A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Movie Accurate Snow White  (Read 5596 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_56_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ariakay
« on: November 06, 2010 09:08:47 PM »

Hi! After much internal debate, I decided to be Snow White this year (other choices were Lucy from peanuts or Dr. Mrs. The Monarch). Unfortunately, I underestimated the amount of sewing  needed but luck was on my side. I researched the Snow White movie (HD version) on a certain video viewing site and recorded the small details, such as the color of her shoes, the shape of the red parts on her sleeves, and the color of her cape. Reference image:

My costume:

I traipsed to the nearest consignment stores and found the fabric for the bodice, the petticoat, and the shoes which I altered from ugly cowboy boots. I know now that I'm no leather worker. You can see the shoes better here- it was a bit windy excuse the hair :

The rest of the materials were found in my mom's fabric stash and a fabric store. Construction was relatively simple although I'm a novice at best. I found a headband tutorial and stuffed the bow with cotton balls. The bodice is Simplicity pattern 5582 of the Renaissance costume, and I have to say that I bought a pattern that didn't fit me and kind of winged it. I'm not really an instructions person! I had never installed a zipper before either, and installed it upside down- to close it you have to zip down. Smiley The skirt is a simple rectangle skirt with the seam in the back, and the collar is just stiff interfacing and white broadcloth cut to size and hand sewn to the bodice. A couple more gratuitous images:

What made this costume worth it was the overwhelming response from children. I went to the local parade and little girls kept coming up to take pictures, and I asked one of them who her favorite princess was and she said "You!". I'll never forget that!

P.S. There are so many amazing costumes on these boards! I can't believe the creativity and art people produce for my favorite day of the year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010 09:58:47 PM »

what a fabulous snow white outfit!   and how cute is that that you are one of the favorite princesses! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WideEyedLife
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010 01:25:19 PM »

What beautiful pictures!  I love the posing and the little animals beside you.  Plus, you make a stunning Snow White!  I really love this!  Smiley  Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artzy_fartzy68
"The best index to a person's character is (a) how he treats people who can't do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who can't fight back." Abigail van Buren

Macaroni & Cheese

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010 05:12:52 PM »

Bravo! This is outstanding work. WTG!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jacki, blog at http://mac-aroni-n-cheese.blogspot.com/ Check out what cool stuff I'm up to!
spicecarrie
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010 06:43:34 PM »

Awww!! Very nice costume and the pics are soooo cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

devilduck
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010 09:26:18 PM »

Your costume came out great!!! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katie08
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010 07:05:21 AM »

Fantastic job! Cheesy So cute that the kids all came up to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010 09:44:07 AM »

The white collar standing up is particularly impressive! Way to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plumbucket

Guard girl/Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010 06:00:57 PM »

Love this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guardie for life.

I am really interested in doing a personal swap, especially for greener things like reusable lady items, wool dryer balls, or other such things.  I can knit, sew, draw, and put things together in pretty neat ways.  Please PM me if you're interested.
Jatoha
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010 05:26:01 AM »

It's Wonderful!!  What a nice thrill for all the kids to see Snow White!  You did a fantastic job.

The zipper being upside down makes me giggle, - oh how many times I've done similar things!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimchery
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010 03:30:05 PM »

So movie accurate, I kept going back and forth between you and the movie looking at each part individually.  You did a great job!  We have the movie. 

The funny thing, right when I was reading the part about the kids at the parade, my 3 y.o. daughter came up beside me and said, "Wow, that's Snow White!  That's the REAL Snow White!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

darth_unicorn
Exar Kun

I find your lack of faith disturbing- Darth Vader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011 06:18:52 PM »

I love it!!! As of recent, Snow White has become one of my top princesses. I always used to underestimate her, but she has really creeped up to the top for me. I think you did a fantastic job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find your lack of faith disturbing. -Darth Vader
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Straightening Techniques
Sexy Short Hairstyle Tips
How to Dye Hair at Home
How to Create a Messy Ponytail
How to Do the Slip Knot Braid
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...