A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,646
Currently Running With Scissors:
762 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for personalizing a trench coat (a very colorful plead for help)  (Read 870 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mibismogger
« on: November 19, 2010 06:51:15 PM »

Okay so I have this trench coat

http://www.violentdelights.co.uk/items/jackets/spidertrench.html

And if you dont want to look at the link
Jacket Description:

*Floor Length
*Black, silver eyelet accents
*Corset laces on the sleeves, about 2 inches from the elbow to the wrist and on the back
*Some sort of stretchy denim like fabric
*Zips up the front, from about 5 inches below the waist to about 3 inches below the collarbone, no zipper pull
*Slight wear at the hem
*Eyelet design on the waist
I got it for my birthday a bit over a year ago, and much as I love it I think it needs a bit of a change. So far I've changed all the laces to have purple ribbon, and added some decorative red thread to the collar along with a patch that says "zombie" on the left elbow to cover a hole. I'm open to pretty much any suggestions and am willing to do pretty much anything to it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I already have a sewing machine and about a million colors of fabric, a few patches, all that's necessary for knitting, crocheting and embroydery, beads, clay, buttons, skies the limit I just need ideas

Thanks a million
<3 Lasha
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010 08:43:30 PM by Mibismogger » THIS ROCKS   Logged

As opposed to a revolver, I use a sharpened pencil to displace my brains. I gently squeeze the trigger and splatter the page with metaphor
tendstowardschaos
'Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.' - N. Bonaparte

Motivated by the desire to achieve.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010 05:43:32 AM »

Cute jacket!

Since you've already added some red stitching around the collar, maybe you could continue that around the hem and front. Another thing that's fun to do and will hide the wear at the hem, is to add another layer of fabric around the bottom, then embroider over that...you can cut off some of the excess fabric to expose the main fabric underneath. (This is kind of what I'm talking about: checker knight coat at the bottom of page.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Radmom
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010 06:03:04 AM »

The only thing I came up with was making some silk screen of a crest...but I really kind of like the coat the way it is. I would IMHO go light on the revamp for that coat.

Now, Inez....I personally loved those jackets, but they were taking very old coats and adding gibbous to them. My favorite was the Magpie, but on that one...I would have liked it a whole lot better without the silkscreen image.

I  know I was not much help at all, but I really like the Tripp coat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mibismogger
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010 01:08:05 PM »

I like the idea of adding more fabric to the bottom of the coat, theres no lining at the moment so a bit of red would be pretty neat looking. I also am adding more red thread along the zipper on both sides to go along with around the collar. I think the crest silk screen is a good idea but I have no clue how to silk screen or if I have the supplies needed. Also my family has never done anything signifigant in all of history, so to my knowledge we dont have a crest. Though I suppose I could show off my Slytherin Pride with this. Over one pocket I put a Cure patch that I took off a hoodie that I never wear and between the shoulder blades I added the logo from a Cradle of Filth shirt
Patches I still have:

An angel and a devil hugging http://www.amazon.com/Cradle-Filth-Morbid-Sordid-T-Shirt/dp/B0013BCB6Q along with the bit that says "morbid and sordid"
A patch with mushrooms on it (that I feel a tad bit awkward using as I'm completely phobic of hallucinogenics)
An anarchy patch (that A with a circle thing)
And a schoolyard heroes patch that has red lips with vampire teeth and says "you're so pretty and you're so dead" in blood

My roommate thinks I should embroyder a biohazard on there somewhere to go along with the zombie patch, and I'm debating adding a triangle of fabric to the sleeves to make them more bell like. What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As opposed to a revolver, I use a sharpened pencil to displace my brains. I gently squeeze the trigger and splatter the page with metaphor
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Charles R. Smith Jr. Reads a Poem by Langston Hughes
Annie Leonard Talks About The Story of Stuff
Sabrina Jeffries Talks About Let Sleeping Rogues Lie
Kathy Ireland on Real Solutions for Busy Moms Devotional
Erin Downing Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...