A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Restrictions for countries shipping to the US - Now adding Australia  (Read 1574 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

icebyrd67
hello beautiful world!

Where is the pony doctor?!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 13, 2010 07:48:03 PM »

I'm not sure how many people this will effect but due to the recent issues with attempts to ship explosives to the US via UK postal services, Japan has put a ban on packages over 16oz as of November 17th. .  This ban effects air mail and EMS shipping.

DHL has also put up a notice about shipping.

I'll update this post if I see any changes.

I'm not sure if we have many swappers from Japan but I'm fairly annoyed now.  Lol.  I get a lot of stuff from etsy from japan.  =/  Plus all my Lolita clothes...=(  I anticipate the prices of Loli brands going up if the restrictions last long...

Australia just implemented an extra charge to people using their postal system to mail to the US.

http://auspost.com.au/apps/international-post-guide.html

"Articles over 453g and all ECI and EPI services will be subject to an additional $9 security surcharge and may face transit delays of up to 48 hours."
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010 11:06:54 AM by icebyrd67 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to learn all about me? http://icebyrd67.livejournal.com/
http://www.wists.com/icebyrd67

looking for personal swaps - i need decorative table numbers for my wedding. want to have a place in my wedding? More details in my profile. PM me!
Sandy Ang
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010 03:33:31 AM »

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be making a note to check with my post office.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit my blog to see more new projects
http://angsandy.blogspot.com/
Matt Thorn
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010 04:10:16 AM »

Argh! I just got a notice about this from Japan Post. I read Japanese fine, but I couldn't believe what I was seeing, so I reread it twice, and finally Googled in English to see what I could learn. I make lightsabers (seriously) and the occasional costume, and though I ship most of them within Japan, sometimes I send something to the U.S.. This is beyond the realm of "inconvenience."  Embarrassed Now I'll have to check to see if other delivery services are available.

EDIT: It looks like the restriction does not apply to "metered" packages, which I take to mean packages that are handed to a postal clerk for metering. In other words, the restriction seems to apply basically to packages that are pre-stamped by the sender and dropped off. If that's the case, it may not be a big problem at all. I guess I'll find out.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010 04:18:46 AM by Matt Thorn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
icebyrd67
hello beautiful world!

Where is the pony doctor?!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010 11:12:12 AM »

oops.  for the link to the australian postage, you'll have to change the drop-down to United States
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to learn all about me? http://icebyrd67.livejournal.com/
http://www.wists.com/icebyrd67

looking for personal swaps - i need decorative table numbers for my wedding. want to have a place in my wedding? More details in my profile. PM me!
A2JC4life
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011 11:21:17 AM »

I find this a bit strange.  We (in the US) have issues with people trying to send bombs here, so other countries place restrictions on their outgoing shipping?  Huh  If we (again, the US) were placing restrictions on incoming packages, that would make sense to me ('though I hope they don't), but I just find this puzzling.

We have a distinction between stamped and otherwise here, too.  If a package is over a certain weight - 1 lb., I think, but I don't recall for sure - and it has stamps on it, you can't put it in a mailbox; you have to take it to the post office.  (I guess they figure there's some accountability, as you have to show your face to the postal clerk.)  But if you order your postage online, for instance, and print a shipping label with the postage already on it, I think it can go in the mailbox.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

schnerby
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011 02:41:15 AM »

Yep. Apparently this fee has to be paid on ingoing packages to the US, so rather than copping it Australia Post is adding it on at the counter. $9 seems a bit much. What do they do to it for $9?

This is going to put a halt on my swapping to the USA.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Create A Better Story - Motion Sketches 3
How to Create Better Media - Motion Sketches 2
How to Create A Better Story - Motion Sketches 1
How to Debunk Hollywood Urban Legends
After Effects - Realistic Gun Blow Back
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...