A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,080
Currently Running With Scissors:
782 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Unorthodox quilting experiment: polyester flag!  (Read 1341 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lyric889
« on: November 20, 2010 04:04:59 PM »

Finally got around to taking pictures of my newest quilt!! Itís nice and cozy Smiley

I wanted to make a Real Madrid quilt of some kind but I didnít really want to stencil or anything so I thought why not just buy a RM polyester flag off of ebay and use that! I know polyester isn't ideal material for quilting but I though I'd might as well try, thats how you learn!

So I bought one, super cheap, like $5, off ebay.  While I waited for it to get here, I found some scraps in my fabric stash and pieced the back/top(which ever way you see it) of the quilt. I think it came out really cute! Once it got here I just put the flag over it and pinned it like crazy(lots of blood was lost on this project lol), then started quilting. It was SO hard to quilt polyester!!! This was kind of an experiment and it actually came out a lot better than I expected.
**If anyone wants to try this, I suggest using spray adhesive for the basting since the fabric is very slippery and silky, it would have probably made my experience a lot easier.

I quilted around all the outlines of the crest and around the letters. Idk if you can see the numbers in white, but Iím actually not done with those. But those are my absolute favorite footballers so it really cool for me that they play on the same club now Smiley I think Iím gonna add a few of my other favorite RM players number too.

Just in time for El Clasico! Tell me what you think!

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010 04:10:53 PM by lyric889 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Padester
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010 05:18:58 PM »

That looks totally cool!  I love how it came out.  I can see how it would be a pain to work with, but the result is great!  Love the patchwork side of it, too! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amalgam
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010 07:09:50 PM »

Great job! I must admit, it has crossed my mind to make a completely artificial quilt-artificial fabric, artificial batting,etc.-just to see what would happen. This gives me an idea. I might still try it someday though. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I found these 4x5 plastic picture protectors and I want to fill them up with YOUR art. Let's swap.

http://www.wists.com/liko_2000
http://pinterest.com/liko_2000
Aliped

Only dead fish go with the flow ....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010 08:52:35 PM »

Wow, that's fantastic!  What kind of batting did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lyric889
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010 09:59:01 PM »

Thanks so much everyone!

Wow, that's fantastic!  What kind of batting did you use?

I used simple cotton/poly batting. Its not super thick so you can kinda see the squares through the white lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenallie03
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010 06:48:09 PM »

That looks awesome! Polyester seems like a daunting fabric choice to try to sew with. Here's hoping Madrid keeps up their no losing streak at the very least, but I'm hoping for a win!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lyric889
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010 12:57:33 PM »

That looks awesome! Polyester seems like a daunting fabric choice to try to sew with. Here's hoping Madrid keeps up their no losing streak at the very least, but I'm hoping for a win!

Here's hoping! Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Right Way To Tease Your Hair: Hair Tips
Party Hair for Every Length
Short Hair Trend Taking Over Hollywood
How To Clip In Hair Extensions And Curl For Big Volume
Exclusive: How to Add Instant Bangs With Clip-In Extensions
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...