A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,117
Currently Running With Scissors:
534 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Andy cheated on Project Runway!  (Read 11193 times)
Tags for this thread: project_runway  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SkyyAngel
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010 03:43:13 PM »

I happened to be reading on some blog and they were saying it's not the first look Andy copied from that book. Apparently one of the first outfits he made had like paper lantern-type sleeves that were directly from that book too? Like I said, I missed the first 5 or so episodes but dang.

Did anyone else see Ivy's Fashion Week collection? Ugh... soooo boring! She might be professionally trained and a good patternmaker but a designer, she. is. not. That was obvious by the second episode I saw. Plus the whole debacle with her being catty and calling Michael C. a cheater (remember the buttons? lol... funny how the cameras never caught him actually telling anyone to not vote for her even though they were over their shoulders all night) and just being a general b*tch about "tapegate". I was hoping they'd create some drama for the finale calling her out on her crap but it's more like she was ignored while she sat in the loser chair. I pray they don't bring her back for a second round.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catastrophe
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010 06:33:15 PM »

I knew it was familiar!
I was hoping to see so much better from him anyway, I am glad he did not win. He doesn't seem like he was fully sure of what 'winning' a chance of a lifetime like that, really meant. As for Gretchen or Mondo, I think they knew what they were really working for.
Andy's dull final line was extremely boring... and for as boring as each piece was, never did I feel the same way about his pieces throughout the whole season. What a shame on his part, imo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Li Is a Dram, From Which W First Must Wak Bor W May Dram Again
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010 07:41:31 PM »

That's disappointing Sad.

If it had been in one of the usual challenges I would give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was probably just tapping in to unconscious memories of the design. But given that this was for the finale and Andy had loads of time on his own, working independently, I think it's a bit suspicious.

NPR did a recent story on intellectual property rights in the fashion industry. It was interesting but unfortunately I can't find a link!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
sunshinekitty1
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010 08:54:15 PM »

Aww man, this just makes me angrier.  Thanks for posting, I'm glad I know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suzyscissors

There's only one thing I love more than crafting..

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010 11:00:29 PM »

Holy Moly!!  That's so crazy.  I was not a huge Andy fan anyway so I'm not too upset.  And I'm in a camp that Mondo should have won - he was a true designer.

I think Gretchen got lucky that her design aesthetic is "in" right now because I don't think it was purposeful... But that might be because I didn't really like Gretchen from the beginning! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010 10:10:42 AM »

SkyyAngel: I recognized those cool sleeves you refer to:

http://www.mylifetime.com/files/galleries/pr8-rr-ep2-andy-s.jpg

But not from Pattern Magic Volume 2, where a variant can be seen:

http://designerslibrary.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/03/19/pattern2_2.jpg

This is the image I thought of when I saw them:

http://vintagesewing.info/1940s/42-mpd/illust/04-114-b.jpg

From a vintage sewing book available online called Modern Pattern Design (here's the section on sleeves):

http://vintagesewing.info/1940s/42-mpd/mpd-04.html]http://vintagesewing.info/1940s/42-mpd/mpd-04.html

So the concept is old, but Andy's construction seems to be different. More like ovoid pieces with boning or wire between each forming the peaks, as opposed to two different shaped pieces forming each "peak."

I have no beef with designers stealing ideas. Fashion espionage is almost as old as fashion. It's obvious copying that I have a beef with. I like that braided front thing, too, but if I were to sell a version, I'd say "based on Pattern X in Pattern Magic by *insert unpronouncable Japanese name*", just like if I bought production rights to the Buttercup Bag, or decided to sell a garment made from one of my Truly Victorian patterns (which are licenced for ten garments automatically, which is super cool!).

So yea. Inspired by others = good. Copying down to the finest details = bad. Here's an article on the DVF scandal for those interested:

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/archive/2009/04/23/copycat-style.aspx

http://www.nationalpost.com/1523461.bin

PS: I'm surprised Mondo didn't win because he's quite innovative. I agree that Gretchen got lucky just because her aesthetic is very next-year, BUT! If she doesn't develop along with the coming trends, she'll have two or three years of good sales and then will just be a niche designer, leading to disappointment, depression, insanity, who knows, she seems emotionally fragile. Mondo would always be a niche designer, however, and thus wouldn't have the disappointment of suddenly falling out of favour with the collapse of certain trends, and thus would have a steady, if smaller, client base.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010 02:52:21 PM by MareMare - Reason: please don't hotlink to images you don't own » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010 11:02:15 AM »

Alexus1325--thanks for the link to the vintage site...it has been a while since I have sewn clothes, but now I remember why I love it...I am going to have to make something with those cowl sleeves...they are fabulous!

Time to drag out the dressform and the curved rulers! Cheesy

I have enjoyed the discussion on this thread...very informative and spirited!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 101/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010 08:35:14 PM »

eh, I think everything's been done before, it's more how someone makes something and the quality and twists they put on it than if the basic design has already been created.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
montyfull
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010 03:49:45 AM »

Yeah, copying sucks... but I work in the industry and it truly is the way things are. Of course, I do think there's a big difference between a runway competition like this and ready to wear knock offs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Everything in moderation...even moderation. ~

my wists: http://www.wists.com/montyfull
I'm open for personal swaps!!
pantsafari
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010 11:30:23 AM »

Mare mare- I agree, everythings been done before. but he could have taken that weaving technique and changed the silhouette or placement or SOMETHING. but its the exact same top. same color. same execution. and thats where i see a problem. there is no way to be 100% unique in designing becuase someone before you has done something similar, but its the job of the designer to be innovative and make something new, even if it was born of something old.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The never ending quest for pants continues...
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Home Style Fried Chicken
How To Cook Asparagus
Italian Sausage & Stuffed Mushrooms Recipes
Baked Potato
Seafood Gumbo
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...