A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,214
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: assembling a basic hand-drawn ATC  (Read 3513 times)
Tags for this thread: atc , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WideEyedLife
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 23, 2010 10:17:42 PM »

At the request of kimchery, I'm going ahead and putting up a tutorial on how I make a basic ATC card.  While I know there are tons of ways to do this, I thought maybe this could be helpful for newbies like me!  lol

This is a very simple technique, good for hand-illustrated cards, and I've found it very satisfying.  Though it seems like a lot of steps, it's not difficult at all.

Materials needed:
*pre-cut ATC-sized 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" unfinished non-corrugated cardboard (easy enough to make yourself from, say, a cereal box)(If you want something acid-free, for a longer-lasting card, you might have to buy something at an art store that is labeled as acid-free.)
*cereal box
*glue stick
*scissors
*mechanical pencil (with eraser)
*paper

Step 1: ATC template
Take the cereal box and cut out the front panel.  On the unprinted side, draw a rectangle the size of a standard ATC (2 1/2" x 3 1/2").  Cut the rectangle out, being very careful to keep the cuts straight, as this will be a template for lots of ATC fun, and must be accurate.

If you want, you can cover this template with paper to make it look kind of neat.

Step 2: Begin your illustration
Using your new ATC template, draw a rectangle on a piece of paper.

Step 3: Complete your illustration
Let your illustration flow outside the bounds of your rectangle so that there are no white edges on the completed ATC.

Step 4: Preparing to mount the ATC card
Hold the illustration up to the light, with the illustrated side toward the light.  Hold your ATC template on the back of the illustration and align it so that the template opening exactly matches the location of the rectangle that your illustration is drawn in.

Step 5: Draw a rectangle on the back of the illustration
Carefully place the illustration and ATC template on a hard surface, maintaining the exact positioning from the previous step, and draw a rectangle on the back of the illustration using a pencil.

Hold the illustration up to the light again, without the template this time, making sure that the rectangles on both the front and back of the illustration line up.  If necessary, readjust the rectangle on the back of the illustration.

Step 6: Erase the rectangle lines on the front of your illustration, if necessary
Since you don't want there to be lines showing on the front of your ATC left over from your drawing frame rectangle, you may choose to erase the lines from your original rectangle.  Carefully.  (See the arrows in my photo showing where I erased my lines.)

Step 7: Mounting the ATC cardboard
Uniformly coat the back of your illustration with the glue stick, going outside the bounds of the rectangle to make sure there is sufficient coverage.

Place your precut ATC board on the back of the illustration.  Press evenly to ensure full contact.  Turn the card illustration face up, place a piece of paper over the illustration to protect it, and evenly rub the entire card to ensure there are no bubbles or warping.

Step 8: Preparing to glue the back
Cut the illustration paper, now mounted to the ATC board, in a manner shown here.  Don't cut all the way to the corners.  Leave a bit overhanging.

Step 9: Glue the back
Glue opposing sides first, as shown in the illustration.  Then glue the remaining two.

Step 10: Trim the corners
Trim the little folded corners even with the ATC edge.  Carefully! lol

Step 11: Let it dry
Close the ATC between the pages of a thick hard cover book to ensure it will dry without warping.

Step 12: Print out a back label
A printed, personal label makes the back of the ATC look completed and professional (or, at least as professional as I can manage! lol)

Make it slightly smaller than the actual card itself.

Step 13: Glue the label on the back of the ATC
Evenly coat the back of the label with glue, make sure it's evenly lined up, and once again, use a second piece of paper to protect the surface of the label as you evenly press the label into place.  You may need to press the ATC between the pages of the book at this stage also to ensure the ATC doesn't warp.

Ta-DA!  You're done!  YEAH!

If anything is confusing about this tutorial, please let me know, and I'll make adjustments!  lol  Hope this helps all-you-all!   Kiss Grin
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012 12:59:21 PM by WideEyedLife » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010 06:07:59 AM »

This is a great tutorial(and of course the artwork is beautiful too!). I never would have thought of putting together an ATC the way you did.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimchery
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010 03:31:44 PM »

yay!  Wow, thank you for posting that!  Its a good tutorial through and through.  It was exciting to receive such professional and polished looking ATC, and its so cool you've shared it step by step so I can try it too.  Anyone who has gotten one of your awesome cards will appreciate this...  You rock! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheriffkarli
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010 09:02:35 AM »

Great! Thanks for posting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting blog and tutorials at www.madebykarli.com
wax51
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011 06:03:33 AM »

Neat...Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/wax51

I am totally after a Ying/Yang made of  Fire vs Ice
Wanna draw/paint/sketch me one?
blupaisan

crayyyyyyzeeeeeee about cats!!!

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011 08:09:46 PM »

a very helpful posting.  thanks a bunch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It were lightnin'...
AMIFRIENDS

I LOVE MONKEYS!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011 10:13:37 PM »

Oh ,yes!!!!! Clear as water!!!! Thanks a lot for this tutorial;)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I DON,T NEED TO GET ORGANIZED. I JUST NEED A BIGGER CRAFT ROOM =)

Im up for personal swaps...

My wists:
http://www.wists.com/AMIFRIENDS

my pinterest:
http://pinterest.com/amifriends/
Cranbeary
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011 02:34:12 PM »

Thanks! Super helpful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WideEyedLife
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011 04:36:32 PM »

Oh, I'm so glad this has been helpful to people!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011 10:29:03 AM »

I got your ATC yesterday and was studying the back of it.  It looks so beautiful and professional!  And then I found this tute today.  YAY!  Questions answered.  lol. 

BTW your work is so amazingly beautiful.  I absolutely loved the card I got.  <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Give Your Settlers of Catan Game Board a Magnetic Upgrade
Vote For New Monopoly Pieces
Shaheen Wirk on What Performing Artists Teach About Preparation
Matt Ruby on Taking Comedy Skills Beyond Just Being Funny
Blending Artistic and Financial Goals in a Creative Career
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...