A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rainbow Happy Quilt  (Read 6229 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SkyyAngel
« on: November 19, 2010 07:36:40 PM »

So, long story quite short, I needed to "practice" making some quilts because I've been tasked to make some for my family out of my grandmother's clothes (she passed earlier this year) and with the strict fabric "allowance", I can't afford to be making huge mistakes that would have me tossing loads of these projects into the trash because it's not like I can go buy more fabric.

Killing two birds with one stone, I'm making a pair of quilts for my best friend and his sister as Christmas gifts. I'm *almost* finished with hers (just need to add the binding) but I couldn't wait to post it. I'm so proud and inordinately happy every time I even look at this quilt. I don't know if it's the colors or the love put into it or what but I just smile every time I see it.  Grin

She really loves rainbows so I did a google search to get an idea for rainbow quilts and came across this blog post. I had already planned on doing a disappearing nine-patch quilt as a starter because they seem so easy even though the effect is stunning and somewhat complicated looking. So with that, I ran to the store and bought me some fat quarters and got to work.

Since I'm making other Christmas gifts off and on (is there such thing as a serious diagnosis of crafting ADD? because I totally have it... oh look, a shiny! *wanders*) this has been about 3-4 weeks to make although probably only 3-4 days of actual work. I've made some mistakes, some I could fix and others I didn't bother, but my new sewing machine and I have become friends throughout the process and I'm slowly learning all of her little quirks and foibles. Overall, I'm very pleased with this quilt and like I said, can't help but smile every time I see it. My hands always want to reach out and pet it... but anyway, I hope she ends up loving it as much as I do. <3

Enough sentimental rambling though, here's the pics:

Btw, the cats LOVE this quilt...  Roll Eyes I can't keep them off it. So apologies for the camera hogs there.

And some artsy in-progress shots because all the colors are wonderful <3. I plan on printing and framing some of these to hang on my craft room wall they're so happy and delightful to me.

So there it is, my first quilt. <3

Things I learned:
* Dual-Feed Foot = a MUST HAVE... omg this thing was pricey but soooo totally worth it!
* proper pinning/basting is necessary, take your time and re-do if needed (the best tip I read was to pin backing to carpet, worked like a charm!.. even if my knees are still bruised Shocked)
* I need more practice with free motion quilting and/or a pair of quilting gloves, my fingers cramped up sooo much.
* I should take more time with ironing and paying attention to seam direction (it's not awful, I did do a decent job, but in the future, more patience could be a virtue)

Next up: Log cabins!

Thankies for looking! C&C welcome and appreciated. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010 07:42:27 PM »

Beautiful on both sides!
Fantastic work Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

twiterpert
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010 07:54:22 PM »

It looks wonderful! I love the freemotion rainbow border.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
bananabanana
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010 09:09:03 PM »

It is fantabulous. the black background looks snazzy too.
What is a dual feed foot?
 I am looking forward to the log cabins. Are they rainbow too?
And what's the plan for your grandma's clothes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SkyyAngel
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010 10:24:20 PM »

thanks everybody! Smiley

It is fantabulous. the black background looks snazzy too.
What is a dual feed foot?
 I am looking forward to the log cabins. Are they rainbow too?
And what's the plan for your grandma's clothes?

A dual-feed foot has little "feed dogs" on it itself so you have two things moving the fabric from the top and the bottom. It's also known as a walking foot I believe.

The log cabins will be purple, green and gray with black borders since his favorite colors are purple and green.

And the clothes will all be turned into quilts for the grandkids (there's 5 of us) + my mom wants one too. Her clothes were great but not exactly in a style or size that any of us could wear, so I offered to turn them all into lap quilts for everyone to snuggle with. I'm already done with the quilt top for my brother's quilt since his was basically just large squares (10") cut from all of her pants (black, black pinstripe, dark gray, ash gray, grey pinstripe) with a large UT Longhorn appliqued in the center at his request. My sister is getting an Ohio Star variation and a baby quilt in a Mexican Star pattern (hopefully I can pull these off, a little bit more intricate piecing than a simple 9-patch). My mom's is a kind've square blocked pattern, I dunno what it's called. My oldest cousin is getting a log cabin (kind've rainbow but not as bright as this one) and the youngest cousin, the rainbow color wheel quilt from the Last Minute Patchwork book. My quilt I haven't decided on yet but I'm thinking I'll be making a cathedral window quilt out of the "cozy cuddler" (like a snuggie but larger, better quality and not as cheap-looking) I gave her for Christmas last year.

Ideally, I'd like to finish before Christmas, at least with my mom's, brother's and sister's main quilt (the baby one can wait). Plus the log cabin for my BFF... *sigh* hope I can finish in time. It's going to take a lot of work!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010 10:26:26 PM by SkyyAngel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
BattleAxe
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010 10:48:03 PM »

Love your use of colour and the stippling is amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thenorm02
Crafty Mamma <3

didnt know my whole world would fit in to 8lbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010 11:13:10 PM »

1st quilt?! wowow you are awesome!! I love it!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ZumaGirl74
Rebel at home & abroad.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010 11:46:11 PM »

It's really pretty!  Good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010 05:38:25 AM »

zomg this rocks.  so happy colorful and awesome!  well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZippityZone
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010 05:39:05 AM »

Beautiful Quilt! I love the rainbow colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mom.Me Makeover: Angela
Best Drugstore Concealers
How to Apply Individual False Eyelashes
Creative Ways To Rock Some New Spring Beauty Trends
Why Do I Look So Terrible After A Night Of Bad Sleep?
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...