A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 304,868
Currently Running With Scissors:
366 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brazilian Redwood scraps  (Read 654 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Suriah
"I would love to talk dirty to you in bed...

....with perfect grammar, of course"

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2010 12:07:39 PM »

Hi everybody,

My dad's neighbors just finished putting in a new deck in their backyard and the builders gave my dad several big boxes filled with scrap wood, which they said was Brazilian Redwood.  It is beautiful wood and extremely heavy for the size!!  The scraps are mostly triangle shapes around the size of my hand, some small rectangles a few inches wide, and a small stack of thin trim.  I discovered this when I visited my dad and he was tossing it into the fireplace!  He said it did seem a little sad, but he had nothing else to do with it. 

They also gave him a bunch of scrap cedar from the roof part of the deck, I didn't see the size of all of it, but I believe it is in bigger chunks (it is in his wood pile in the backyard).

There must be something I can do with all of this beautiful wood!  I would love to make something useful, but I am not much of one for woodworking so it can't be too complicated.
If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Suri~

"When vegetarians grow up, they become vegans"

"Two hydrogen atoms walk into a bar. One says, "I've lost my electron." "The other says, "Are you sure?" The first replies, "Yes, I'm positive..."
DawnsTrees
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010 11:48:01 PM »

I once saw a lamp that was made from wood scraps that I loved. Of course I can no longer find a picture of it or remember where it was that I saw it. Sad. But, it was basically made with all different shapes and sizes of scrap wood piled on top of each other. A hole was drilled through the middle for the wiring and then a lampshade was attached at the top. I know that the description doesn't evoke images of a beautiful lamp, but it was a very attractive, rustic looking lamp! (I can see that my descriptive skills need a bit of work...  Roll Eyes but hopefully you get the idea!)

I did a quick google image search to see if I could find the lamp again (no luck), but I did run across a couple of other interesting ideas for scrap wood
This one is a scrap wood mirror frame:
http://markmontano.typepad.com/mark-montano/2010/07/cheap-and-chic-scrap-wood-mirror.html
Depending on how big the cedar chunks are (probably too small for this, but it is too cool to not post  Smiley) - they made bar stools out of scrap wood!:
http://www.furniturestoreblog.com/2010/08/02/bar_stools_made_from_scrap_wood.html

You could also wood burn images or words into them for wall art, put pictures on them and resin them, if they are big enough you could make coasters... if they are too 'splintery' you can use them in your garden to border a path...

Sorry to go on - I guess the thought of nice scrap wood gets my creative juices going!
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
Suriah
"I would love to talk dirty to you in bed...

....with perfect grammar, of course"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010 10:50:29 AM »

Wow! Thanks for the suggestions!  I was actually thinking of something very similar to the mirror frame, but either as a picture frame (a large one for my parent's stone mantle) or a headboard for a bed (possibly too rough for one??) since the pieces are kind of large.

I love your lamp idea, too.

I'm going to see what I can do, I'm in a race against my dad using them as firewood Sad
I'm open to any and all suggestions, there are lots of scraps Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Suri~

"When vegetarians grow up, they become vegans"

"Two hydrogen atoms walk into a bar. One says, "I've lost my electron." "The other says, "Are you sure?" The first replies, "Yes, I'm positive..."
DawnsTrees
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010 12:57:31 PM »

A headboard could be pretty amazing - but I would also be a bit concerned if the pieces are really rough. I think that a picture frame would also be beautiful - and it didn't really look like there was too much "woodworking" involved!

Good luck! I hope you get to them before your dad does!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists: http://www.wists.com/TinasDawn
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/dawnstrees

50 in 2011:My List. 50/50
50 in 2012:My List. 65/50
50 in 2013:My List. 21/50
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Angelina Jolie Makes a Sexy Statement at Her First Post-Surgery Red Carpet
Pretty Savvy: Beachy Chic
Stars Sizzle in White Hot Fashion
‪How to Get Celebrity-Inspired Bikini Looks for Less‬
6 Things to Pack for a Weekend Trip
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...