A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,013
Currently Running With Scissors:
349 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial - Winsome Windows - Fiber Mosaic  (Read 3297 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_mosaic , fiber_art , butterfly , dragonfly , ladybug , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Colorcrazed

Arts, Crafts, Handmade, and Open for Adventure

View Profile WWW
« on: November 19, 2010 11:56:57 AM »

Winsome Window is, a piece designed around what one might see from their window. It's in our nature to seek out views that please our senses and give us a feeling of contentment. We accomplish the same thing inside our homes with color, style and art choices.

To start, I always assemble some fabrics and spread them out like a painters palette.  If something doesn't fit, I'll toss it and throw in another choice. I won't necessarily use all these fabrics, but it gives me a place to start. I might even add to this palette array throughout the whole process. Sometimes these stacks can get pretty big. Smiley

I was very happy to find these small motifs in my fabric stash. They looked like little windows and had a nocturnal feel that would allow me to use lots of fun colors to create contrast. To add to that color fun, I switched from my usual black background fabric to this beautiful splash of wine.

There is no one place to start your mosaics. I'll start anywhere that draws me first, in one of the four corners, and sometimes in the middle, like this example. Since my windows were cool, darker shades without a strong light source, I decided that I would create a center light, giving the impressions that the whole work was gently kissed with soft light.

I like to mix up the size and shape of my mosaic cuts. You don't have to do it this way, you can use all the same size and shape, if you like. Whatever creates beauty in your eye, is what's right in your artwork. The color contrast between the wine and cyan, and between the yellow/gold and blues is what makes this piece cohesive and interesting. Each of these colors plays off the other. Not that most people will notice, but these little guys are having more fun than they should...

I know you probably think I'm a little crazy, but my art has a mind of it's own, and left to their own devices, some of these mosaic cuts might decide they would rather be in some other design. To prevent that from happening, I like to box them in, frame them so that they will understand that this is home. It works for me, and they don't complain too much.

I hope you've been inspired to make a mosaic of your own. The process is simple, as you've seen.

* Collect some fabric pieces
    * Apply a heat bonding element to the back ( I use Wonder Under)
    * Cut and arrange a few at a time and iron them into place. I use a very small tack iron until I'm finished, and then iron the whole piece with my regular iron to make sure it has a good bond.
    * If it helps, sketch a few guidelines on your background fabric with a light colored pencil. Be sure to cover the line with your mosaic pieces.
    * This piece measures 16 1/2 x 19 1/2 inches, but you can start much smaller.

COLORCRAZED  http://colorcrazedart.blogspot.com/search/label/Tut-Winsome%20Windows
Artist: Lynda Coker

Copyright Notice: All artwork is copyrighted. Do not reproduce, copy, print, or distribute without written permission.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010 04:45:11 PM by MareMare - Reason: to comply with Craftster rules » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Artist Lynda Coker
Come visit when you can. The coffee is always hot, the cinnamon rolls warm and buttery, and there is a chair just for you.
Blog: Colorcrazed - http://colorcrazedart.blogspot.com
Arts/Crafts/Handmade/ and adventure at every turn.
gavagai
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010 12:27:42 PM »

I like it a lot! It looks as if the little pieces have black outlines. Is that the red background you see like a line between them? Also, will you sew anything on it or only use the heat bonding? Anyway, I am intrigued by this! Very interesting!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Still wishing for a Tunisian crochet kit. Would be happy to personal swap for one. I have fabrics and all sorts of stuff to swap for.
Colorcrazed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010 12:36:11 PM »

The background fabric shows through and gives the outline effect, in this case the wine colored background fabric. For pieces like these I only heat bond as sewing would distort some of the very small pieces, I'm afraid. I frame them behind glass to protect them. Thank you for viewing my work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Artist Lynda Coker
Come visit when you can. The coffee is always hot, the cinnamon rolls warm and buttery, and there is a chair just for you.
teachart
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010 12:45:45 PM »

This is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing your work and your process. It's very inspiring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
woobie
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010 01:33:37 PM »

that is so beautiful.. like stained glass.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AGFH
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010 02:06:34 PM »

My mind boggles at the work this took to complete. Absolutely stunning.
I am going to keep this one in mind for a future project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was off to save the world....until I was distracted by something shiny.
zaluly
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010 02:23:01 PM »

just lovely, and I also thank you for sharing how you made it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
daydreamcatcher
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010 03:01:13 PM »

BEAUTIFUL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Colorcrazed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010 03:35:36 PM »

Thanks everyone, and I do hope some of you will try one of your own. It's not hard, but it does take some time and you have to sit still for a lot of hours. Smiley This is also a great technique for kids. Some bigger pieces and simpler design would be needed, but very doable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Artist Lynda Coker
gavagai
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010 04:05:17 AM »

It must be hard work to cut all the pieces so they fit. It all looks so even with the outlines around every piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Still wishing for a Tunisian crochet kit. Would be happy to personal swap for one. I have fabrics and all sorts of stuff to swap for.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5-Minute Fudge Wreath
Heather Bertinelli’s Peanut Brittle
Heather Bertinelli’s Dark Chocolate Truffles
How to Make Peach Cobbler in a Dutch Oven
Chocolate Chip Calzone Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...