A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 303,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Muchas Tortilla Cozies (6 various designs)  (Read 3081 times)
Tags for this thread: embroidery  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: November 23, 2010 02:27:28 PM »

I wanted to stitch something for Christmas presents, but wanted to make it something practical (not everyone rocks hoopla walls) so I made tortilla cozies.  I'm including a booklet of my favorite Mexican food recipes and some tortillas with each one.

The one I'm keeping, had to do a prototype.  Design is a comic by Natalie Dee.  Who knew french knots would be perfect for taco meat?

A vintage pattern I did in redwork.

A lovely senorita for my sister-in-law.

A gentleman taking his pig for a walk.

The pineapple price haggler.

Sweet sleepy burro.

Edit:  I added this action shot so you can see how they open (thanks melissanorth):

I got all of the vintage Mexican motif patterns from the Hoop Love Vintage Transfers group on Flickr. 

Mini-Tutorial,  no pictures, but piece of cake to do:
I stitched each design on a 13" square piece of unbleached muslin keeping the design about 8" square.  Then I cut each one into a 12" circle.  I then cut two 12" circles out of pre-quilted muslin (or you can deal with batting if you are braver than I am).  I placed the embroidered panel on top of one piece of the quilted fabric, then stitched extra wide double fold bias tape around them.  I then stitched another piece of bias tape around the second quilted fabric circle.  Stack your two circles together, sandwich a hanger in between and starting halfway up the circle, stitch an arc including your hanger over the top of the circle to the other side leaving a gap in the bottom for your tortillas to go in.

C&C welcome. Thanks for looking.   Closer photos of each design are in my Flickr photostream linked below.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010 03:48:04 PM by xperimentl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010 02:58:38 PM »

I love them! Please excuse me as it's late here and my brain's not on top form, but does that mean there's a little pocket on the back for the food?

I like the designs- I'll check out that group. They would also look lovely hanging up in the kitchen just for decoration :-)

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010 02:59:13 PM »

The pictures look like scenes from cartoons or something. Your stitches are so perfect, it's unreal. The colors in the last one are gorgeous, it's my favourite. The little donkey is so cute I nearly squealed! I like how you got around using a hoop, it's true not everyone appreciates them!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010 03:51:13 PM »

melissanorth, thanks for asking about the pocket, I didn't explain that part too well.  I included another photo above so you can see how the tortillas just slide in between the quilted pieces to stay toasty warm. Excuse my purple hands, it was cold outside and I take terrible indoor photos.  Smiley

Monkay, thanks for the nice comment on my stitches.  These took me way longer than I anticipated, hopefully they will be well received.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010 04:10:19 PM by xperimentl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010 04:29:26 PM »

They are all so cute, but my favorite is definitely the "tacoh no!" lmao hate it when my shell cracks and then all the goodness falls out! Thanks for sharing!

Magpie Crafter

Hooooo you lookin' at?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010 04:34:34 PM »

These are brilliant, adorable, and great gift ideas!  I want one for myself.  Cheesy

My Etsy Shop

My Craft Blog

Interested in swaps and such.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010 05:08:39 PM »

Your stitching is beautiful! What a great idea to make it practical.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. . . . I would rather have cheese.
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010 12:18:17 AM »

Ah, thankyou! You didn't have to go to the trouble just for me! They look so cosy, and my favourite is the redwork one- it looks like it's a drawing, but with thread.

Melissa x

Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010 07:09:24 AM »

LOVE all of them! The redwork is just stunning.

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010 09:18:49 AM »

okay, so my best friend and I got egyptian hieroglyph tattoos, I got a hare and my friend got this really strange one and the only description of it is "man walking pig by tail" I was just browsing and saw the amazing one of the man walking a pig. SO FANTASTIC! where did you get that specific pattern from, it's soo perfect I have to make it for my friend.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Boudoir Photo Shoot Is The Sexy Gift That Keeps On Giving
3 Rules for Better Underwater Photos
Unearthing The Work Of A Secret Nanny Photographer
How to Shoot Food Photos Like a Pro
Save on Photo Books in Snap
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clever Containers for Cuttings
September 30, 2015 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Spiral Veggies Recipes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...