A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help needed to make Chocolate Steampunk Cogs / Gears  (Read 1803 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CherryBoo
« on: November 08, 2010 02:36:10 PM »

Hiya all!

I've set myself a bit of a challenge to make my boyfriend a steampunk cake for his birthday, I'm on the look out for some sort of mould to create some chocolate gears or cogs etc. I have been searching all over the internet and ebay (UK) and haven't managed to find anything!

Ideally i'd want to just be able to buy the mould ive seen tutorials for how to make your own moulds but i dont really have the money to but all the equipment to be able to to that *sigh* so i'm just wondering if any craftsters could point me in the right direction?

Thank you for reading my post & happy crafting! xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010 04:24:15 PM »

Here's an idea for you.

Make both a sheet cake (smallish) and a couple of cupcakes out of your chosen cake mix. Cut the tops off of the cupcakes to make them level. Set them upside down on the sheet cake. Carve the sheet cake to look more like the mask that the goggles are on. (Hope that makes sense...)

Then cover with fondant or butter cream. I would suggest fondant to get details.

To make cogs, get some melting chocolate like the kind used to dip pretzels or other holiday sweets. Find a couple of cog designs that you like in different sizes and print them out. Tape that sheet to a flat surface. Take a piece of wax paper. Lay it over the printed cogs so that you can see through them through the wax paper. Melt the chocolates. Put in piping bag. Pipe the cog designs onto the wax paper. Allow to dry. You can then remove them from the wax paper when completely cooled. If you want the cogs colored, you could try some edible dusting powder found in many craft stores. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CherryBoo
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010 12:24:54 PM »

Oooh excellent suggestion Troublet thank you for replying! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010 07:29:14 AM »

How about chocolate covered pretzels? You could cover those round ones that look a bit like gears.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Banga
I'm made out of Laffy Taffy.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010 08:19:47 AM »

I would definitely go with Troublet's suggestion!

However, if you want to make your own molds, you can use molding starch or corn starch. That's what lots of commercial candy makers use. It's actually not that hard! I made mine from a kit purchased from this site: http://www.gleegum.com/make-gummies-kit.htm but you don't need to order that. You can use household stuff. Here's a tute: http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2010/01/how-to_corn_starch_candy_molds.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Place an etsy order, enter CRAFTSTEROCKS & user name at checkout for free shipping!  Etsy! ~
Flickr ~Wist ~ Blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chicken Cutlets
How to Make a Big Mac Burger
How to Make Grilled Cheese
Honey-Truffle Grilled Cheese Recipe
How to Cook Truffled Egg Benedict
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...