A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,400
Currently Running With Scissors:
739 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: College Survival Kit?  (Read 2722 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Glass Fire
« on: July 22, 2010 10:22:24 AM »

Alright, so my boyfriend is headed off to college soon and I, being a year younger, am going to be a senior in high school. We've been dating for just over a year and a half, and I want to put something together to help him survive college. I've already got a few things, band aids, kool aid packets, tide to go stain remover pen, stuff like that, but I need some more ideas. What did you need your first year of college?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

[Blog: Rated T for True Life] An insight into the lives of teenagers.
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010 06:15:39 PM »

One of my favorite graduation gifts was a laundry basket with detergent, a laundry bag, and a roll of quarters among other things. If you want to get really DIY you could make the detergent and laundry bag.

Another handy item is a keychain/id holder. You need your student ID all the time, to get into buildings, show in the dining hall, etc. I went through more than 1 of these in school.

Snacky/food items that are filling but don't require extra ingredients (open & heat, or mix with water), non-perishible stuff. Examples: easy-mac, ramen, dried fruit, nuts, peanut butter, soups, spagetti-o's, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
Juicebox29
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010 09:25:13 AM »

Im going into my junior year so there is tons of stuff you dont think of till your there
-First aid stuff (bandaids, peroxide etc)
-White board! very helpful to keep track of assignments
-Peanut butter.. its a college staple.
-Medicines, colds and sickness run rampant.
-Hand sanitizer
-Tissues
-FLIP FLOPS, never ever shower without them, college bathrooms are gross.
-Compact Umbrella [walking to classes when it suddenly pours is not fun]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to do flat rate box{US} supply swaps! PM me if you're interested!
Will do personal swaps!
http://wists.com/JRoy32
Vicious Hyperbolizer
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010 07:32:19 AM »

Microwave recipes, or those nifty ramen recipes.
Not very romantic, but a change of sheets. Sheets are necessary for a comfy place and are kind of a hassle to wash if you're lugging your hamper around the dorm building. Definitely the roll of quarters mentioned earlier- they are very very needed.
I definitely agree with Juicebox29 on medicines. Cold stuff, a multivitamin, aspirin. Hand sanitizer.
Maybe make him something to remember you by. He'll miss you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill." -Barbara Tuchman
Mrs. Awesome_Pants

Creative minds are rarely tidy.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010 11:53:06 AM »

Definitely good snack foods, easy microwave recipes, on-the-go drink mixes, and the like.  I'll be a senior this year and every year it seems I discover something new that would've been really useful to have...

If he's going from a warm-weather climate to one with colder weather, definitely leave him with some appropriate stuff -- a cool hat, gloves/mittens, a scarf.  I was in this same situation and had to buy a new coat, gloves, boots, and a hat midway through my first year :-/

If he's the type (some guys aren't), maybe a journal or some such?  Or paper, envelopes, and stamps so he can write home.  On the reverse, some of the best gifts I've gotten while away at school were cards from my family --occasion cards, but also everyday encouragement and "We Miss You!" types.  My mom would write me a short note on the inside and then have my younger siblings sign it, and sometimes my brothers drew pictures for me and they sent them along with it.  Emails and phone calls are great, but nothing beats a little surprise like that in the mail.  I papered my bulletin board with those cards, and they were good little reminders of the love and support I had behind me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThePQ4
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010 09:31:47 PM »

I know this is late, but maybe this will help someone else who is making a kit for someone else, but: a can opener! I know it sounds silly, but I went almost my entire freshman year without one...and it was a real pain! I always had to buy pop-top soups, or microwave containers...very annoying when you really want tuna, and you forget to pick up the vacuum seal packages rather then the cans...luckily I now have about three, all because of that.

Also: stationary supplies like binder and paper clips, pens and pencils, a stapler, a cheap 3-hole punch, and post-it notes. Envelopes are helpful too, since you never known when you'll have to mail something, as well as a book of Forever stamps (where available).

Munchies are always good:Cookies, chips, travel-boxes of cereal, Cheese & Cracker packs, as well as movie-boxes of candy, and a lot of Ramen. You probably don't have to worry too much about major perishables, since these will be the first things used, LOL.

Also, a gift card to Wal-Mart, Target, or whatever the local big-box store near campus is. It's always good for a student to have some back-up cash when they're broke and starving.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zoby
No Pants, No Problem!

Something witty goes here.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010 05:58:28 PM »

Get him a good pair of headphones, for sure, especially if the poor boy is living in res. Tupperwares/storage containers for everything are useful, earplugs (again this is if he's living in res or with a roommate), and toilet paper. Would you want to only be able to use cheap scratchy TP for a whole year? Uck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Hoppin John - Black Eyed Peas and Rice
How to make Salmon and Cod
How to make March Madness Chicken Wings
How to make Potato Salad
How to make Chicken with Tomatoes in a Dutch Oven
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...