A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,480
Currently Running With Scissors:
433 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Leftover Yarn  (Read 1393 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

applesweet
Darling

Banana-Headed Thing

View Profile WWW
« on: November 20, 2010 08:03:42 PM »

What do you guys do with your leftover bits? I always end up with a couple feet/a small ball of yarn that I can't integrate into my project and they just sit around gathering dust. Does anyone have any good ideas for the leftover pieces? Done any good projects? I wish I had kids because they would just become craft projects for them but alas..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010 07:11:21 AM »

You can tie them together and make a variegated scarf, some people like making toys which don't need a lot of yardage or you can use them to stuff toys, you can use them for stitch markers or holders, and if they're a few yards then you can try out new patterns or techniques instead of your project yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
dawn0684

You know what? It doesn't matter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010 04:49:18 PM »

I've used leftovers for scarves, stripe on a blanket, stripe on a hat, granny squares and the rest just sit in a box until I can come up with something to use them for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010 10:55:48 AM »

I use my scraps for a couple of things like stitch markers, life lines, stuffing, etc.  I also think scraps work great to make things like coasters.  You could also start a scrap blanket (I'm going to be using my sock yarn leftovers for this) and use your scraps that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clumsy_momma
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010 06:37:10 PM »

headbands...lots and lots of headbands. Quick, easy and useful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kittymom13
Right @ Home on Craftster:

Meow...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010 02:14:27 AM »

yuppers to all the above! =] 
I save mine as well, even the small ones.  I'd like to do a fat fiber book and zig zag them together into collage pages w/other embellishments and embroidery.  A bit of a diary of yarns I've used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
khalleron
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010 12:19:45 PM »

I make a lot of toys, so my scraps tend to get used.  If you crochet, too, then a cute little amigurumi will use up those scraps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jane2
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010 12:57:32 PM »

Cut your small pieces into lengths between 1 and 2 inches.
And then wait for spring. (You will probably want a bag of some sort to store the pieces in - they accumulate rather quickly.)

When the birds around you (or in a nearby park or green area) are busy looking for building blocks for their nests ... you have just the thing for them!

Scatter the pieces around and in a few day's/week's time, be on the look-out for wildly coloured nests.

Pieces of yarn that are two inches in length or longer than two inches are dangerous for the birds' health. So I make a habit of cutting the pieces at around the inch mark. That way I get - the birds get! - two pieces, instead of one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
applesweet
Darling

Banana-Headed Thing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010 03:43:35 PM »

yuppers to all the above! =] 
I save mine as well, even the small ones.  I'd like to do a fat fiber book and zig zag them together into collage pages w/other embellishments and embroidery.  A bit of a diary of yarns I've used.

This is such a beautiful idea! I would love to see this completed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010 08:47:17 AM »

you can use them to decorate -  fill the clear Christmas tree ornament balls with them, or put them in a glass vase on a shelf. I have 3 vases in my china cabinet full with unspun roving because it needed some color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mudbug1096
"It's a special kind of stupid"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010 06:39:43 AM »

I keep all my leftover bits in a ziptop bag. My sister in law recently requested kitchen towels with a knit top to hang from her fridge, so I had a plethora of leftovers to choose from. I also am fond of making coffee mug sleeves or cozies, often the leftovers are just enough.  Sometimes if making poms for hats I like to put different colors in there too. If you have space to keep them, you can always find a use. My post Christmas task is to make booties for my barstools so they dont scratch my floors, and I'll probably use leftovers for that as well. The possibilities are endless!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kylie Jenner’s Beauty Products Haul
Beauty Smartie Laura Gives You a Tour of Her Makeup Station
Beauty Master Class with Michelle Phan
Pretty Amazing Photoshoot Makeovers
Try This Light, Fresh Look For Spring
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...