A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage baby shower theme (lots of pics, many from the shower)  (Read 2775 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rebecca404
« on: November 21, 2010 07:52:11 AM »

My sister had her baby shower quite awhile ago (my niece is now 3 months old!  Cheesy ), but here are some pictures from it.

We put a lot of diy time into it.  I think it turned out more "her" than the shower thrown by her new grandmother-in-law, but I'm a bit biased.  Wink

We went for a vintage baby theme, which worked out well since both my mom and I like to shop at garage sales and second hand stores.  The location we used was perfect as far as general location, room size, attached kitchen, etc. but...it's not real pretty.  I don't have a good "before" pic, but it's a church social room with lots of ugly tables, outdated decor, etc.  

I used inspiration and images from all over the place, but have since switched computers so I'm not 100% sure on the links.  I can try yo look them up if anyone's interested.

To start, here are the invitations that I made with Photoshop and just printed on cardstock:

They have an inside joke regarding pigs, so decided to use that as a starting point for decorating the nursery.  I made the "registered at" cards with Photoshop as well and just printed them much smaller on regular paper to go inside the invites:

For their wedding shower, lots of people who couldn't make it sent packages ahead of time.  Only problem is, they live in VT and the shower was in PA and they had to ship things back to VT.  Same thing for this shower, so we decided to put their address on the card, even if it is a bit tacky.

I also made a "family tree" picture for guests to sign.  I saw these for wedding showers or wedding guest books, but their wedding's over, so why not for a baby shower?  Tongue   (it's my niece's first and middle name).  And with some of the "leaf prints":

I highly encouraged people to practice ahead of time on the spare paper.  Tongue
And despite giving our other sister a hard time about being careful, she still wrote "Ant Ellie" by accident.  Tongue

When you first walked in, there was a small easel (found it at the church! Tongue ) with old family photographs on it:

There was a random toy table with vintage toys on it:

We strung up lots and lots of onesies (mostly found at thrift stores, but we figured they were cute and reusable):

The food table, before food:

We used vintage tableclothes, mostly found in the church's collection of tableclothes.  My mom and I found vintage handkerchiefs (some actually vintage, some reproductions) and used them as "placemats" and decoration.  I had also found a .pdf with old Golden Books images on it, so I printed and cut them out to make "confetti" for the tables.

My mom and younger sister made almost all of the food and drink:

We decided on finger foods and salad since it was a 1:00.

One of the great things about having it at our church was that we had tons of dishes and a huge kitchen at our disposal.  Plus they looked rather vintage.  Wink  We found cute little ice cream cups and gave everyone a chocolate covered strawberry, which also added to the decor quite nicely!  We had the plates out at the tables since it was buffet style food.  The huge kitchen dish washer at the end was nice, too!

Behind the food tables was a terribly ugly sound-silencing curtain.  I couldn't do much about it, so I just hung vintage cards from it:

They're just images found from all over the internet that I printed on copy paper.  I strung them up and hung them as banners throughout the room:

I loved the centerpieces we used.  Totally my mom's idea:

They're just teacups filled with plants.  Some I can tell are from her collection, but she bought the rest secondhand and filled with her own plants.  Smiley

It also worked out well since we used them as the give away gifts at the end.  

In the background, you can sort of make out a baby's face on the projector.  Given that my sister got married in CT, a lot of the PA family and friends couldn't make it.  So we showed a video slideshow with pictures from the wedding.  Since we had the thing hooked up, my younger sister made a slideshow of babies making funny faces.  We just played it on a loop while everyone was arriving.  Smiley  Later we also played a loop of pictures of my sister when she was a baby/growing up.  My mom also found an old recording of an "interview" with her that she'd done when my sister was 13 describing what her future husband, kids, and life would be.  We all had a lot of fun watching that and comparing her current life to what she was imagining!  Cheesy

Here is the gift table, my parents bought her the rocking chair so it looked nice next to the gifts and she was able to use it.  Smiley

They have a similar one that she had always admired.

And lastly, a view of the whole room with some guests:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010 07:54:43 AM by Rebecca404 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please check out my Etsy shop with wrapped wire jewelry:

http://GetWiredDesigns.etsy.com
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010 09:56:27 PM »

What great ideas you used and they came out fantastic. Love so many things in the photos. Those blankets, invites. The tree! I love the thumbprint idea. Centerpieces. Just plan great ideas and you made them come together wonderfully. Congratulations on the party and becoming an ant....uh... aunt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marcusandila
Fairy Tales are Real

A TRUE LOVE Story Never Ends

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010 03:39:35 PM »

i really like the thumbprint fam. tree. that's adorable & will make a great keepsake
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY BLOG
MY PINTEREST
Momma to Cade & Cas
*Personal Swap? Yeahhh!*
leigh7911
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011 11:28:45 AM »

I'm a little late to the game, but I just discovered this board. What a gorgeous shower! It's obvious a lot of time and thought was put into it. You have a very lucky sister! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Underwater Digital Photography - Part 1/2
How to Work With a Soft Box
Photographing the Extraordinary within the Ordinary
Travel Photography Tips & Techniques
Storing Images
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...