A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Phone case final plus link to tutorial (at end of first post)  (Read 12762 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rauni
« on: November 20, 2010 06:35:13 PM »

Link to Tutorial: http://www.4shared.com/office/iYMlTReR/Blackberry_phone_case_Tutorial.html
New photos and notes added below:

We picked names for Christmas at work, and I have decided to make my recipient a case for her blackberry (case is designed for a Blackberry Tour, but will likely fit an iPhone as well).  I decided to first make a prototype to make sure I knew what I was doing.  Glad I did too, because I made a few errors that I need to fix.  First, I made it too short (the flap doesn't come over far enough, makes it hard to snap it closed - either that or I need to move the snap), second, I made it too narrow (it fits my phone, but won't fit her's).  I also have thought about using fabric at the sides instead of the webbing that I used.  So anyway, here is the prototype, it also has a interior pocket to hold a debit/credit card or notes.  I'll post photos of the final case when I finish it.  Thanks for looking!

Rauni

Closed:

Back:

Open empty:

Open and full (with my phone):

Added:  Ok I finished the other case, and did add fabric instead of webbing to the sides.  I like the new one, but honestly I think I like my first one better, lol.  In my first one, I used craft foam in between the fabric layers, to give the phone some added protection, but in this new one, I used that neoprene stuff, which is thicker, but makes the case bulkier (and harder to bend).  Fabric was bought at Walmart by the way, it's my only source other than online, unfortunately, and now that Walmart has very little sewing supplies, it's not a very good source.  I've also now officially run out of craft weight interfacing, and I'm not sure what I'll do!!! Guess I better find some online or go on a shopping trip.  

2nd attempt front:

2nd attempt back:

2nd attempt interior:

Ok, I made the final phone case.  Used velcro instead of snaps and created a tutorial for it, which can be found here in PDF format:
http://www.4shared.com/office/iYMlTReR/Blackberry_phone_case_Tutorial.html

Finished case:

Case Open:

Interior:

Please post your photos if you make this case, I would love to see them!

Rauni
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012 06:53:23 AM by rauni » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.
b2j2fitz
Vibrant Designs

...is striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010 06:45:10 PM »

I love comments on my posts Smiley so...here's mine on someone else's that i think rocks!  This is beautiful and I'm looking forward to seeing the improved product.  Do you plan on writing up a tutorial/pattern for this?  It looks quite professional!  REALLY nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

6craftycats
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010 07:17:59 PM »

This IS very nice! I love the little extra inside pocket! As someone who is still in the learning stages of sewing, a little tute would be nice  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OlalalaurenO

Mommy's little helper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010 08:20:35 PM »

I think it looks great! You mentioned changing out the webbing on the sides to fabric instead....maybe you could even do an elastic and give it a little stretch when needed. Just a thought I had. I love this and the fabric is too cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*Lauren*~

My Etsy!
http://theCraftyPrincess.etsy.com
Personal swaps are fun. We should try one.
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010 08:42:31 PM »

Instead of the snap I would do velcro so that you don't have to push on your phone to shut it. Mine is sensitive to key pushing...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
goldeneyez
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010 08:45:58 PM »

this sure is cute!  I would also add the elastic on the side and velcro instead of the snap for the same reason.  Blackberry's don't like being pushed on that way lol  Just ask my last one   Wink  I was thinking of making something like this and I love the looks of yours.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rauni
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010 09:02:19 PM »

Good point about the snap, I hate velcro because it never seems to be a good strong closure, but you are both right about the snaps (I love the look of snaps too bad they take so much pressure).  I would ideally love to use magnets, but I worry they would interfere with the phones electronics.  Buttons are frustrating when you want to open and close something like a phone case easily and quickly.  Hmmm, I'll have to think on this, I fear velcro may be the only logical choice.  Closures are always frustrating with electronic cases. 

Rauni
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.
zombiekilla

I don't mean to impose, but I am the Ocean.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010 09:41:58 PM »

I love this!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WarcraftWench

I have the grace and poise of a crackhead rhino

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010 09:51:50 PM »

This would be soooo perfect! I have been looking for a case for my Blackberry!! Crossing my fingers for a tute
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010 07:16:04 AM »

The only thing that kinda bums me about velcro is finding matching colors so it doesn't stick out. Some craft stores have a few colors and I match my fabrics to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Good Black and White Tone
How to Achieve Balance Amongst your Images
How to Crop to Achieve Image Balance
How to Use Negative Spaces in Images
How to Anchor an Image with Scenic Architecture
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...