A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,209
Currently Running With Scissors:
461 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cleaning up - for the reals (pic heavy)  (Read 1001 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyDiem
« on: November 20, 2010 08:12:59 AM »

So...I'm kind of hoping to motivate myself into cleaning up/organizing my craft space through both support here and by embarrassing myself by showing how out of control the craft space is.  I didn't get pictures of everything before I started organizing (yay already motivated!) Smiley

OK...

This is pathetic because I work from home and this is supposed to be my office - not my craft space.  I'd like to say that because of the holidays stuff is creeping up here but I don't think that's the whole truth:

The overly pink (like that when we moved here 2 years ago) craft room.  As you can see I've already been through and cleared a whole aisle that you could walk through to actually reach stuff.  Not crafty usable yet but...

Cubbies for fabric - and how do you organize your scraps???  That is a big question for me.  I have colors sorted in ziplock bags but those are not big enough.  Up on top of those shelves are all the things that will require further organization - notions, elastic, velcro, buttons, paints, other crafts...  stuff!

Another look at the cubbies.  You can see I've attempted to organize before!

Evil closet of doom.  Holds my Superquilter that I haven't even figured out how to use.   Cry Also boxes of stuff - some I don't even know what's in them.  Plus a cool find of bamboo poles from the floral center of our grocery store on clearance!  I see outdoor tents and play spaces next summer...

The craft room is so full of stuff that the things I am currently working on are out in our downstairs family space (much to my husband's dismay)

Last night's progress!

I put my yarn in a tub to keep it from getting dusty.  Also it was taking up a lot of shelf space.  This is pretty...

Thanks for looking!  Encouragement and ideas for organization are WELCOME!!  So is commiseration.  Smiley
Emily
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Progress not perfection.

http://craftydiem.blogspot.com/
BCJen
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010 02:43:45 PM »

Yay! I actually came here looking for organizing inspiration, as I'm doing the same thing, and my craft room looks worse than yours!!! Haha. I want it to be usable for Christmas gifts and crafty stuff and I'm so overwhelmed. I am going to keep searching for threads on organizing, I'll post back if I find any good ideas! I have the many-crafts problem, too. Paper crafts, collage bits and pieces, fabric, yarn, paints. It's insane. But you're getting a great start!
Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KimmyLynne82
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I enjoy being a dame.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011 10:55:12 AM »

That's a great start!

We moved to a new (bigger! yay!) house in May of 2010 and I actually have a room dedicated to get my craft on, but it's a wreck. It's also our office - which we don't use because we both have laptops...but that's another story Smiley There are currently no light fixtures in that room, so I just have a desk lamp (which drives me nuts...keep reading Smiley) Eventually I'd like to install some track lighting above my desk...maybe this year we'll get to that.

I started out simple - my desk is a bit smaller than I'd like, but it's sturdy and I've had it forever. I bought one of those over-the-sink shelves to attach to it - I nailed it down because I HATE things moving around on my desk. That shelf had a rod for holding a paper towel roll, so I (am going to) use that for ribbon/spools of trim for any current projects. There is also a small wire basket attached (for holding sponges and scrubbers at the sink), and I use that for any supplies that I'm currently using or will need for a project I'm working on. I also have my sewing machine's plug resting in it for easy access.

The spools I don't use often, etc will be hung from one of those multiple pants hanger (looks like a hanger but has like 4 or 5 bars across it that unlatch) - this will hang either in the nearby closet, or if I can find some type of bathroom shelf with built in towel rack it will hang from that. I'm trying to get away from having things actually sitting on my work surface - but I'm cheap (frugal!) and I'm picky Smiley

I have two storage carts next to my desk...one is a plastic Rubbermaid three-drawer tower; this has all kinds of stuff stashed in it. It's great for those seasonal projects that you might start in the summer, and either finish before that season rolls around, or never finish Smiley The other is a wooden stand with three wicker baskets. In this one I keep a lot of my scrapbooking/paper crafting supplies - markers, envelopes, papers, stamps, etc. Within those drawers, I use desk organizers and smaller baskets to keep things grouped together. My sewing machine sits on top of the wooden one when I'm not using it. (I'd like to get a dust cover/cozy for my sewing machine eventually.)

My desk sits against a wall, so I have three regular sized clip boards hanging from hooks. These are currently blank/empty, but I want to cover them with crafty looking papers/embellishments, then use them to hang things that have inspired my current work-in-progress: color schemes, quotes, clip art, etc.

My biggest problem is keeping things in sight. I've found that 1)if I can't see them or 2)I have to dig through piles/stacks I won't use anything - even if it's a brand new package. I'll get lazy/frustrated/tired of looking for something and move on to something else.

I also need to find a solution for storing/organizing my papers and embellishments while still being able to keep them in sight. In addition to the bathroom shelf with towel rack, I might see if I can find a cabinet type set up so I can put those paper bins there too...I want to have them sorted by color so I can see what I have available. I think I want to get some type of revolving rack that I can clip packets of embellishments to, so I can always get to them easily, and keep them gathered together. I might try to hang peg board above my desk as well, to keep my scissors, seam ripper, ruler, etc handy (and off my desk)Smiley

These are just some of my ideas...not sure if they'd help or not! I hope you post more pictures as you keep organizing - I love to be organized, but I suck at it!!

(And without hijacking your post, if any one has suggestions or ideas for any of the ideas I've mentioned, please reply here or PM me - I'm ALWAYS looking for ways to improve!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~Kim~*
wists~ Swap Ideas on Pinterest~Blog

I <3 Personal Swaps!
CraftyDiem
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011 03:50:32 PM »

Ooh Kim hijack away!  I'm probably the only one reading it anyways.  Smiley 

So first of all - I have a sad story to tell you.  I had a great friend come over a few weeks ago and help me whip that room into shape.  She is one of those people who is an amazing organizer and truly we did the whole room in a few hours.  Then on Monday our sewer backed up.  Now thankfully all of my fabric and yarn and books and such were saved so I can't be too upset - but right now everything is shoved towards the wall away from the bathroom wall and we have fans trying to dry the carpet.  I think it's all cleanable and we'll get there but I was so bummed yesterday to go down there looking for stuff and have to climb over and dig through.  Sad 

You have such great ideas!  I LOVE the thread/pants hanger idea!  Mine are in a plastic tub so you can see the top but not the color.  Also I have seen pegboard a number of times for free on Craigslist. 

I read a really good article about organizing your craft space that I cannot find now.  It was from Sew Daily newsletter and talked about being honest with yourself - I liked the way she said that she doesn't like to look for things, doesn't like to put things away in the midst of a project - but then she had some ideas around that.  If I find it again I'll pm you!

Also I cannot recommend enough Goodwill on their 1/2 price Saturday!  If you sign up on their website they will send you an email whenever they have a 1/2 price day and the storage stuff they have there can be so great - if you are creative!  (and of course if you pick up a little fabric/ribbon/etc while you're there...)

I saw someone who had all their quilt rulers hung up on a wall.  I only have a few but I really liked the idea - they were so handy!

Oh and google "sewing machine cover tutorial" and you will get a million fun ideas! 

I hope we BOTH get to our dream craft space!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Progress not perfection.

http://craftydiem.blogspot.com/
Saga Regna
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011 11:36:11 AM »

Colour is really important, they affect your mood and how you feel. Get rid of that pink you don't like and get one that makes you happy, motivated and like wanting to be in that room, would be my suggestion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Momma Loves Her Little Son Animation Video
Paige Toon Talks About Her Books
Paige Toon Reveals What Her Best Quality Is
Hush, Hush Book Trailer by Becca Fitzpatrick
Cassandra Clare at a Bryant Park Event in New York
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...