A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Andy cheated on Project Runway!  (Read 11179 times)
Tags for this thread: project_runway  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Alexus1325
« on: November 08, 2010 06:23:11 AM »

This is the best category I could think to put such a thing in, so I hope no one minds.

Anywho, I just got around to watching the finale of Project Runway Season 8. I haven't finished it yet because I'm QUITE outraged! I spotted it, rewound, watched again, rewound, watched again... I needed to rant, and well, at least some people here will be familiar with the book I'm going to reference.

Take a look at this still I found of one of Andy's looks:

http://images.nymag.com/fashion/fashionshows/2011/spring/main/newyork/womenrunway/projectrunwayandy/images/9.jpg

Now look at the left page of this image from the book Pattern Magic:

Count the segments. Analyze the arrangement. You'll notice it's NOT similar, but EXACT. You'd figure after the uproar over DVF stealing a boudoir jacket design, "designers" (who expect to make loads of $$$ and be famous) would stop doing such blatant copying...

And to think I liked his work...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010 08:26:35 PM by MareMare - Reason: please don't hotlink to images you don't own » THIS ROCKS   Logged

WildChild4487
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010 06:32:25 AM »

omg! i thought that looked familiar when i watched it! im soo ticked!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us. by Ralph Waldo Emerson
tattooedcrafter
I don't need friends, I have teddy bears!!!

Me and My littlest love

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010 06:41:15 AM »

That is so horrible to see, I'm really glad he didn't win.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have very limited internet access so if you don't hear from me don't worry I'll be around soon

I'm Full of Unexpected Awesomeness
wists.com/tattooedcrafter
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010 06:49:35 AM »

That looks like a good book to have as a jumping off point for ideas!

Are the designs in the book generic or do they credit specific designers with the design?

I think in the fashion world, design copying is pretty preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'prevalent...shame...I') really love that blouse, though...Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 101/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
savage pixie

will sew for shoes

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010 07:04:19 AM »

Perhaps he remembered seeing it and thought it would be perfect for what he was going to show. It was quite beautiful. Almost nothing on the show is original - I can see your point, but I've seen plenty on the show in past seasons that are direct rips off of things I've seen in books and stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

my wist http://wists.com/savagepixie
SkyyAngel
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010 07:22:57 AM »

That is so horrible to see, I'm really glad he didn't win.

His clothes were always "okay" for me. I wasn't ever wow'ed. Thought he deserved to get further than most but not top 3 over Michael C. I missed the first 5-ish episodes so I missed that first outfit Gretchen did that I really liked (that they showed in the finale recap) but all the episodes I did see, I thought everything she made was just awful. And her collection was sooo drab and dreary! And she made another DIAPER!!! Like seriously, those were not shorts, they weren't swimsuit bottoms... that was a friggin' diaper.

I think the producers/judges are losing their minds, seriously. Practically all season they're like, "mondo! we LOVE your work!" then at the end they're just like, "it wouldn't work, sorry". I don't get how that works.... you love love love him and then, "we still love you, but your stuff is too costume-y".
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twiterpert
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010 11:02:34 AM »

Ugh, I stopped watching this season about halfway through because it got too ridiculous. Too much drama, not enough fashion. I'm all for being inspired off of what you've seen, but at least add your own twist to it. I mean, he could have changed how the ends tapered or the cut of the sleeves. He put the outfit together nicely, but that's about coordination, not originality...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
bhghatesyou
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010 12:54:29 PM »

That sucks.  but hopefully it wasnt intentional but they are pretty much exact.  i thought andy deserved to be in the top 3.  he didnt play it safe and his clothes were different.  i will say that michael c was robbed of his chance to go to fashion week.  i was pulling for him all season.  mondo losing was the biggest shock.  i think i may be done watching this show buut we shall see
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meggy_doodle
Professional Daydreamer

Do YOU know the muffin man?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010 01:10:51 PM »

Angry I really don't think Andy should have been in the top 3. His clothes were good but not great. Michael C was way better in my opinion and I would definitely buy something from his line. And what was that crap about the judges saying that Michael C's collection looked monotone?! I mean I know the clothes he chose to show to the judges before choosing who went to fashion week were of the same color palette but they were gorgeous! All of Andy's collection was grey/silver except for those three green pieces he made last second. Sorry, just kinda mad about how everything turned out, lol.

And Mondo not winning was such a shock! Even if his clothes were "too costumey" they were still awesome and way better than Gretchen's. He was consistently good throughout the season and I thought he was definitely going to win because they were way more critical of Gretchen than him and then it's like, "sorry lol you didn't win"  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist: www.wists.com/Megnificent

50 Projects a Year 2012:
2/50
mouseatethekitty
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010 01:51:49 PM »

Darn, now I'm just as mad at Andy as I am about Gretchen! Don't rip off other designers, if you are in project runway it's time to be original and interesting that's what the show is supposed to be about.
Ughhhh I was (and still am) infuriated b the whole thing! Michael C wasn't my favorite designer but I thought he deserved to go to the top 3 more than Gretchen. And what I really got upset over was the fact that the judges all told Michael C that his colors were all the same, yet Gretchens line had the very same problem. They were all the same colors and all the same fabrics with the exception of on green top. I was _so_mad_ that she won over Mondo who has consistently done well in almost every episode. While Grethcen made some pretty bad executive decisions. Yes, Mondo's clothes did look young an sometimes costumey but where did they ever say in project runway who all of these clothes were targeted to? Older women, younger women and teenagers can be attracted to fashion. I don't understand why they consistently told him that his clothes were too young?
 As much as I would love to say I'm not going to watch it again I'm probably going to, not gonna lie. I wish next season they include more episodes where they work with unconventional materials. The ones where they go to the grocery store was always one of my favorites!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Get Silky, Straight Hair
How to Wear Rainbow Hair and Look Good
Hair Tyrant: The Final Look - A Polished Creative Look
How to Get Sexy, Full-Bodied Hair
Moroccan Inspired Hairstyles at the Tadashi Shoji FW 2014 Show
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...