A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,856
Currently Running With Scissors:
753 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies!!!  (Read 26748 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , chocolate , cookie , bacon , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teachart
« on: November 18, 2010 05:02:37 PM »

We've been having quite the conversation about strange snacks on the International Snack Swap discussion board. Someone mentioned chocolate covered bacon, and I mentioned that I've made bacon chocolate chip cookies before and they were pretty delicious. So I whipped up a batch today so I could take some pics and share the recipe! (and of course eat some tasty cookies!)
You'll need:
7 strips bacon, cooked really crispy, dried on paper towel (SAVE BACON GREASE!!)
1 cup, plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 stick butter softened
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cups chocolate chips
optional: chopped nuts

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Chop up your crispy bacon finely.
-Mix together flour and baking soda
-Cream together butter and sugars in a large bowl. Add egg and vanilla extract, and beat until just blended. Add the dry ingredients; beat until just incorporated. Be careful not to over beat!  Stir in the chocolate chips, bacon, and optional nuts.  Your dough will be pretty, it will look like this:

-Drop one large tablespoon cookie dough 2 to 3 inches apart  on un-greased baking sheet.

-Shut that oven door, they're not done yet. I know they smell good, but you'll just have to wait.

-Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, they'll be golden brown around the edges, and a bit soft in the center. Transfer to  rack and cool for 15 minutes.

-Give one to your toddler. The quick expression change from excitement to confusion is priceless!

-Store them in a container on your counter for a couple of days, and if there is any left after that put them in the fridge.

Enjoy!

And that bacon grease that I told you to save- Have a movie night and pop your popcorn in it!!! FANTASTIC!!!!!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2010 05:22:23 PM by teachart » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sum1smuma
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010 05:27:52 PM »

These sound strangely like heaven with chance of heart attack! I will have to try your recipe for sure. mmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
Mandyhello

Cook-Eat-Stitch-Game- in that order :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010 06:06:24 PM »

hahahaha!  so legit Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010 08:43:26 PM »

Bacon in a cookie? This is something new to me.  I am in a baking mood for the past few weeks.  I will definitely add this to my list of goodies to bake.  Thanks for the step by step instructions.  The pictures are helpful, too.    
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010 08:46:38 PM by CraftyLittleLady » THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010 01:44:42 AM »

oh man...I am so hungry even without looking at your recipe and pictures...now I am starving!! they are first on my list to bake once I get back into the kitchen

and your toddler=precious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PearlyWhirly
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010 06:36:46 AM »

wow i know this has nothing to do with the reciepe.
but wow how clean is your oven? i'll so pay for you to come over and clean mine!!
you crazy americans with your bacon and sweet things has always confused me. like bacon and pancakes and maple syrup. i just dont understand =p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010 06:58:57 AM »

They look delicious!

It involves bacon so it has to be delicious! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VikingBabe
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010 10:46:06 PM »

Bacon Chocolate Chip cookies are a favorite of mine!  I candy the bacon before I make them - just bake on a cooling rack in the oven, sprinkled with brown sugar until golden and crisp, then cool, chop, etc.

Also, here it what is nasty:  Turkey Bacon Chocolate Chip cookies.  NAS.  T.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010 06:47:21 AM »

PearlyWhirly  I used to think exactly the same thing. Until I tasted pancakes with bacon and maple syrup. Trust me as someone who has grown up eating much the same stuff as you...suspend disbelief and try it..it is incredible and actually much better with the thicker bacon we get on this side of the globe. You need pancakes rather than crepes, put butter on them and then the rest

*drool*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010 07:17:37 AM »

hey..you are fridays featured fooodie post..I suspected that you might...*yay*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teachart
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010 07:47:57 AM »

I'll have to try candied bacon VikingBabe! Sounds great! and Turkey bacon- no way! That stuff is nasty on its own!!

Other note to those who venture into making bacon chocolate chip cookies:
I've also tried substituting some of the bacon grease for butter. I didn't like this result- I really think the cookies need to be sweet with just a bite of savory bacon every now and then.

And thanks for the heads up on being foodie friday's post edelC- awesome!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010 09:23:52 AM »

Oh, Teachart, these look amazing!  I'm going to have to try them.  Yummmm!  Thanks for sharing!!

VikingBabe, you earn huge points from my husband and me for the candied bacon recipe!  How long do you cook the bacon in the oven, and at what temp usually?  I had bacon creme brulee at a local restaurant this year, and it was amazing!  It was topped with candied bacon, and there were little chunks of candied bacon in the custard itself -- pure heaven!  It was really thick, lean bacon and it was awesome once candied.  I've wondered about how to make candied bacon since then.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SAHMama
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010 01:00:21 PM »

I'll be trying these soon! I will probably make some for my brother for Christmas too. He's also a big bacon fan Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VikingBabe
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010 02:36:24 PM »

VikingBabe, you earn huge points from my husband and me for the candied bacon recipe!  How long do you cook the bacon in the oven, and at what temp usually?  I had bacon creme brulee at a local restaurant this year, and it was amazing!  It was topped with candied bacon, and there were little chunks of candied bacon in the custard itself -- pure heaven!  It was really thick, lean bacon and it was awesome once candied.  I've wondered about how to make candied bacon since then.

My TV boyfriend, Alton Brown gets all the credit for the candied bacon recipe. I just leave the pecans off the bacon.   http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/praline-bacon-recipe/index.html.
Let me add one instruction:
DO NOT LEAVE YOUR KITCHEN.  This can get very ugly, very fast.  So plan on being right there, ready to rescue your oven from, fire, smoke, etc.  Do NOT do anything else while you are candying bacon.  Trust me.

This recipe would stand up to the custard of a creme brulee.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tanza
Angel in the making....

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010 04:54:56 PM »

wow these look interesting to say the least.
I don't think I am quiet brave enough to try them just yet.

still getting funny looks when I have bacon with my pancakes n maple syrup.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
Pintrest

Life is a terminal disease, NO one gets out alive.....The idea is to enjoy it while you can.

Aquarian Spiritual church
whatthepuck
I touched the Stanley Cup!!!!

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010 12:58:32 PM »

I need to make these for Mr. Bean.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010 01:56:20 PM »

So yummy, so yummy!  Thank you SO much for sharing your full recipe!  http://www.craftster.org/blog/foodie-friday-chocolate-chip-bacon-cookies/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happier than a unicorn eating cake on a rainbow.
teachart
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010 04:23:44 PM »

wow i know this has nothing to do with the reciepe.
but wow how clean is your oven? i'll so pay for you to come over and clean mine!!
you crazy americans with your bacon and sweet things has always confused me. like bacon and pancakes and maple syrup. i just dont understand =p

OK PearlyWhirly.... and beans and toast are good?! I'll take my bacon and pancakes and maple syrup any day Cheesy

I hope some of you have made these cookies! I'd love to hear your results. Some friends came over last night and tried them- skeptical at first but once they bit into one they were hooked! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AnnieBowser
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010 06:43:40 PM »

Just a quick question: what kind of measurement is your stick of butter?  I mean, do you have an equilivilant or approximation in Cups, perhaps?  I am teh dum when it comes to conversion.
But I need to make these cookies - I've never encountered anything that bacon hasn't improved, so . . . .
Im so in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PancakeBatter
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2010 11:16:38 PM »

These look ah-maze-ing! I am seriously making these for Christmas presents.

Om nom nom, bacon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teachart
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010 05:41:24 AM »

Just a quick question: what kind of measurement is your stick of butter?  I mean, do you have an equilivilant or approximation in Cups, perhaps?  I am teh dum when it comes to conversion.
But I need to make these cookies - I've never encountered anything that bacon hasn't improved, so . . . .
Im so in!

A stick of butter is a half a cup, or 8 tablespoons.
I hope you like the cookies!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010 08:42:10 AM »

OK PearlyWhirly.... and beans and toast are good?! I'll take my bacon and pancakes and maple syrup any day Cheesy

beans and toast are actually awesome! but they have to be proper tinned baked beans in tomato sauce..and you have to lavishly butter the toast (with salted butter!)..I found when I was in the US, that your butter isnt a salty as we like it here in ireland (and to a slightly lesser extent the UK) but it is another example of the salt and sweet combo..divine!..

having said that, I have been off sugar and carbs completely for 9 of the last 10 weeks, and for the one week break when I could eat sugar and carbs, i did have baked beans..but I found them disgustingly sweet..i am going to have to make my own...I am going to have to find a whole new way of cooking once I get off this plan, low carb, sugar substitutes..etc... its worth it..I have lost 35lbs in 10 weeks..which has nothing to do with the thread..I am just bragging!... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010 09:18:21 AM »

I am so glad I thouroughly read your post & didn't just assume I could simply add some crispy bacon to my regular cookie dough, because saving the bacon grease to make popcorn is genius! I have a 'whirley pop' popcorn popper & just know that the bacon grease is going to work great in it! Thank you!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
teachart
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2010 09:39:49 AM »

I make my popcorn in a whirley popper too! The bacon grease works great in it.

Congrats on your success edelC! I had beans and toast while in the UK, I'm not ragging on them, but they in no way can be compared to the deliciousness of syrup, bacon, and pancakes! I think we all can agree that sweet and salty in a great taste combo, no matter how that combo is made  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010 12:10:08 PM »

teachart..of course you are right, beans and toast, no matter how much of a comfort food are nothing like bacon pancakes and syrup....*drool*

I seem to have been doing a lot of drooling over this post..mind you I have stopped short of licking the screen...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cat2007
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010 06:14:10 AM »

as to the bacon grease usage, why not make bacon flavored vodka?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teachart
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010 06:45:28 AM »

as to the bacon grease usage, why not make bacon flavored vodka?

I had no idea this was even possible to do....
Do you drink bacon vodka or just use it in cooking? I'm intrigued, tell us more!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Brookie5686
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2010 09:03:16 AM »

Made these today!  Well haven't baked them off just yet.  Making them for my boyfriend cause when he heard about these he nearly died.  However, I added maple extract instead of vanilla and butterscotch chips instead of chocolate since he prefers butterscotch to chocolate.  I tasted the dough and it was AMAZING!!!! This coming from a person who DOES NOT like bacon.  Thanks for the recipe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thanks for inspiring me!

~~~~~~~~~Current Swaps~~~~~~~~~~~
Random Swap Round 3 - Waiting for Partners
Brookie5686
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2010 10:10:56 AM »

Just ate one of the cookies I made and YUM!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thanks for inspiring me!

~~~~~~~~~Current Swaps~~~~~~~~~~~
Random Swap Round 3 - Waiting for Partners
teachart
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2010 02:47:33 PM »

I'm glad you liked them Brookie5686! And thanks for the tip to try maple extract- that sounds great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
binkyrmt

Don't worry, it's just a plastic boob.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2010 08:04:52 PM »

I made these for my friends for Thanksgiving, but I used less bacon because I bought the thick cut kind and once i had it all chopped up it seemed like it was going to be way too much.  Well, my friends thought they were yummy, but everyone said the same thing: next time, MO' BACON!  lol  I guess I should learn to follow instructions.  Thanks for the recipe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brielauren
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2010 03:53:06 AM »

i am totally making these in the morning! id make them now but well, its ten to 4, am that is. thanks so much for the recipe yum yum yum.

Made these today!  Well haven't baked them off just yet.  Making them for my boyfriend cause when he heard about these he nearly died.  However, I added maple extract instead of vanilla and butterscotch chips instead of chocolate since he prefers butterscotch to chocolate.  I tasted the dough and it was AMAZING!!!! This coming from a person who DOES NOT like bacon.  Thanks for the recipe.

now you have me thinking about breakfast muffins made with mayple extract or syrup and bacon! yum
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to make a quilt from squares from other craftsters. want to send a square? lets swap!

i also would love to swap for handspun yarn!!!!!!!

Scarf Swap ~ Crafting
Spell My Name Swap ~ sent

http://wists.com/brielauren
felix-xx
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2010 07:37:25 PM »

Just made a batch of these with my boyfriend (who, after hearing about them, pestered me every day for almost a week to make them.)
Turned out AMAZING. The cookies were nice and soft and the bacon inside is a nice little surprise! I will definitely make more of them in the future.

Also, besides the point of the bacon, until this time I have never successfully been able to make chocolate chip cookies that have this texture. Mine ALWAYS turn out being one big flat cookie. The recipe, even without the bacon, is absolutely perfect!

Thanks for sharing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want so badly to believe that there is truth and love is real.
teachart
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010 04:58:36 AM »

You're so welcome felix-xx! I'm so glad they were a hit at your house! I warned everyone that these cookies were addicting!

Tip- if your cookies turn out flat try putting your dough in the fridge for a little while before you make the cookies. Sometimes the butter gets a little too soft which makes the cookies spread out on the pan. I put all my cookie doughs in the fridge before making them and in between batches too.

And thanks everyone who wrote and said they tried them and liked them, the feedback was nice to hear!
Happy baking!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010 06:32:27 AM by teachart » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Disco Queen Highness
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010 07:00:12 AM »

I've got to drop the kids off to school, then I'm making these cookies.  You've peaked my interest.  My husband will go crazy for them and it may just freak out my MIL, who's staying with us for a month over the holidays.  Can't wait!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd love to do a personal swap for this knit Death Flake hat

Wists
Etsy
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2010 06:00:34 PM »

I made them! The family reaction was as follows: hubby didn't like them, I thought they were pretty good...and like the smoky taste to them...the kids were thrilled because we made cookies! The real test will be to give some to my bacon crazed father in law! I'll update again after that happens.  Smiley Thank you so much for the idea/inspiration! I love to try new foods!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
KnitCrochetSewRepeat

Not swearing at the machine? Not doing it right.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2010 10:10:04 PM »

oh my god. you are a genius and i love you.
i am so making these for christmas day. we always have a TON of friends over and they all love bacon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SMLounsbury
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2010 07:43:19 AM »

I have a batch in the oven right now.   Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissKerouac
I'm a bum, but not the cool Dharma kind.

only dead fish swim with the stream

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2010 07:25:46 PM »

So my plan was to make a bath just to see how they taste, then my husband heard and wanted me to make some for his office, then I was telling some people at my work, now I am bringing a few there, then I metiojed something to my brother in law and now thy are part of my Xmas baking this year. So I just finished making 6 dozen and I have to say they are flipping delicious! I did use margarine instead of butter but they still turned out heavenly!! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe that I will only be able to make once a year so I don't get fatter Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you were happy every day of your life you wouldn't be a human being, you'd be a talk show host." -Heathers-
teachart
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2010 08:21:17 AM »

I'm thrilled so many are trying these and happy that people like them! I know what you mean MissKerouac- once the word is out on these cookies you'll be baking them for everyone!
They do make great gifts! I've given several dozen away to happy recipients!
Happy Holidays all  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KnitCrochetSewRepeat

Not swearing at the machine? Not doing it right.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2011 10:47:01 PM »

I made these with maple bacon for NYE and they were a  hit, I just got one request MORE BACON!! LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sum1smuma
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2011 02:14:54 PM »

I finally made these and they were so yummy! If you are wondering about making these..... trust me, you should. I can see more bacon being a request. Bacon makes everything better!

Thanks for this recipe. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2011 05:17:18 PM »

Congrats!!

You're a Craftster Best of 2010 Winner!

Craftster Best of 2010 Winner

Feel free to use this badge as your avatar!
If you'd like to use it as a badge on your personal website or blog, you can grab the full code at the bottom of this page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happier than a unicorn eating cake on a rainbow.
mosli
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2011 07:21:16 PM »

I scoured the interwebs for a bacon-cookie recipe and yours sound and looks by far the best! I'm making at least a double batch of these to send out for father's day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mosli: Etsy Shop
http://www.etsy.com/shop/mosli
Custom telescope bags, wearables, and inspired items
teachart
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2011 07:49:24 AM »

Enjoy mosli! I hope they are a hit! (Although I haven't met anyone that they're not a hit with yet Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mosli
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2011 07:41:51 PM »

thank you! I used maple bacon and actually ended up making a triple batch - they're really good! The gifts go in the mail tomorrow, but I made so many that in the meantime I'm going to give them to the guys at work and not tell them what's in them. Monday should be interesting around the office...  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mosli: Etsy Shop
http://www.etsy.com/shop/mosli
Custom telescope bags, wearables, and inspired items
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Gai Yang
How to Cook Miso Glazed Barbecued Duck
How to Prepare Barbecued Asian Pork Sandwich
How to Cook a Tomato Rasam
How to Cook Barbecued Thai Pork Satay
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...