A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,806
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to make my big brother for his birthday?  (Read 988 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

notnancy
« on: November 22, 2010 02:12:08 PM »

I have, for the past few years, made something for my brother's birthday. It's close to xmas, and I want him to feel that his bday is special and not just lumped in with another holiday. In the past I've made him a memory tin (burning an Altoids tin then filling it with a collage); a box of quotes about life and humor in general; and last year I put together a writer's kit (butt-pillow for his computer chair, journals, and a portfolio-as well as a 12 pack of soda to keep him awake at night) b/c he's a screenplay writer.
This year I am at a lost as to what to do.
Here are the basics:
He's my big brother.
He'll be 33.
He's writes movies and scripts (comedies/thinker thrillers mostly).
He has a cat named Elvis and likes Elvis.
No fave color.
He's a Saints fan, but not one of the super fans.
He's been on his own for about a year since he and his wife of 10 years split up, so he's doing the bachelor thing.

As far as my skills go, I cannot crochet or knit. Everything else I can pretty much do (ok, no metal crafts either) (oh and sewing is limited).
So that's all I can think of...thanks for any suggestions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babyface843
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010 04:57:40 PM »

This might sound a little lame, but how about a "thinking cap" for times when he can't come up with a good idea to write about.  Otherwise it would keep his head warm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flygirl88
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010 05:06:32 PM »

Depending on his sense of humor, how about a cross-stitch giving away the endings of popular movies?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovers of air find it exhilarating to hang poised between the illusion of immortality, and the fact of death -Alexander Chase

http://www.pinterest.com/aviatrix88/
KathrynJB
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010 01:07:59 PM »

I have a magnet that I keep on my computer's speaker that I love. It says "I write stuff." with a little monster sort of thing. You could make something for his desk (paint a mug for pens, make a little plaque, whatever) that says that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThePQ4
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010 12:43:05 PM »

I don't remember where I saw it, maybe here someplace, but what how about magnetic letters for the fridge/etc?? The tute I saw took old wood scrabble tiles, stuck magnets on the backs. You could spell out something specific, or make a whole set. They're tons of fun on the fridge, and could stem a pretty great idea for any writer. I can't wait to make mine Wink

If you don't have an old Scrabble board you're willing to part with, you can probably find a game at Goodwill or other thrift shop for a couple of bucks --get a couple and give him an extra-large set.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Abstract Design Element - Photoshop
How to Resize Pictures - Adobe Photoshop
How to Use the Motion Blur Filter - Adobe Photoshop
How to Create Simple Shapes - Adobe Photoshop
how to Bring Drawings to Life Part 1/2 - Adobe After Effects
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...