A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,271
Currently Running With Scissors:
397 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: purple stretch denim skirt  (Read 1530 times)
Tags for this thread: skirt , denim , pocket , buttonhole , placket , waistband , button_down , button , stretch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

adventure on the sewin' seas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 16, 2010 10:48:46 PM »

Lately Iíve felt that thereís a gap in my wardrobe: a durable skirt that works for biking as well as out-and-about, something durable with scissor-sized pockets for work, and in a versatile color and fabric for year-round wear. Iím really happy with the design of this skirt, which I feel is vaguely utili-kilt-y, but in a good way.

I used a grayish-lavender stretch denim twill from Fabric Planet. As is my habit when working with denim, I used the ďwrongĒ side of the fabric so that the tell-tale diagonal weave is on the inside of the skirt.

The skirt is made out of four panels, with a waistband that dips down to a button placket in the front and two lined back pockets. Iím really happy with the stretchiness of the fabric in the waistbandĖit is so comfortable! I used an elastic lace as hem tape, which work surprisingly well. I stretched the elastic slightly as I was sewing it to the cut bottom, which pulled in the flair of the skirt when I flipped the hem up. There was no bunching or gathering.

I sewed the buttonholes by hand because I usually donít like the way buttonholes turn out on stretch fabric when I use my machine. All the stitching is done in a fuchsia thread that gives the skirt a bit of a kick.

The only drawback Iíve discovered is that this fabric is a lint magnet. I canít just brush off the inevitable threads and clippings that I generate on a constant basisĖinstead I have to get out a strip of packing tape. This isnít really a big deal, but itís something for me to consider in the future.

blogged it: madebyjulianne.com
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010 10:49:31 PM by julibooli » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleLime

I'll try anything once.. or twice.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010 08:18:21 AM »

Oh I LOVE this skirt!! Purple is my favorite color and skirts are just too much fun. This looks really well made, great job! *scampers off to see if I have any purple fabric half as awesome* Did you use a pattern? or did you do this freehand? draft your own pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothing worthwhile is ever easy, unless it has to do with crafting.
SecondFiddle

Crafting, thrifting & living the second-hand life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010 08:40:41 AM »

Good job!  It looks lovely on you, I like the purple button holes especially!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

adventure on the sewin' seas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010 09:52:00 AM »

Oh I LOVE this skirt!! Purple is my favorite color and skirts are just too much fun. This looks really well made, great job! *scampers off to see if I have any purple fabric half as awesome* Did you use a pattern? or did you do this freehand? draft your own pattern?

I usually just free hand my clothes. I make patterns for staples, like a jersey tee or a long-sleeve shirt that I can modify easily so that the pattern's not repeated throughout my wardrobe.

I'm really happy with this skirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Trinket Melt-and-Pour Soap
How to Make a Paper Wallet
How to Make Fake Vomit
How to Carve a Pumpkin
How to Make Fake Blood
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...