A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,089
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making christmas stockings  (Read 1004 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmbiguousArtist
« on: November 17, 2010 02:23:34 PM »

Hey I'm going to make Christmas stockings for my boyfriend, his son and I. I haven't sewn in so long, I'm going to do it by hand because my mother gave away her sewing machine (crazy lady).
My inspiration is the one on the far right without the bells.

From http://www.marthastewart.com/article/jingle-bell-stockings

They've used felt and I'm wondering if it is a specific type of felt, I've personally never used felt before. I noticed in the comments somebody had issues with using hole punches on the felt.
How would you create the large scallops without scallop scissors? I'm thinking of just drawing them on with the grid.
I'm also I little confused by the cuff instructions, possibly just the way its been worded and how I'd imagine doing it myself, I'm such a novice.

If there is any tips or help you can give me I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010 04:43:56 AM »

the large scallop isn't cut with a shaped scissor. Trace around a circle of the size you like onto a piece of paper and make a template for yourself to trace.

She is probably using wool felt b/c MS never skrimps on quality. That probably punches better than the eco felt which is cheaper, which most people like using.

To sew the cuff on you're basically making up the stocking part and making up the cuff seperately then tucking the cuff inside the stocking with the top edges lining up so you can sew it around then turn it down and the seam allowance doesn't show. I hope that is more clear.

If you want to do the design but not punch it, you could always do some glue on rhinestones. Silver or white would be pretty...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
almo99
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010 03:30:28 PM »

Good for you!  Sounds like a cool project.  I took a look at your blog too and you have some nice stuff.  I am sure with the talent you already have, the stockings will come out just fine.  

Felt can be tricky, especially if your tools are not sharp or in good shape.  I once tried making Victorian cornucopias out of felt and it was a disaster.  Use good felt, not the dollar store stuff.  

Good Luck!

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010 10:35:38 PM by Aislynn - Reason: Edited to remove off topic link. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
blackbird5685

chicka pah, ah, chicka-chicka pah ahhhh

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010 09:41:41 AM »

These are really cute!

I'm wondering where you would get pieces of felt big enough to accommodate? I usually only see the 8x11 stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

take these sunken eyes and learn to see
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010 11:06:06 AM »

Any JoAnn craft store will have the wide goods felt in both wool and the recycled water bottle polyester.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
AmbiguousArtist
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010 08:59:01 PM »

Hey thanks for all the help.
I've put this project on hold but I'll hopefully do it for next christmas. I'm super busy and still need to make something for my guy for valentines day lol (I like to make sure I have enough time).

I have found my local craft store sells wool felt blends but finding 100% wool felt here seems pretty much impossible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Job Writing Reviews
How to Get Your Work Published
How to Write a Haiku
John Kenney Talks About Truth in Advertising
Paul Yoon on the Inspiration for Snow Hunters
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...