A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,399
Currently Running With Scissors:
763 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boring entertainment center to PERFECT wardrobe  (Read 3031 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rebecca404
« on: November 20, 2010 07:13:17 PM »

At my last apartment, I had a huuuge closet to store my clothes.  Lots and lots of shelves inside.  But when I moved...this apartment's closet was amazingly small and in an inconvenient location.  I had previously been using my dresser to store craft supplies and was a bit annoyed with having to actually use it for clothes again.

So, after shopping around some (mostly on craigslist Tongue ), I decided the best bet would be to make my own (ie, my boyfriend Kenny  would make it and I wold give ideas and paint it).  I knew I mostly wanted shelf space, as I don't like using drawers.  

This is what we ended up with:

Some pictures and history of the work in progress.....

I don't have a true "before" picture, since the stupid thing fell apart as we tried to get it into the apartment.  I would not recommend redoing a piece of furniture that is particle board.  Ick.

Here is a picture I found of it on the web:  It's an entertainment unit by Sauder.

It was extremely heavy.  Really super-duper heavy.  The guy who sold it to me on craigslist had to help us get it into the truck, which was not a good sign.  Before attempting to get it off the truck, we took it apart as much as we thought was possible.  It was still too heavy.   Sad  We took it apart more.  It broke in a bunch of places trying to get it up the stairs and into the apartment.   Angry

The rest of the work took a long time.  The tenants downstairs complained that we were sawing upstairs (this was last winter, so, yes, we did use the chopsaw inside.  Sheesh what a mess).  I was "fired" from painting (the primer and base coat) because I am too messy...both with the application and the potential to get paint on the carpet.  Tongue  Numerous trips back and forth to Home Depot trying to find the right materials.  It took about three months total to complete.

Kenny made doors to cover the shelving inside:  We were originally going to keep the glass door on the far right, but when it was shut it didn't line up with the new doors and just didn't match closely enough.  So we took it off and made a new one ("we" = Kenny Tongue ).  Finding good hinges was a pain, too.  None at Home Depot were able to screw onto such a thin piece of wood.  We also decided to make the shelf that would hold the tv up a bit higher, so we redid that as well.  I changed my mind and decided I wanted a few drawers, so we put some in on the top shelf.  

We gave the whole thing a good coat of primer.

Here's a shot of the inside drawer:

Everything was painted brown:
(Same brown I've used on almost all of my furniture.  Tongue  I originally purchased it for this shelf and have since used it on most of my projects: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=274263.msg3100134#msg3100134 )

The back was painted green:

It took me ages to decide how to decorate it.  I changed my mind about a million times, before settling on Kenny's original idea of birch trees:
(sorry for some of the pictures' quality, they were taken with a cell phone camera).

An action shot:

It's unfortunately less sturdy than we would like.  Mostly due to the stupid particle board.  It got all out of whack when we moved it into the bedroom.  One of the doors still doesn't always shut right.  Tongue  The stupid thing is so heavy!  We had a hard time moving it at all.  

And now for some more pictures:

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010 08:24:28 AM by Rebecca404 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please check out my Etsy shop with wrapped wire jewelry:

http://GetWiredDesigns.etsy.com
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010 07:24:51 PM »

This is beautiful! I love the painted trees on the front and it is simply stunning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rebecca404
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010 07:38:54 PM »

Thanks!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010 08:09:38 PM »

i love how detailed your birch trees are!  what a wonderful redo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maidofspades
Bumblebeetuna.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010 08:26:10 PM »

The branches are so realistic. I love it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindzyt
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010 08:28:02 PM »

Wow!  Lots of work pays off.  This is beautiful!  I would be very proud to have something like this in my house.  Smiley   Great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.
- Picasso
---------------------------
Current Swaps :

Have to take a short break from swapping  Sad  Life has gotten in the way
kazyeeqen
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010 08:50:29 PM »

So beautiful. Unfortunately now you can never move, how would it survive?! Smiley I agree with you about the particle board, it's yuck, but that's what they make furniture out of nowadays. Sad I've never seen something so beautiful made out of it though, excellent job!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
peccorina
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010 02:37:58 AM »

I really love the colours and the design on it!
Self-painted furniture is so much better than everything else. Always makes me happy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rebecca404
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010 05:55:54 AM »

Thanks everyone!

I know, we joke about not being able to move because of it.  I would imagine if we had a couple of stronger (than me) people helping we could move it, though.  And since we made it, we could fix anything that breaks!   Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ChrisSews
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010 03:48:51 AM »

Great recon.  I just love what you did with a crappy old entertainment center.  The trees on front are really well done! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my projects, ideas, and swap wish list at...
http://pinterest.com/cmsargent/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Polymer Clay Rosh Hashana Magnet Part 2/2
Creative Play Date Activities
Make Your Pumpkin "Two Faced" to Cast Images
How to Use Leftovers Wisely
How to Make Unique Handmade Gifts
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...