A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cricut Personal Cutter  (Read 972 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DoodleLou
I don't know what I don't know. But I want to know.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: November 25, 2010 06:13:14 PM »

Hi all!  I'm usually not on the paper crafts board...you would find me over on the glass crafts and the bath and body boards normally.  Hope you don't mind me popping into your neighborhood to ask a couple of questions.  Smiley

I've been drolling over the Cricut Personal Cutter in the JoAnn's ad for Black Friday.  I'm thinking of picking one up.  All I really want it for is lettering.  I want letters for various displays, posters and what not.  I'm tired of using all those old fashioned letter stencils that you have to trace then cut.

Tell me, is getting this small cutter a waste of money?  It's sale priced at $69.99.  Looks like I can put regular 8.5X11 inch paper through it. I figure I'll put a couple of cartridges on the list for Santa to bring me and I'll be all good with my new toy.

Hey, just a thought...can you put more than just paper through here?  Meaning:  Can I use contact paper to make stencils?  OR how about waxed paper for freezer paper stencils?  Or how about sticker paper?  Or how about fabric ironed on to freezer paper? 

Or am I completely nuts to think this one toy can do all those things?  Have I completely destroyed my new toy even before I bought it?   Wink

Thanks for the help/advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Self diagnosis: Obsessive, complusive crafty addict with AD/HD tendancies.

"The thing about glitter is if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies." Demetri Martin

https://www.facebook.com/Feeding.the.Habit
lylacfey
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010 04:54:18 AM »

I can answer your questions. It's going to be little long.

The Personal Cricut cuts at 6x12.

I don't think it's a waste of money but I am a power Cricut user. I am one of those Cricut girls, lol. No, seriously I have been using the Cricut since the first day it came out.

I do buy cartridges. I own a lot of cartridges. Granted, I have been collecting them for over four years. I also got many free over the years too with promotions, reward points, etc...

For you I would recommend SureCutsAlot or MaketheCut software. SureCutsAlot (SCAL) is on sale at SVGCuts.com for around $40 this Black Friday. Both of these programs will cut any font or shape you can find on the Internet. It's very easy to do with their automatic tracing programs. With the fonts all you need to do is open a text box, type in what you want & your good to go. Both programs have great forums. They both come with free trials so you can get a feel of which one you love the most.

I use both programs for different reasons. I think you would like either one of those programs better since all you want is lettering. Cricut Font cartridges tend to be pretty limiting. Then you need to buy the Gypsy or Design Studio to really work with your lettering.

Yes, the Cricut can cut Contact paper. This is a very popular technique with Cricut girls and guys. Lots of T-shirts and stencils are made this way.

Waxed Paper, Sticker Paper, Chipboard, Acetate. Go to AboveRubiesStudio and download their chart for all the materials you can cut with the Cricut. Trust me most Cricut owner have tried every material out there. The Cricut cuts fabric like a dream. Of course vinyl is the most popular right now.

The Cricut does not cut felt or nubby type material. It clogs up the housing.

Any questions just throw my way.

There is an unadvertised sale on the Cricut's at Michael's and JoAnn's. They will be running at $59.99 for Black Friday. This is a killer deal. I paid $300 for my original Cricut when it first came out. Smiley It was worth every dime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
DoodleLou
I don't know what I don't know. But I want to know.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010 07:39:32 AM »

Hey!  Thanks for answering questions I didn't know I would have!  Wink  Luckily, I was able to pick up one of the Cricut Personal Cutters this morning before they were all gone.  AND I got it for the $59.99 price!  Go me!

I have to work part of today so I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.  I did pick up an extra cartiridge.  But based on what you're saying, perhaps I should wait to open it until I can play around a little. Sounds like I would be better off buying the software. Good thing it's quiet at work today so I can have some internet search time on the software. (  Lips sealed ssshhhh!...Don't tell the boss!)  I'm guess there is somewhere to hook the machine up to the computer then?

So awesome to hear that I can cut contact paper with it!  I can see all sorts of glass etching things happening now!  Cool!  Along those lines...where do you buy sticky vinyl?  Contact paper is good but vinyl would be even better for glass preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'etching...especially') if it's on a stained glass piece. On my most recent glass piece, I had a custom stencil cut out of vinyl and it cost me $15.00. Crazy cost, I know, but worth it to me to get the piece done the way I wanted it.

Happy Dance! Happy Dance!  I can't wait to get home and play with my new toy!

Thanks again for answering all the questions!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Self diagnosis: Obsessive, complusive crafty addict with AD/HD tendancies.

"The thing about glitter is if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies." Demetri Martin

https://www.facebook.com/Feeding.the.Habit
lylacfey
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010 04:45:33 AM »

Your welcome! Cheesy! I am so happy you got to snag one. I have no clue where to buy sticky vinyl. I do have a resource. Go to SmartBuyGal's forum: http://www.smartbuygal.com/forum/index.php All the main Cricut vinyl artists post over there. Over at the SCAL forum there are a few vinyl artists. They have all the resources for the best deals on vinyl. Trust me you will be an expert in an hour time with those girls and guys. They always amaze me.

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of your Cricut. I love my a little girl. I even blinged her up today, lol.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Who Is Your Favorite Dracula
Dramatic Reads: Chris Roberson
Dramatic Reads: Ian Brill
Dramatic Reads: Chris Sebella
Dramatic Reads: Christopher Hastings
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...