A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Earring Tree  (Read 1671 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

schizo319
« on: November 13, 2010 11:35:05 AM »

detail:

So my mom asked for an earring tree for Christmas this year. Since 1987 has long passed, I figured it would be easier to make one than to actually buy one. I wanted it to be easy to hang post or earwire earrings without having to take the whole frame off of the wall. So I started experimenting with using some screen to make "leaves". After wrapping the edges in copper tape, I decided that wasn't going to be strong enough, so after I racked my brain for a couple of hours about how to make "leaves" with the screen, my husband came home and said "what about polymer clay"... I love him, I was starting to think I'd have to scrap the whole idea...

At any rate, here are the technical details:

- The base is a gallery style (1.5" thich) masonite board I picked up at hobby lobby. Just a word of warning, it's HARD to pound nails/tacks into masonite board - the back of the board has some little divets, but I plan on covering the backside with felt.

-The paint is acrylic and the tree is delta foil (pressure sensitive mylar) with a few peices of copper leaf to fill in some of the gaps. Sealed with several coats of satin finish poly.

- The oval frames were cut out with cookie cutters - I tried to use leaf shape cutters, but they proved to be too small and fussy to work with, especially with the screen in between.

-I sandwiched a piece of screen between two oval frames with some liquid poly. {I cut the screen with a circle punch and squished it into an oval form}. Then I pressed the frames between two texture plates and brushed them with mica powders.

-Also, picked up some copper tacks at the hardware store to hang the leaves and put in a row of small gold cup hooks for neclaces/bracelets.

I still plan to make/buy a jewelry roll to hang in the back of the peice. The idea is that when she travels, she can grab the roll, throw in a couple of the ovals and be set. Plus she can keep some of her nicer "special occasion" jewelry hidden away!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kricket_usa
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010 12:42:04 PM »

I love this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aisy
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010 07:48:59 PM »

me too-wisted
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Demonna
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010 07:11:32 PM »

Wonderful idea! I was just thinking about trying to find an earring tree for myself, right now they're all in a Kaboodle, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lisa C
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010 11:55:51 AM »

I have been wanting to make a family tree picture/piece of art. I am totally stealing your idea, I am going to make one for my Mom and one for myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nougatgee
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010 08:31:47 AM »

ingenius!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shampoo Your Hair
How to Style Punk Hair
How to Style Emo Hair
How to Treat Dandruff
How to Use a Round Brush to Curl Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...