A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,866
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Halloween in Wonderland Wedding (INCREDIBLY PICTURE HEAVY!! I mean it!!)  (Read 16933 times)
Tags for this thread: wedding , yeti , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SpookyPooky
~Where monsters and Wonderland come to life~

I myself am, strange and unusual.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 15, 2010 08:26:16 PM »

Hello all! I have not been on in ages it seems like. But I have a good excuse. I spent my entire summer crafting for my wedding and I finally have the pics to share! I am so thrilled with how everything turned out and how the day went. I got married on September 25th, 2010 this year. I wanted an October wedding, but I also wanted an outside ceremony and reception, so I compromised for the last weekend of September. My theme started as Victorian/Gothic, which somehow turned into Alice in Wonderland, which somehow turned into Halloween in Wonderland and then by the time it was all said and done, it was basically a "Spooky Pooky/Alexz" theme. Just everything I love. Stay with me, I have A LOT to show you all!

First, this is us! Just so you know who got married. Wink

First off, this wedding was almost 100% handmade, by mostly me, but many other brilliant artists contributed. Namely, my dad.

The entrance and surroundings:

The Tree

Okay, so the tree. This is amazing. My dad is an artist and an amazing one at that. He built me a few things for the wedding, but this is the most amazing thing of all. When I told him I was doing an Alice in Wonderland theme and asked if he could make me some things inspired by it, I never expected this. This tree was built entirely out of sheet metal. He cut and burned the pieces and welded them together piece by piece. It is seriously amazing. It stands about 15 feet tall.

Recognize that Cheshire Cat? Lanikin's made it for me! He was so prefect for that tree! Each branch looked like a hand pointing in different directions. There were five total signs: Ceremony, Reception, This Way, That Way, and "You must be this tall to wed."

The "This Tall..." branch had a rope tied to it with a rock tied at the bottom to pull the branch down. I had a woman tell me I was too little to get married but I was old enough so it became a running joke. We wanted to make it look like I was cheating in order to get married.  Cheesy

Complete with a little door!

Our guest book table:

I made my guest book more in a yearbook style. I did 30 different digital layouts using our engagement photos, our wedding colors, and quotes from our favorite songs and other significant things in our relationship, laying them out every other page so people could sign the blank page.

Inside the Depot:

The wedding was held at a train depot and the entrance/lobby had some display cases with old train models and such. I covered them with Alice inspired decoration and just my personal favorite things. Smiley

(What would Spooky Pooky's wedding be without yetis, -my trademark!- ??!!)

I also made my trademark Pumpkin Head Dolls for the Occasion. Smiley

And then I made some plush to match me and the groom.  Grin

I did not want to do traditional programs...all that money to make and print them when people just throw them away after the wedding?! No way. So I made a program to place at the entrance of the depot. I themed it to Wonderland, replacing titles with Alice themed ones. It is hard to see what it says since the pictures get sized down so much, but here is a basic rundown.

Queen Of Hearts = Maid of Honor
Adventuresses = Bridesmaids
Fairy Nymphs = Flower and Ring Girls

White Knight = Groom
Alexz in Wonderland = Bride

Officiant Mad Hatter = Pastor

Knave of Hearts = Best Man
Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum = Twin Groomsmen
White Rabbit = Groomsman

And a painting I did for the lobby:

Gifts were made for the bridesmaids and groomsmen, and I also made a Pumpkin Head for my photographer as a thank you.

If you are still here, thank you! I am sorry there are SO MANY IMAGES!! Almost done!

As I mentioned, many artists contributed to the wedding, including many Craftster members! I did personal Swaps with many of my craftster buddies and they all made me the most amazing things. Craftster really did change my life and it was important to me that my friends were "present" at the wedding. I wanted them to be represented through the means that brought us together. Some of the gifts were tied into the Alice/Halloween theme, and some were just things made to my tastes and likings, but they were all purple and orange and came together amazingly.

My brother, also awesome, built me this wonky shelf inspired by Beetlejuice to display it all! I made the sign, and also a description sign explaining what Craftster is and how important it is to me and my life. I also made little ID cards with each person's picture and placed it with their art.

The cake was a gift made by a family friend, and the toppers were made by FoxyBlue!

Candy Buffet! Om Noms!

More Outside Pics

My Dad made this Mad Hatter hat for me to sit on our table. Also, made out of sheet metal. It is HUGE! He rocks.

I spent months tracking down birdcages at thrift stores for centerpieces. No two centerpieces were alike. I painted them black and aged them and then added purple and orange flowers and black feathers and also used teacups and teapots and some tables had fall leaves, others had pumpkins, etc. I used lace table runners/table cloths to give it a more Victorian feel.

Again, my dad just rocks. He also made us a trellis to stand under during the ceremony, inspired by The Nightmare Before Christmas. Pictures do not do all the things he made justice. It is so spectacular in person and the rocks glisten in the sun because he used black flocking powder.

(Trains are inevitable at a wedding if you get married at a Train Depot, FYI  Tongue )

Attire and the rest of the stuff!

I bought purple shoes and then decorated them to match. (I also did the same with flats for later in the night.)

The garter was made by a friend for me and it matched the ring pillow. I bought the yeti charm on Etsy. Smiley

And how cute are these flower girls?! I just love these twins. These are my cousins daughters and they were quite the scene stealers. I bought orange fairy wings and decorated them myself. I also decorated their flower pumpkin basket to match everything else.

MadGypsy made me this amazing top hat, that by sheer coincidence was made with the exact same fabric used for the ring pillow and garter!

Some Final Pictures:

I made the bridesmaids bouquets, but unfortunately I do not have a close up shot.

I was in love with my bouquet, done by a local florist:

Thanks for bearing with me through all of that if you made it through that ridiculously long post! Sorry for so many pictures! I just was so excited to finally share it all! Thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

amydice
Tutorial Contributor

Amy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010 08:58:19 PM »

Seriously, AMAZING.
I was so happy that I could "be there" for your wedding as well! I love that you included so many Craftsters in it! You did awesome on everything, and congratulations!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always up for a personal swap!
Looking to swap for anything Doctor Who or a mug rug!

Blog: http://craftingmachine.blogspot.com/
Wist: http://www.wists.com/AmyLutter
Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AmyLDice
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mad-Crafter/124912220860742
How Lovely
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010 08:59:37 PM »

Congratulations!!!! Your wedding looks AMAZING!!! The amount of crafting that went into it is so impressive!!! Good luck together!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm sweet... Like too much sugar in your tea
~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
Pins: www.pinterest.com/howlovely
Store: www.etsy.com/shop/NostOWLgia
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010 09:01:43 PM »

Woohoo! I get to be the first to post. All of that work was amazing, but I am totally in LOVE with your Dad's artistry! You're so lucky. Let's see. What else did I love? The shoes you decorated, the hat, the flower girls, your bouquet...um...all of the Alice themed decorations...the program, your painting (I'm having to go back and look). Everything was so amazing!!!!Congratulations! you're so BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Edit...Damn. I made it too long. I'm not the first. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

twiterpert
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010 09:05:48 PM »

Congratulations! Everything looks absolutely wonderful. I love how personal you made everything, even the bridesmaids baskets. Including all your Craftster friends is such a lovely gesture. Here's to your happiness!

Also, may I adopt your father? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
SpookyPooky
~Where monsters and Wonderland come to life~

I myself am, strange and unusual.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010 09:06:54 PM »

Seriously, AMAZING.
I was so happy that I could "be there" for your wedding as well! I love that you included so many Craftsters in it! You did awesome on everything, and congratulations!!!!

Thanks Amy! It was the second best way to have you there since you couldn't really come!

Congratulations!!!! Your wedding looks AMAZING!!! The amount of crafting that went into it is so impressive!!! Good luck together!!!

Thank you! It was soooooo much work but so worth it. To be honest, I miss the stress and want to be planning something again. lol!

Woohoo! I get to be the first to post. All of that work was amazing, but I am totally in LOVE with your Dad's artistry! You're so lucky. Let's see. What else did I love? The shoes you decorated, the hat, the flower girls, your bouquet...um...all of the Alice themed decorations...the program, your painting (I'm having to go back and look). Everything was so amazing!!!!Congratulations! you're so BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Edit...Damn. I made it too long. I'm not the first. Wink

Thank you, Paulette! Yes, my dad is seriously AMAZING. I am trying to convince him to present his stuff to big companies. Thank you so much for being a part of the wedding as well! You are such a huge influence on me and it means the world to me to have your doll! Thanks again!
Congratulations! Everything looks absolutely wonderful. I love how personal you made everything, even the bridesmaids baskets. Including all your Craftster friends is such a lovely gesture. Here's to your happiness!

Also, may I adopt your father? Wink

Haha, I am stingy with my dad! lol. Thank you so much!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010 12:34:20 AM »

Congratulations! It looks like the most fun and beautiful wedding, and I'm glad you seemed to enjoy all the planning and work you put into it rather then getting too stressed. Don't worry about the length of the post, I really enjoyed reading it all and looking at all the photos. Everything looks amazing, with so many great ideas, I love the Craftster 'shrine' - I've enjoyed seeing all the things people have been making for you over the last few months - and the things your dad made were so cool and original!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucyravenscar.etsy.com
lucyravenscar.blogspot.com
lucyravenscar.tumblr.com
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010 04:49:52 AM »

wow it looks fabulous, you put so much work into it and it really shows..and your dad rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010 07:08:23 AM »

Congrats!  your wedding looks like it was a ton of fun!  Your dad has some serious talent, no wonder you do too!  You  made that day one to remember for sure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

abaffledcat
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010 07:11:19 AM »

Is that the Depot in Atlanta?!? How did you rent it? I am getting married next year and I've had my eye on that place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bus Stop Style
Stacy Keibler Dishes On Her Red-Carpet Style
Cozy Up in These Cute Kitschy Sweaters Right Now
Get Stars Looks For Less From Celeb Boutique
Capes No Longer For Superheroes
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...