A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
843 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Very Kitschy Christmas - PLANNING  (Read 2249 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 17, 2010 07:52:54 AM »

For the last 3 years, I've had themed Christmas dinner parties (Classy, Creepy, Glam) and this year it's A Very Kitschy Christmas, in the spirit of Christmas from the 40's, 50's, and 60's. I try to decorate in my theme of choice, make an alcoholic drink that matches the theme, and dress somewhat appropriately too. The food is a potluck, so it doesn't go by the theme (I'm making lasagna and soup for my portion). I said in the invite that Christmas sweaters are encouraged.

So far, I have only vague ideas of decor and no drink ideas. I picked up 3 super-kitsch Christmas magazines at a White Elephant Sale (Tin Can Ornaments, Draping the Nativity, and another general one with a googly eyed Santa on the cover), and I'd like to incorporate them somehow, but I'm not sure how. I'd also like to make a centrepiece with some kitschy materials (perhaps tin cans, tinsel, pipe cleaners, googly eyes, or other delightful bits and pieces)... suggestions very welcome! I'm thinking for colours of going with really traditional red/green/gold, though I'm not sure what my table settings will look like.

Does anyone have any suggestions for decor, table settings, or an appropriate alcoholic drink of the evening?

*Special thanks to my graphic designing sister (http://heatherpeterportfolio.blogspot.com)for the poster. *
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010 08:36:36 AM »

definitely martinis!  Get some cool stirrers for the glasses and make appletinis, regular martinis, etc.  There are so many variations for everyone's taste...but martini's were big in the 50's... Cheesy

red and green are perfect as well for colors (limey green...)...do you have an aluminum tree?

This sounds like a fun party to craft for!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kstaron
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010 08:37:45 AM »

how about a peppermint martini, some retro decorations and vintage looking christmas cards?
a few sites for inspiration
http://www.retroplanet.com/CTGY/Christmas_Decor - lots of vintage style decor
http://www.retro-housewife.com/retro-christmas-cards.html - vintage looking cards
apron that looks like a christmas ornament
I googled images retro christmas and got lots of interesting pictures of patterns for giftwrap and table cloths, images that could be used for place cards and such.

sound like fun. good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melissa!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010 09:44:46 AM »

I threw a Merry Kitschmas party last year and the best thing ever is the book called "Merry Kitschmas" I got my copy for $1 at Borders, and I imagine you can find one somewhere. It's fantastically filled with ideas. I don't have it with me right now but you should do a jello cocktail... it's like a jello shot-ish thing molded on top and made in a cocktail glass.... so funny and kitschy. I'm going home over the weekend and can give you more ideas but making a wreath out of donut holes or twinkies (idk how to spell those) and styling your hair into a christmas tree shape are both awesome ideas. Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I hope we're still friends after I taser you." VM

http://www.wists.com/melishka
psyche

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010 11:40:26 AM »

Martinis, of course. I even have a few silver shakers that will be ideal. I might even do something like a martini bar, and put out drink recipes for a few kitschy/Christmas-y martinis. The peppermint martini sounds like a good one.

No aluminum tree, alas. I'm going to hit the dollar store and see what kitsch I can come up with though. I do have a small-ish tree (maybe 3 feet tall) that is usually my dinner party theme tree.

I had googled "kitschy Christmas", but I totally forgot that "retro" would fit my ideas too. I'll dig into that, thanks.

And... I just ordered Merry Kitschmas from my library (it's available!) *delight*. Who knew there was actually a book on it!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

merricat17
Strange Grounds

Strange Grounds Coffee, 1417 S Broadway, Denver CO

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010 12:02:22 PM »

i saw pink xmas trees on sale this week.  that's about as 50's as it gets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strange Grounds Coffee
1417 South Broadway
Denver, CO 80210
melissa!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010 12:07:32 PM »

Yeah... we had a 4ft pink sparkly tree at our party. It was $5 after x-mas sale at Big Lots, but I know they do sell them fairly cheap before hand too... Cheesy You're going to have so much fun. I should post pics of our party for inspiration if I find time over Thanksgiving break. I'll let you know. Cheesy

Oh my goodness and go to Goodwill! They have some of the best kitsch ever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I hope we're still friends after I taser you." VM

http://www.wists.com/melishka
Ashleycheri
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010 09:15:56 PM »

totally great ideas here.. http://search.bhg.com/search/s?q=felt
there are felt ornaments, decorations, etc. and felt is so cheap..Joanns is having a 50% off felts sale in december too! nothing is more retro than felt!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psyche

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010 12:10:06 PM »

I definitely picked up some amazing decorations at a White Elephant table at a church Christmas bazaar over the weekend. I think they were crafted and then donated by some old lady when they got even too kitschy for her! I also picked up Merry Kitschmas from the library. A lot of good ideas, although I think sometimes they think kitschy = tacky, which isn't totally the case. They suggested a Christmas tree of meatballs, and I think I'm going to use that idea but with Timbits! (for non-Canadian Tim Horton's goers, Timbits are... donut holes?)

Felt, yes. I'm totally into it right now, too. I actually made a couple of projects with felt for the Mini 12 days of Christmas! Alas, no Joann's here in Canada (though felt is a pretty good deal anyway). And I will check out that BHG link further!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psyche

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010 07:58:18 PM »

Just posted the completed party in a separate thread! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=367650.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 6/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 3/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 7/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 5/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 28/29
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...