A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Striped Tote - Pic Heavy  (Read 1249 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

plaidgiraffe
« on: January 28, 2006 12:12:43 PM »

I finally finished a bag that I've been working at off and on all week.  It was an attempt to copy a bag that I saw in a shop and thought 'I can make that'.  Anyhow, I'm interested in hearing what everyone thinks of it.  It has a magnetic closure, but the sides also have a strap that brings the sides in closer together to make a more tapered shape.  All of the seams are reinforced, and I didn't bother with interfacing, as the outer fabric is a heavy canvas type fabric.

Here it is with the sides pulled in close:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c308/jen_m_ca/stripedtote.jpg

And with the strap left unattached:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c308/jen_m_ca/stripedtoteunfoldedview.jpg

Here's a close-up of the strap that pulls the sides in:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c308/jen_m_ca/totesideclosure.jpg

And the interior pocket - as this was a first attempt, I was using up scraps I had on hand, and think that the lining matches the pocket lining pretty well:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c308/jen_m_ca/stripedtoteinteriorpocket.jpg

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011 10:45:26 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
serenityinsleep
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006 01:10:38 PM »

Oooh, I like, I like!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ketmga
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006 03:01:39 PM »

Very cool! I love the fabric color and the size of the tote ROCKS. You did a fantastic job. Do you have the measurements of the bag handy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GirlyGirlBags
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006 07:32:38 PM »

Very cute!  I like how the tab pulls in the sides to make it more structured.  Very cool! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

urvi
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006 05:05:29 AM »

love it !!

thts a great idea !!!

urvi
bombay
india
THIS ROCKS   Logged

urvi
bombay
india

i love 'my country doesnt have that' swaps !!!

im a BIG fan of personal swaps ! :-)
plaidgiraffe
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006 02:59:03 PM »

Oooh, I like, I like!

Thanks...I wound up giving this one away as I wasn't thrilled with the colours for me, but I'm looking forward to making another as soon as I find the right fabric. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plaidgiraffe
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006 03:03:32 PM »

Very cool! I love the fabric color and the size of the tote ROCKS. You did a fantastic job. Do you have the measurements of the bag handy?

Thanks!...for this bag i used about an inch for my seam allowance, and the measurements are about 11.5" by 17" for the front and back pieces (with a curve put in using a plant saucer I believe.  The side pieces measure about 16" long, and are 5" at the top and 6" at the bottom.  For the bag bottom, I cut a piece that measures 11.5" by 6", and sewed it in once the sides and front/back were all together.  I think that I wound up trimming a little bit off the edges, and I likely should have sewn it into the side pieces before putting the bag together...but it worked well so I didn't take anything apart after I started it.  I can't remember the measurements for the straps, but I believe they were about 3" taking the seam allowance into account.  Hopefully that helps. 

Edited to add:...I didn't realize that the pictures don't show it, but the inside of the bag contains an upper lining of the outside fabric attached to the inside lining which shows up in the pictures.  Here's a picture that kind of shows what I mean.

I didn't measure the piece, but cut about a 2" strip across the width of my fabric, and that was enough to go around the inside of the bag.  For the lining I had to go with the size of the scrap I had, but it turned out pretty close to the size of the outside bag front/back pieces. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006 03:12:02 PM by plaidgiraffe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
plaidgiraffe
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006 03:04:28 PM »

Very cute!  I like how the tab pulls in the sides to make it more structured.  Very cool! Grin

Thanks.  I liked that part too.  I messed around with a snap setter tool and the little pieces, but I haven't quite got the knack of it yet, and finally went with velcro for this one. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plaidgiraffe
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006 03:06:10 PM »

love it !!

thts a great idea !!!

urvi
bombay
india

Thanks Urvi.  The design isn't mine at all...but it was a large chain store where I saw the original...so hopefully I'm not causing problems. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...