A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Undoing/Redoing Stitching advice?  (Read 1149 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starwarspunk
« on: November 10, 2010 10:28:45 AM »

Hello everyone!  I am quite new to Craftster but after seeing all the impressive craftiness that takes place on this site, I am sure someone can help me! 

I am returning to an old 11 x 14 cross stitching project that I haven't touched in about 6 months and realized... the reason I haven't touched it in so long is because I messed up pretty badly. 

Somehow I ended up being off about 5 rows and I am not sure if I should try to work with what I have or undo all the stitches that should be 5 rows below (about 10 rows of stitches).  I am worried if I try to fudge it, my pattern will not fit properly on the fabric/or it will look goofy.  I am also worried that if I try to undo the thread it might damage the fabric since the stitches have been in place for so long.  Also, I stupidly left it in a hoop meaning I will have horrible crease marks once I take it off.

Does anyone have any advice they can offer to me, or should I hide this project again for another 6 months?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010 01:54:16 PM »

Can you just fudge a little bit on that part or maybe add something to it to fill in the mistake? Why don't you start on another part of the piece and then work your way to the area you messed up on and do some sort of fill then? As a last resort you can take it out but that would be a big pain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AGFH
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010 09:41:20 PM »

Cross stitch fabric is pretty forgiving. Take it out of the hoop give it a good ironing.
As for the lines being off, I guess that would depend on the design in that area. If you decide to take the stitching out it would be easiest on the fabric to use very sharp very pointy small scissors to cut through the front "x's" on the front of the fabric. Then run a good sticky lint roller on the back of the fabric to pick up as much as possible. You can manually pick off/out the rest. Iron again and you will be good to go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I was off to save the world....until I was distracted by something shiny.
wherethewild

Stitchalicious.com - funking up embroidery!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010 10:59:44 PM »

I always frog it when I make a mistake because I'm kind of retentive about that (nothing else in my life mind you, just cross stitching). Often I'll just snip out the wrong stitches and pull out a few more of the surrounding ones so that I have some tails on the back which I then just stitch over when I fill in the gap. This may mean that I have up to ten loose ends that I need to deal with, but it works suprisingly well and quick and you don't have to frog the entire colour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stitchalicious - funking up embroidery

Street art and Graffiti cross stitch patterns!
annoyinglittlegirl
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010 07:55:38 AM »

Personally I think I'd undo it and try again, because I'm really anal about stuff like that. It might damage the fabric slightly, but usually it looks okay again after you restitch over it.

If it's too much to redo (and 10 lines sounds like quite a lot), I think it depends on what it actually was that was stitched in the wrong place. If it was just a bit of the background or something, you can probably fudge it and just fill in the gap with some more background. If it was an actual object though, I'd undo it and try again, otherwise it'll end up looking a funny shape.

As for the creases, just iron it Smiley I'd put it on a piece of thick fabric or something first though so you don't end up completely flattening all of your stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my vegetarian cookery blog Smiley views, comments and FB likes are ALWAYS appreciated!

www.amuse-your-bouche.blogspot.com
starwarspunk
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010 05:45:30 AM »

Right now I'm working on everything but the part I messed up.  Smiley

Since the screwed up part is actually the main part of the picture (the darn borders are perfect though...), I'm going to painfully redo it since trying to work with it is going to cause more problems.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Gooey Campfire Banana Boats Recipe
How to Make Sushi for Dessert
2014 Spring Dining Guide: Cappuccino and Beignets at Bayou Bakery
How to Make a Gluten Free Orange Polenta Cake
Gluten Free Blackberry Cobbler Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...