A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: No recipe DOG cookies-OR Cosmos Favo cookies  (Read 2065 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suereal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 16, 2010 04:32:44 PM »

Not sure if this is the right place (it could go in Vegan too) but this is a really easy dog cookie I make for my guy Cosmo (see my avatar) as often as I run out of them.  The pics will be done in a frying pan, but I do them in the oven more often.  The reason I'm posting is because this is his 6th birthday and I wanted to commemorate it some how.

OK so here we go:

The only things I think are necessary are sweet potato and silicon baking mats.  Every thing else can be adjusted to what you have around.

The first thing to do is to cook up some sweet potato.  I microwave mine, but you could bake or boil yours.  If you boil them, it may take a bit longer to get them done.  I then peel the potato and wrap it in a cotten towel.  What we are trying to do is get as much moister out as possible.  I then leave it the potato in the frig for as long as 4 days.  Sometimes I go and rotate the potato in the towel to get a new wet side on the dry part of the towel.

OK once I have them desiccated a bit, then comes the squishing:
This is sweat potato and dyed organic mango which has been soaked in hot water for a bit and then dyed on a towel for 15 min.  My guy loves mango for some reason.  but you could use other flavors at this point.  I have used peanutbutter, and I just added chickpeas to the batch that is baking now

Then I used to add everything else into the blender.  By everything else I mean, protein powder (I use a hemp one), vitamin powder, and any other dryish stuff you ok with (I use Oates some times, I grind up pumpkin seeds sometimes, I have been using tapioca recently, I also add some kind of seaweed at this point,  I have used both peanut butter and coconut oil, and I have used coconut flour as well. You could use wheat if your ok with that. Or what ever dry stuff you have.)

The idea is we are trying to get it as dry as you want it.  If you are using a cookie cutter then you need it dryer then if you are using a bag or a push cookie cutter.
 So...I should talk about what to do with the "dough"
...If you want to use a soft dough you could put it into a plastic bag and clip the end off then squish out the cookies from the end you cut off.  I have not used that way.  I have used a cookie cutter I got that has a press (it is pretty sticky stuff,) and recently I have just been making hand worms (rub them between your hands till they make tubes.  I have been figuring out how to make them dryer each time) then flattening them on the silicon sheet.  I gues syou could put it into the frig for a bit to get it harder as well.
 then you can fry pan them on a few settings below medium
or in the oven for 250 for the first hour then 200 for the other hours.  It has taken me anywhere from 2 hours to 4 hours depending on how dry I get the stuff to begin with.  I also try to add them in after something else has been cooked, so some of the cooking/drying has happens faster to start.  Basically I check them every hour if in the stove and every 1/2 hour if on the range in a fry pan
The end result is this:

He never fails to take them, even if he refuses all else.  My bet is your dog will love them as much as my guy does.  
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010 11:44:17 AM by suereal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
Aveykin
Perpetually in the Clouds

Environmental Science Major~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010 05:17:44 PM »

Happy Birthday Cosmo, your mummy is awesome! XD Hope you're both doing good Suereal!

We do a lot of biscuits for the rats, but I haven't tried adding in sweet potato (in fact, I don't think they've ever even had some), but that sounds like a great thing to try.

and a note to anyone who gives a go at making pet biscuits...be careful if you want to use whole wheat flour, we did a patch with it once and they turned out like little pita pockets lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swap(s):
Surprise Ball Swap-Sent
Matchbox Swap-Sent
Warcraft Swap- Crafting

"Accuse not Nature, she hath done her part; Do thou but thine."
-John Milton

http://wists.com/Aveykin
eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010 10:17:49 PM »

thanks so much for sharing. my pups are vegetarian and i have been looking for a treat to make them. your little dog looks happy to have such a cool owner!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.com

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010 11:48:27 AM »

Glad to see his recipe might be usefull to some folks.  It's super easy to do, and super good for them.

Howdy Aveykin!  I don't see why this wouldn't be good for rats too.  The key seems to be getting them really dry, and then they last for a very long time.  Cosmo also likes sweet potatoe that has just been cooked.  I think he would eat the whole s. potatoe if I let him Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
Cherry48
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011 04:53:42 PM »

COSMO! your mommyy is awsome!!!!!!! and i tryed the treats you sent lol they are are good lol my dogs went nuts for them
THIS ROCKS   Logged

private swaps are welcome! Cheesy
Keeping it Mint!
<3 CHERRY
suereal

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011 07:23:34 PM »

Ahh Cherry!  Your so good for me LOL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tojoyamoto
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011 12:30:04 AM »

Looks great.  I make my puppy babies vegan dog treats that usually contain what's on hand-- often carrots, peanut butter, hemp protein powder.  I've never tried sweet potatoes... I bet they'll love it!  Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

... has anyone seen my shoes? I kicked them off in a fit of joy.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Filmmaker Malla Nunn Discusses Her Favorite Movie
Jeannette Walls Talks About Her Life
Bob Shepherd Talks About The Infidel Podcast
Author Jonathan Alter Discusses His New Book the Defining Moment
Visiting Author Jodi Picoult in Rome
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...