otherwise if you've got any of the charity stores locally, they love volunteer assistance (hands on).... though you mention rural, so i doubt there's many of them there Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mischa Tacks #85
Sun State Roller Girls
Mod35tBabe
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010 04:03:48 AM »

We've got a salvos and Vinnies, I thought about volunteering there and at the hospital canteen but I know this place is pretty cliquey and it's hard to get the foot in the door if you don't know the right people.
I like the heat pack idea - I'll practice making a few first though hehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

Nobodyhasthisoneyet
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010 02:06:18 AM »

Animal rescue places might be another possible outlet - they always need blankets, and wouldn't say no to doggy coats, cat caves and that sort of thing either.

You wouldn't be expected to expend a heck of a lot of effort - since your donation will probably end up peed on or chewed - but a few big bits of polarfleece hemmed up into blankies or a simple fabric-and-wadding cat-house would really brighten up a cold, abandoned animal's day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No longer online regularly - if you need to contact me, try tweeting @artsieaspie.  Sorry for the inconvenience!
Mod35tBabe
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010 04:14:54 AM »

Oh good idea thank you. I'll keep that in mind. I know the RSPCA here accepts electric blankets that have had the wires removed but fleece would be much softer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

rossie
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010 02:27:55 PM »

Contact Needy Stitches : http://www.needystitches.com/  It's an Aussie site, all started by a lady who wanted to do some good at home Smiley   They take donations of all kinds of crafts and redistribute them to charities in need, and look to be doing a pretty awesome job of it.

Crafting for your local hospital can be a tricky affair.  Some hospitals (or should I say, hospital administrators...) won't take donations because of liability issues.  The largest regional hospital near my little country town refused Easter donations given by the community because 'chocolate isn't good for kids'.  Neither is smiling, apparently.  So if you're going to craft for local organisations, ring them first.   

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of fairy tale pretties:  http://summerfaire.com/
Mod35tBabe
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010 05:05:25 PM »

Oh fantastic. THAT is exactly what I was looking for - with the hospitals etc I thought it was hard, and the RSPCA here doesn't seem to help animals like they used to so I was a little reluctant to try that one but this website is ideal.
Thank you SO much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

Mod35tBabe
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010 05:13:15 AM »

I looked right through it and decided to make some toys, so I've downloaded a pattern and cut out a couple to make which I'll give to my step daughter - they'll be toys for her but good practice for me Smiley Thanks again for that link - I can't imagine how, in the hours of searching I did, that I didn't come across it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
High Resolution Photography Part 2
Stock Photography
Photography and the Green Screen
Skating and Photography
Photographing Wildlife
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...