A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 301,486
Currently Running With Scissors:
413 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thrifted tartan pinafore  (Read 5826 times)
Tags for this thread: pinafore , tartan  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SecondFiddle

Crafting, thrifting & living the second-hand life

View Profile WWW
« on: November 17, 2010 09:35:19 AM »

I bought the fabric for this dress from a car boot sale for 1.50, I still have enough left to make a second matching dress!

This was my first proper attempt at making clothes from a pattern and on the whole I'm pleased with it.  I lined the bodice with vintage satin from my stash and already had the zip so all in all it was a cheap project!  I think if I were to do it again I'd change the neckline, it's quite high and makes me feel a bit frumpy.  It also gapes a bit at the front (clearly my boobs are too small for Simplicity patterns!) so I want to unpick the front neckline and turn it into a v-neck instead.

Here's the pattern:

And here's my dress:

Unfortunately I don't have a decent photo of me wearing it, I'll have to remember next time I'm out and about!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TeenageRebelOfTheWeek
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010 09:40:42 AM »

I love it!! That tartan is to die for, let me tell you!! Cheesy I really want to try out this pattern - is it fairly easy to use? -x-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That's all there is and there ain't no more....
I craft, therefore I am.

My band: www.lechatnoir.org.uk
My work: www.outerlimitz.net
dustbunnyodoom

Too many hobbies, too little time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010 10:10:18 AM »

Fantastic job matching up the plaid!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010 10:15:32 AM »

Nice dress! It's a pretty plaid, and you did a good job. If you'd like, here's a tip on the neckline... It probably stretched when sewing. Take it apart, and machine baste with a long stitch all around. ease in the excess. Do the lining too. try it on , adjust. Sew it back together. If your'e going to change the neckline, go for it. But overlay a modified pattern on the fabric, to get it even. baste as I said.
  I hope you don't mind my tips.... It's an easy fix! Try dropping the curve 2 or 3 inches. Or, since it's a jumper, be dramatic!
  I hope you post an after-shot! With You in it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

najaorama
Tutorial Contributor

My kung fu is strong today!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010 10:43:12 AM »

So pretty.

Dumb American question: Whats a car boot sale?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Go to your bosom, knock there, and see what your heart doth know." WS Measure for Measure

www.najadruva.com
Sarcastra
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010 01:16:03 PM »

So pretty.

Dumb American question: Whats a car boot sale?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+a+car+boot+sale
(being funny)

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_boot_sale

Wish there were more/any in America!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010 02:49:40 PM »

I looove this pattern and the fabric you used! Awesome job! If I can make a suggestion though, carefully press your seams and darts (it looks like they're not pressed but it may be the fabric), it'll look smoother and neater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010 03:25:05 PM »

looks great, you did a good job, N30Nb100d had a good tip, when pressing to get an even smoother result, use a damp cloth over the place you are pressing (test it on a scrap of fabric first, especially if the fabric is not prewashed)

but really well done, its not an easy pattern to start with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SecondFiddle

Crafting, thrifting & living the second-hand life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010 04:10:55 AM »

Thanks for all the helpful tips guys!  I don't mind tips at all, I'll never get better if I don't listen to people who know what they're doing!

N30Nb100d - I pressed the seams as I was going along but they didn't hold very well, I guess because it's wool material?  Is there a clever way to get around this for future?  I really like wool and tweed fabric so I'm sure I'll be using it again sometime!

KLKing - thanks for the tips on the neckline!  I'll definitely keep them in mind when I redo it, can't wait to post an 'after' photo now, though it'll probably be in the new year with all the crafting for Christmas I have planned!

najaorama - not a dumb question at all!  I can't count the number of times I've had to google things that American folks have said!  It's basically like a yard sale in the US, but out of your car and all in one area (rather than in front of your house) - like a cinema car park or a school.  You have a table in front of your car and sell things from it, often they're for charity (so you pay to bring your car and sell your stuff) or just run by the council etc.

dustbunnyodoom - COMPLETE fluke!!  I didn't even think to match it until I finished and looked at it and though, "Oh goodness, I'm so glad that came out right!"

TeenageRebelOfTheWeek - I found it pretty simple, there's lots of help online as well because it's a pretty popular pattern I think!  Definitely give it a shot!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010 09:44:38 AM »

Here in the USA we call those "SWAP MEETS", you rent a spot for the day, and everyone brings stuff in thier cars, sets them up on tables. Like at a drive-in movie lot. Although there aren't many of those left. it could be the fairgrounds, a school lot, or someplace. Usually on the weekends.
Only now adays, there are more commercial sellers than private ones.
Until I read the link, I thought the goods were literally in the trunk of the car!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macromedia Flash 8 - Navigating the Stage Area
Macromedia Flash 8 - Introduction to Flash: Fundamentals
Macromedia Flash 8 - Using the Publish Preview Command
Macromedia Flash 8 - Adding Behaviors to Buttons
Macromedia Flash 8 - Adding and Labeling Action Keyframes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects
January 21st is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...