A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,721
Currently Running With Scissors:
774 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: lentil soup with a surprise and pictures!!!!  (Read 1279 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , soup , lentil  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pazuzuspetals

I look like VENUS...........of willendorf

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2010 11:14:06 PM »

I know...I know.....ANOTHER lentil soup recipe.
Like bellybuttons, everybody's got one (or at least I hope you have a bellybutton..they make handy storage for the occasional stray marshmellow)

But I found an AWESOME little trick that makes lentil soup easy and delicious.
If you have a favorite soup recipe (especially a vegetable, bean, or split pea/lentil soup) this would probably work really well with it.

But let's get to it....drumroll please.....TA DAAA!!!

It's cooked greens!! Turnip greens, or collards or mixed greens!!!
I cooked canned greens one night and had some leftover, the next day I made lentil soup and was cleaning out the fridge and figured "why not?" and wow..wowee wow wow! was it good!
My husband DEMOLISHED it. Usually when I make soup I have to put some up in the freezer because everyone gets tired of it after 2 days. Then I told my mom about this and she loved it! Now neither one of us can make lentil soup without collards/greens.

I've found a brand that makes really good canned greens, I've covered up their name because I don't want to get in trouble but if you are the lucky soul that knows someone who goes through the laborious process of making homemade greens, give them a kiss, promise them some of your blood and whatever you don't manage to eat, reserve some for your soup.

another great tip......I love using bacon to flavor things or add a little on top but I don't want the whole package to go bad when I only need a little bit here and there, so when I buy it I put it in the freezer and then chop up one half of it into small pieces.

3-4 tablespoons of chopped bacon
1 cup of chopped onion
1 cup of chopped celery
2 cups of lentils, rinsed and picked through
29 oz can of collard/turnip/mixed greens WITH liquid
2 cups of chicken stock, plus however much water needed to cover lentils
salt and pepper to taste

The measurements of the bacon, onion, celery are just rough approximations, I used a smallish onion and 4-5 stalks of celery, if you want more please do so.
I meant to add carrots but I forgot to pick some up at the store. You can use whatever stock you like but I think chicken stock just tastes better with this.

I throw a few tablespoons of the frozen bacon into my stock pot and THEN turn the burner on to med high. When it starts to warm up and render fat then I know it's time to add my onion and celery. Let your onions and celery sweat a little in the bacony goodness.
Rinse and pick through your lentils and add them. Add your collards/greens (with juice)  and then add chicken stock/water to cover.
Bring to a boil, then cut the heat down, cover and simmer for at least 20 minutes until your lentils are cooked.
I usually add salt and pepper at the end because the bacon/chicken stock is salty enough.
I served mine with toasted pumpernickle bread.
Again, we didn't have enough to put up in the freezer but my mom says it freezes well.

I hope I didn't talk you guys to death but if you have any questions or comments let me know.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010 11:19:40 PM by pazuzuspetals » THIS ROCKS   Logged

a hummingbird once pooped on my cat out of pure spite, I swear.
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010 11:34:57 PM »

This sounds good! Could you please share the brand of greens? I don't see any reason to hide it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
pazuzuspetals

I look like VENUS...........of willendorf

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010 12:03:50 AM »

Absolutely! I read the rules but I didn't see anything about putting the brand on here but I wasn't sure if it was  a no-no or not.
Margaret Holmes (the one I used) makes collard/turnip and mustard greens that are really good and there is another brand called Glory that makes some good ones too.
I live in the South and they are in the canned vegetable aisle in the grocery store but I'm not sure if they are regional or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a hummingbird once pooped on my cat out of pure spite, I swear.
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010 01:33:43 AM »

Thanks so much Grin I live in the NW, so I'll look real hard to see if I can find some! I usually just throw handfuls of fresh spinach into my soups and casseroles, it would be nice to mix it up for a change!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a ‘Breakfast Club Sandwich’
Jalapeno-Cheddar Corn Bread Recipe for the Super Bowl
The Potato Express: Does It Work?!
How to Make a Cheese Soufflé with Bacon-Arugula Salad
KD101: Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...