A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,536
Currently Running With Scissors:
533 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: photo quilt, not made with tranfers.  (Read 637 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pretty Pistol
Pretty Pistol

Doe Raemie

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2010 05:38:04 PM »

i want to make a photo quilt.  but not with transfers that you iron on.  i want to make pockets you can slip a 4x6 into.  so the photos can change as kids get older ect.  i got the idea from a quilt that hangs in nearly every cracker barrel resturant ive been in.  its a quilt with a tree and plushie apples  that have little pockets to hold wallet size photos.     

something similar to the photo pocket purses/diaper bags like this http://www.amazon.com/BSI-QUILTED-PHOTO-DIAPER-BAG/dp/B0020ICESG  but in quilt form rather than bag form.

idealy id like to have 9 squares with pockets, that resembles a frame. i have the clear vinyl, i just need to figure out how to make the quilt blocks and attach them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Such a Pretty Pistol
anaximander
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010 11:18:49 AM »

Okay. I have yet to find a quilt design that really works totally for me including the vinyl.

I do, however, have one that *doesn't* use vinyl. This is only for a wallhanging, and won't work for a bag, because the photos are held in place basically by friction. I don't actually have a photo or the directions from where I got it, but here's how I do it.

Keep in mind this makes only one "frame" unit for a photo. Combine them with whatever patches, etc, you like, for the desired effect.

First, pick out, and cut out, your backing. This has to be exactly a half inch larger than the photo you intend to use. In my case, I pretty exclusively use 4x6 photos, so my backing fabric is 4.5x6.5.

Then I take a two inch wide strip of fabric, 22 inches long or thereabouts. Long enough to run completely along each of the four sides. I fold it in half, press, and fold it in half again, and press again. You want to make it stiff enough that it will hold the photo in place, but not too thick to sew through. If the fabric's a little flimsy, run a fast basting stitch down the open side, just to keep it all in place. It should be a half inch wide at this point. Cut it into four pieces - two that are 4.5" long, and two that are 6.5" long. Sew one piece along each side of the backing fabric, so that it's attached to the right side. Here, you want to do the long sides first, then the short sides. Use a 1/4" seam. Then sew once all the way around the whole thing, just for reinforcement.This creates a shallow pocket to act as a "frame". Add it to whatever other patches you like, in whatever manner you like. Quilt if desired - but make sure you leave the "frames" open. You can tuck a photo inside, and the fabric will be stiff enough to hold it in for a wallhanging. This will not work for anything that has to be flexible, though - anything that has to move - because it's only friction holding the photo in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pretty Pistol
Pretty Pistol

Doe Raemie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010 11:32:25 AM »

thanks so much this helps a lot.  i knew i couldnt be the only person out there with this idea.  it seems so obvious, especialy since most quilters i know arent just quilters. they are scrapbookers, or painters, drawers, or just grandmothers aunts or sisters with loved ones to show off.   this is really helpfull because i did want to make a wall hanging, mainly because i dont have time to finsh anything larger before christmas.   

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Such a Pretty Pistol
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Decadent and Gluten-Free Donuts at Fonuts in LA
How to Make Rocky Road Frozen Yogurt in a Flash
Cigarettes and Booze in a Piece of Chocolate
How to Make Homemade Gingerbread
Greek Frozen Yogurt at Culture in Brooklyn
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...