A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,719
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help? Not sure how to start a neckwarmer!  (Read 1877 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sarabear
« on: November 23, 2010 11:48:20 PM »

Hi knitter friends!  Smiley

I'm in need of some help. I want to make a neckwarmer for my father (think turtleneck sweater without the sweater part) but I have no idea where to start.

I know I want to make it in 2x2 ribbing ( I hear it's the stretchiest), I want it to be a tube (so probably will need to knit in the round), and his neck circumference is 18.5".

What I don't know is how many stitches to cast on (and how long the "tail" of my cast on should be), or how to calculate said magic numbers.

I'm going to be using a nice wool/cashmere blend. I was planning on using size 7 needles, but will adjust for gauge accordingly. Also, I'm a beginner knitter but I'm fairly confident that I can pick up a possible suggested technique or two with help from a book, the internet, etc.

Any advice/ideas on how to get started would be greatly appreciated! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Oyhana
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010 04:52:40 AM »

An easy way get a cast on tail is to wrap your yarn around your needle.  One wrap is roughly equal to one stitch.  So say you need 80 cast on stitches you could wrap your yarn around 20 times and times the length by 4.  This is where you would put your slip knot to start your cast on.

Most basic worsted weight neck warmers start with a cast on of roughly 100-110 stitches.  Make a swatch to see how many stitches your yarn and needle will give you per/inch.  I think 19-20 inches around would work but it's up to you what kind of look or style you are going for.

Knitting in the round is probably the quickest way to go about making your neck warmer, but you could always knit it flat and seam it together or even add buttons to one side. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest     

Personal swap friendly!  Especially ATCs!
soozeq
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010 07:02:08 AM »

Even though his neck is 18", it needs to go on over his head, so it should be at least 20" and 22-24" is probably better. Knit a sample of the ribbing with your yarn and needles, at least 24 sts, so you know how big that is both stretched and relaxed. Then you can figure how many sts you need to get 24" when it's stretched (not to the max, but fairly well stretched). Make sure that when relaxed the same number of sts would be at least 20".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Sarabear
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010 10:33:42 PM »

Thanks very much, oyhana and soozeq!

This helps A LOT (...I definitely forgot to factor in that he'll need room to pull the neckwarmer over his head!!) Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftdabbler UK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010 01:44:13 PM »

If it's not too late to add this....the 2x2 ribbing is nice and stretchy and would go over his head so you don't need to allow much extra for that. 
The diffuculty is that the cast-on and cast-off edges are nothing like as stretchy as the actual knitting.  This is especially true for new knitters - I don't know why.
You can get over this by casting on (and off) with a needle that is at least 2 sizes larger than the size you are going to knit with.  Then the edges are as stretchy as the knitting, so it will go over his head.
It sounds like a great idea for a gift.  Neckwarmers are so much cozier than scarves, and they don't flap about in the breeze.    Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarabear
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010 10:31:31 PM »

Awesome, thanks for the tip! I'll definitely keep that it mind when I get ready to cast on.

I'm actually making it with the intention that he wears it at night while sleeping. He keeps the thermostat set low at night and, since his head and neck stick out of the covers, I want to make something that will keep his neck cozy Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Passage Through a Chainlink Cloud by Ellen Grossman
Letter of Abuse Sculpture by Suprina
The Union Sculpture by Suprina
The Dancer Sculpture by Suprina
Seduction Sculpture by Suprina
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...