A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,033
Currently Running With Scissors:
493 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Questions about what size needle to use for yarn  (Read 559 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2010 07:24:45 AM »

Hello all! I think my question has been answered here before, but it's not jumping out at me.

I bought some yarn off etsy awhile ago, and can't wait to use it, however it never specified needle size! All it says is 3 ply, and to me it looks like fingering weight, but I'm not sure. Is there a way I can figure this out without making swatches with a bunch of different needles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010 07:37:33 AM »

Hello all! I think my question has been answered here before, but it's not jumping out at me.

I bought some yarn off etsy awhile ago, and can't wait to use it, however it never specified needle size! All it says is 3 ply, and to me it looks like fingering weight, but I'm not sure. Is there a way I can figure this out without making swatches with a bunch of different needles?

You might be able to do the Wraps per inch thingy.  Wrap the yarn around a ruler in the space of one inch and count the strands.  This site tells more about it.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010 07:59:27 AM »

Yes, the wpi can work as long as the yarn isn't fuzzy. If it's a fingering weight, then which needle size depends on what you want to knit with it. For socks you need a really small needle to get dense stitches, for lace, you want a really large one for the looser open stitches, if you want to make a light floaty items, then you'd use a fairly large needle too. If you double it, that would be like a DK weight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010 08:18:32 AM »

80% superwash merino wool and 20% nylon ultraspun into a smooth, soft, dense, elastic yarn! This yarn is unbelievably soft and very smooth, giving wonderful stitch definition. It is 3 ply and dense so it wears extremely well. It also has a little very fine nylon blended into it to help it wear well, but it is difficult if not impossible to feel the nylon - not even remotely scratchy or stiff. You get the benefit of tough as nails hard-wearing socks after all your hard work AND the extra-plush ultrasmooth butter softness of beautiful merino yarn to knit (and wear).

^^This is the description for it. I'm guessing since it mentions making socks I'd use a smaller needle. I was going to make some fingerless gloves with it or socks, haven't quite decided yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nastij
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010 11:10:14 AM »

1.) swatch to see if you can get the gauge called for in your pattern; or,

2.) using a needle gauge, see which size hole a doubled piece of the yarn fits through.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Thick and Wavy Hair to a Long Face
How to Style Coarse and Textured Hair to a Long Face
How to Match Coarse Textured Hair with a Square Face
How Style Straight Hair for a Heart Shaped Face
How to Style Hair for an Oval Face
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...