A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gingerbread man pillow! With Tute!  (Read 2829 times)
Tags for this thread: gingerbread_man , pillow , stuffie , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

baileemartini
« on: November 21, 2010 04:27:39 PM »

So I have seen pillows that look like gingerbread men before, and I wanted to make one. I googled "gingerbread man" and up came a picture of a man with a bite missing. I liked the idea, but the one in the picture still had a happy face, and I thought it would be better to give him a freaked out face, a la Mr. Bill. So, I purchased some extra supplies and whipped him up in about an hour, maybe a little more. Here is what you need:

1/2 yard brown felt off the bolt (which gave me enough to make two; I haven't done the girl version yet)
1 piece each of red, black, green, and light pink craft felt rectangles (found at Joann's). If you plan on making a girl, pick a color for the bow, but put it on her head instead of neck.
2 buttons (4 if you are making a girl and a boy)
About 1 yard jumbo ric rac (I thought I had white, but it was actually light blue, and it looks good, so you can probably use any color you wish)
Matching thread colors for each thing (red, green, black, pink, light blue, and brown)
Poly Fil
A lighter

To make two pillows, you will need 4 pieces of felt. The felt is 72" wide and 18" long, so cut 4 pieces, 18"x18 (the directions here are just for the man, but once you make him, the girl will be easy). Stack them all, and using a sharpie, draw your gingerbread shape onto the top piece of felt, leaving out the bite mark.

Using a large pair of scissors, cut out the stack of 4 gingerbread shapes all at once. Then take the top two, and draw a bite mark on the head and cut it out. Take the bottom two and put the bite mark somewhere else, like the leg or arm, and cut it out and set those aside for the girl.

Grab the pieces with the bite marks on the head. Take your piece with sharpie drawn on, and move it from the top to the bottom, so the marked piece is now facing what will be the inside of your pillow, and the clean piece is on top. This way you can make mistakes with your drawing or change things, and no one will see the pen marks.

Take your other felt and start cutting out pieces for the eyes, mouth, cheeks, and bow tie. I just guessed and then trimmed them to make them work with the idea I wanted. Lay everything out where you want it to go to make sure your eyes aren't too big, the bow tie is the right size, etc.

Grab your ric rac and carefully melt the raw end with a lighter (don't hold your lighter on the ric rac, but right next to it, quickly running it along the edge, so you don't burn it). Hold the ric rac up to your man's leg, find a good place for it, and then use your scissors to trim it to the right length, and use the lighter to melt the raw end. Repeat for all limbs.

Now that you have all your pieces, grab the top part of your gingerbread man and start sewing! The closer you match your thread colors to your felt colors, the more wiggle room you will have in case you make a mistake. I did a messy job of sewing on my felt pieces, but my thread matches so well that you can't tell. I started with the mouth, then the cheeks, eyes, bowtie, ric rac, and then I hand sewed the buttons on. The fabric is really fuzzy so I didn't even need to pin anything; it just stuck where I put it.

Once all your features are sewn on, put your top and bottom together, put your brown thread in the machine, and starting on the left side of Mr. Gingerbread (his left, not yours), about an inch above your leg ric rac, sew a tack stitch, and then sew down the leg and all the way around, making sure your pieces are matched up so you catch the top and bottom. Stop sewing about an inch below the left armpit and tack, so you have a hole just big enough to fit your hand through, about 3 inches or so.

Grab your poly fil and break off a chunk, and start stuffing. I found it was easier to use my hand because the stuffing wanted to stick to the fabric and it was kind of hard to get in. Now, you have two options. Fill him all the way and try to smash him into your machine and sew him shut. Or, you can get him almost all the way full, and then sew your big opening smaller, until it is just about an inch long. Use a capped pen, dowel, or something about that size to shove the last bit of stuffing in, and then sew him shut. If you can't tell, I chose option two.

Now all you have to do is pick off the spare bits of poly fil that are stuck to his body, and you are done! It was really, really easy, I was surprised at how simple and quick this was, and I didn't have any patterns or a tute. Give it a try and show me what you come up with!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010 05:40:24 PM by baileemartini » THIS ROCKS   Logged
monkey_girl
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010 08:58:07 PM »

I love the look of terror on his face - good work:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.adventuresofagirlfromthenaki.blogspot.com

So many crafts, so many ideas, so little time!

My wist!

http://www.wists.com/Trees

I love charms for jewelery making, got anything gothic? Want to swap? PM me!
flygirl88
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010 04:40:18 PM »

I laughed out loud at the look on his face  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovers of air find it exhilarating to hang poised between the illusion of immortality, and the fact of death -Alexander Chase

http://www.pinterest.com/aviatrix88/
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010 06:52:45 AM »

a- I love this pillow. b- i think you have the same couches as me.   With that said, I think I'll be making one (or more) of these for around the house this year.  It's great! and it goes well with those couches Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sew With a Sewing Machine
How to Make a Friendly Foam Porcupine
How to Make a Snow Globe
How to Fold an Origami Crane
How to Recycle Refrigerator Magnets
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...